• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Whole World Over

zoe b

just finished reading The Whole World Over by Julia Glass.

It's wonderful novel--and the whole plot hinges on a piece of cake--someone tastes a piece of cake that one of the main characters has made and this changes the lives of almost everyone in the novel.

The whole book is filled with food--home food, restaurant food, ranch food--all sounding delicious.

I just realized that the cooking frenzy I've been in for the past few days is inspired by the food in the book.

Just wanted to add that it's not some mystery with recipes--she's a great writer--got the National Book Award for her first novel.

yeah, I just got the first book out of the library and i discovered that one of the characters in the Whole World Over is in The Three Junes--I love when an author does this--it reminds me of the Victorian novels that create an entire continuing world to get lost in.

Zoe