• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honey

Jaymes

I can't believe noone has mentioned the Wondercup. This is what is was made for. As well as peanut butter, corn syrup, etc. It works great. It measures teaspoons, tablespoons, and cup sizes.

I agree, I have both the 1-cup and 2-cup and they work nicely for measuring sticky stuff and they are accurate!

I also have a set of the non-stick measuring spoons that I think are Calphalon - made of nylon. I also have the Danesco silicone measuring spoons and cups but I haven't found them to be particularly non-stick.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

IMHO, nothing beats the scale when it comes to measuring things like honey, corn syrup, and molasses. Even with the Wondercup, which is an awesome invention and probably the best way if you don't have a scale, you have the extra steps of measuring into a measuring cup before adding the ingredient to the rest of the recipe, and cleaning the measuring cup itself.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I agree with you Patrick, however a lot of people find it difficult to convert recipes to weight from volume.

Having been a commercial baker, I have converted many of my favorite bread, cake and etc., recipes to weight, but if I am trying a new recipe with volume measures, I prepare it as written and if I find it works for me, then I convert it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I scrape the residue out of the spoon with my (clean!) index finger--hands are useful tools.

This method has the particularly attractive result of a finger to lick honey off of. Makes it a winner in my book! :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot resist buying gourmet items on sale. I've bought all the jams and preserves we have at discount stores...Marshall's, Tues. a.m. etc. They're a good way to explore flavor combinations and give me ideas for when I'm inclined to can my own.

This trip I bought 2 jars of orange blossom honey, from Italy. Since honey keeps so well I didn't hesitate to buy them when they were marked down to 5$ from the original 20.

I'm looking to do something different. I'd like some recipes and/or ideas. One I had was to help out a friend who's having a dinner party, and bake a brie w/puff pastry and pour honey over the warm dish and serve w/ water crackers. Kept warm on a plate on a warming tray. Then I started imagining Italian cheeses somehow incorporated into a dish with honey...then went back to the puff pastry (I want to do it right, I ordered the pastry from Defours) and imagined an apple tart, w/cheese. Problem is apple and orange doesn't ring right to me. Maybe I'm over thinking the orange flavor of the honey.

So, if you had the honey, what would you do with it to show it off to it's best advantage? I want to have fun with it.

EDIT: I had to edit my edit...another first!

Edited by highchef (log)

I cannot resist buying gourmet items on sale. I've bought all the jams and preserves we have at discount stores...Marshall's, Tues. a.m. etc. They're a good way to explore flavor combinations and give me ideas for when I'm inclined to can my own. 

This trip I bought 2 jars of orange blossom honey, from Italy. Since honey keeps so well I didn't hesitate to buy them when they were marked down to 5$ from the original 20.

I'm looking to do something different. I'd like some recipes and/or ideas. One I had was to help out a friend who's having a dinner party, and bake a brie w/puff pastry and pour honey over the warm dish and serve w/ water crackers. Kept warm on a plate on a warming tray.  Then I started imagining Italian cheeses somehow incorporated into a dish with honey...then went back to the puff pastry (I want to do it right, I ordered the pastry from Defours) and imagined an apple tart, w/cheese. Problem is apple and orange doesn't ring right to me. Maybe I'm over thinking the orange flavor of the honey.

So, if you had the honey, what would you do with it to show it off to it's best advantage? I want to have fun with it.

EDIT: I did not mean to post this on media/news...but cooking. will someone move it over there? I'd do it, but don't know how. Thanks

How about making some nougat! Recipe and picture here and in recipeGullet.

Fresh ricotta drizzled with honey...actually I think you press the cheese into a mold to drain it a bit and then drizzle.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I like honey ice cream... It's very nice with apple tarts. I don't think that orange flower honey really has an orange taste, but I guess your tastebuds will be the final judge.

Here's a thread on honey cakes with lots of nice recipes.

Other flavors which pair well with honey:

rosemary and honey

chile and honey

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 8 months later...

Tainted Chinese Honey exported to US

"Almost 70 percent of the honey consumed in our country is imported – most of it from China," ....

Imported honey is an ingredient found in a wide array of products including cereals, snacks, meats and beverages and is also a common ingredient in many health and beauty products.

In 2002 and 2003, the FDA and U.S. Customs seized multiple shipments of Chinese honey at U.S. ports which were contaminated with chloramphenicol, an antibiotic that is banned in food products in the U.S. because of its potentially life threatening effects.

... the antibiotic chloramphenicol is a food contaminant that can cause idiosyncratic aplastic anemia.

I wonder 1) why did it take so long to respond to this ? Is it now national beat-on-China year? and

2) how in all creation did antibiotics get into honey, and why?

The melamine in the petfood material was to give high nitrogen levels, making it seem the protein content was higher than it really was. But whats the thing with antibiotics and honey?

Can anyone shed light on this?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

The contaminated dog food scare was the 'tip of the iceburg' amd anyone who thought that they would no see more of this sort of thing was not realising the extent of the problem. We purchase our honey about 1/2 mile down the road from a bee keeper. Finding local honey producers is very simple as well as being aware of the sourcing of the other products one purchases. We purchase as much local as we can now and the rest from USDA controlled sources. Nothing from China anymore. You can be sure more instances of contamination will follow.-Dick

Doesn't surprise me. We get so much stuff from China now, yet the regulations there are quite a bit more lax than in the U.S. I also agree it's just the tip of the iceberg.

• 1 month later...

:cool:

Freshherbs:

You might want to get a duplicate of this post set up in the "Elsewhere in Europe" segment of the geographic forums, just to cover all bases.

Wish I could help...I have no better lead for you than that.

:huh:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

• 3 weeks later...

September is National Honey Month! :smile:

Just last night, just by chance, I was going to toast some wild rice bread and noticed I was out of jelly/jam. It was Sunday night, and nothing conveniently located would be opened except convenience stores. :sad:

I did have a jar of honey in the cupboard though, so I buttered the toast and gave it a thin coat of honey. :cool:

mmmmmmm mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmm :wub:

Does anybody have any favorite honey recipe to share? :hmmm:

SB (my regards to the bees :biggrin: )

mead! :wink:

dockhl, that rib recipe suggestion you gave sounds amazing! and i don't even usually like sweet "savory" (non-dessert) dishes!

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I am here in the land of milk and honey, at least metaphorically. Before me sits a scoop of yogurt, thick as ice cream, sitting in a bowl in a scoop well-rounded, creamy white and thick as French buttercream. Over the top of it and pooling around is golden Appalachian honey.

Easiest thing in the world to make and it always tastes good.

The yogurt itself is thicker than Fage and it costs the same for two pounds of it as a small container of Fage. Its name is Karnak. Grade A Plain Yogurt Village Style.

And although Karnak sounds like something from Star Wars, it is not scary at all.