• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

recipe requires maple extract -- natural?

cognitivefun

I cook and bake with natural ingredients to the greatest extent. Some recipes call for maple extract and I don't want to use imitation.

There are probably other examples. Lemon, lime and almond seem to be available in their "real" incarnations. Vanilla of course. But maple? Is any "real" maple extract or substitute available?

I was thinking I could cut back on sugar and use real maple syrup. I don't know the ratios though.

Any ideas

Whole Foods sells Frontier natural extracts.

If you substitute maple syrup for maple extract, be sure you allow for the extra liquid you'll be adding to the recipe. Try decreasing another liquid in the recipe by 3 or 4 tablespoons for every cup of maple syrup you use.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow