• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stoneground Grits

Malibugal

Does anyone know a good online source for stoneground grits?

You can try here

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Or you could try Anson Mills. Probably one of the top choices for southern chefs and cooks alike. They grow only heirloom and organic corn and grind the grits as needed, so you are far less likely to get old or stale grits.

We like to store ours in the freezer to keep them from begining to mold.

www.ansonmills.com

I agree that Anson Mills is the best. They grind just prior to packaging and shipping.

The flavor is superior to any other commercial product I have tried.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

War Eagle Mill

I have never ordered from them. Just thought I'd mention that.

I have, they are very nice to work with and shipped my order right away. I have actually been to the mill in rural Arkansas near Fayetteville.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Does anyone have any experience with Nora Mill grits or cornmeal? Considerably cheaper than Anson Mills, which is tempting since my running out of grits this month -- just as I'm almost ready to cut into a home-cured country ham -- coincides with the Christmas and winter heating bills right around the corner.

Does anyone have any experience with Nora Mill grits or cornmeal?  Considerably cheaper than Anson Mills, which is tempting since my running out of grits this month -- just as I'm almost ready to cut into a home-cured country ham -- coincides with the Christmas and winter heating bills right around the corner.

I use Nora's Mill grits quite often since they are not too far away and I drive past there at least once every few months. I have never had any problems w/ them at all but not certain about their source of corn how ever the flavor is always very good and you know there is a lot of turn over w/ the tourist trade going in and out of Helen so they are going to be fresh.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

I use Nora's Mill grits quite often since they are not too far away and I drive past there at least once every few months.  I have never had any problems w/ them at all but not certain about their source of corn how ever the flavor is always very good and you know there is a lot of turn over w/ the tourist trade going in and out of Helen so they are going to be fresh.

Sounds good! Thanks for the input. I can get some corn meal and sorghum with the money I save over Anson Mills.

War Eagle Mill

I have never ordered from them. Just thought I'd mention that.

I have, they are very nice to work with and shipped my order right away. I have actually been to the mill in rural Arkansas near Fayetteville.

Ditto here. I've tried many of their products and have been very pleased.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Does anyone have any experience with Nora Mill grits or cornmeal?  Considerably cheaper than Anson Mills, which is tempting since my running out of grits this month -- just as I'm almost ready to cut into a home-cured country ham -- coincides with the Christmas and winter heating bills right around the corner.

Yeah and it is fun to go to the mill and tour around. Nothing wrong with their products.

I have ordered the white stone-ground grits from hoppinjohns.com and find them very good. I believe the price is better than Anson Mills and the shipping price gets better when you place a bigger order. Hoppinjohns claim they grind to order. It sometimes takes about two weeks.

I've ordered from Hoppin' Johns for a couple of years now - love their quality - but you do have to plan ahead - because they do grind to order - and if they're out of one item, ie. grits - they'll send one part of your order and then when the grits are ready they'll send them separately (with no extra shipping fee). They recommend that you keep all their products in the freezer - and another thing I've done is split an order with a friend to minimize shipping costs - b/c they ship three pounds (I think) for less than they would 1 pound....

Live and learn. Die and get food. That's the Southern way.

• 3 weeks later...

I've bought my grits through Lee Bros. The ones they sell are from the Old Mill of Guilford. I've been very pleased with them. Hoping to find more to try now that we've moved.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo