• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I just can't seem to . . . .

Stone

I have a deep fryer I purchased from Home Shopping Network. It works terrific. It's a rectagular basket (large enough for 3-4 soft shell crabs) with temperature control and lid. It works like a charm and cost just $74!!

I had the DeLonghi rotary fryer - wasn't pleased. Sometimes in didn't rotate and the food always seemed overly greasy.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Sushi really ain't all that hard. Maybe people want you to think it is difficult, that way they can justify charging the enormous amounts of money for what is actually quite a basic dish (or is it only expensive in the UK?)

Cheap sushi is easy. Bad sushi is common and commonly expensive.

Good sushi is very very hard. Excellent sushi is a miracle that brings tears.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

re:Fear of shellfish, here's a tip: start out small, by broiling or grilling shrimp on skewers. When the grey parts turn pink, flip until the othr side just turns pink. They'll be perfect.  It's way too easy to overcook shellfish.

Thanks....will buy with the shell still on then. Bought with the shell off cause shell on was 10 bux a pound. Whoa! Will try your suggestion. :cool:

Mayonnaise.  Shameful, isn't it?

Yes.

Whats the problem exactly?

I can't make it.

It goes all grainy. I suppose that means it separates, technically speaking.

Yes - I have exactly the same problem. I have friends who can whip up mayo with a whisk, a blender, a hand-blender - it's always perfect. Me, I just destroy egg after egg after egg. And yet I've never messed up hollandaise or a bearnaise...strange. :huh:

Mayonnaise.  Shameful, isn't it?

Yes.

Whats the problem exactly?

I can't make it.

It goes all grainy. I suppose that means it separates, technically speaking.

Yes - I have exactly the same problem. I have friends who can whip up mayo with a whisk, a blender, a hand-blender - it's always perfect. Me, I just destroy egg after egg after egg. And yet I've never messed up hollandaise or a bearnaise...strange. :huh:

Do you use a food processor? I follow the recipe (instruction is more apt) that came with my cuisanart. A little oil, two egg yolks, and some mustard and lemon juice in the bowl. Start it going, and drizzle more oil in the hole. I have to admit, I do more of a pour than a drizzle. Works for me every time.

Two rice "secrets" that I use. For regular white rice, I do it like pasta. Just boil a big pot of water, and throw the rice in, leave it uncovered, let is boil, taste if after 10 minutes (rice can vary a lot), cook it some more if necessary, drain it in a colander when it's ready...pretty foolproof.

For basmati, I rinse the rice as usual, then parboil it for 5 minutes in boiling water, then drain, but not too too thoroughly. Put it in a heavy pot, put foil over the top and crinkle, and then the lid, and bake in a pre-heated slow oven (300 works fine) for at least 45 minutes, but longer is okay too, I've found. I usually add a little oil or some butter. And some spices if that's what I'm wanting (coriander seeds, peppercorns, cardamon, kalonji, etc)

Two rice "secrets" that I use.  For regular white rice, I do it like pasta.  Just boil a big pot of water, and throw the rice in, leave it uncovered, let is boil, taste if after 10 minutes (rice can vary a lot), cook it some more if necessary, drain it in a colander when it's ready...pretty foolproof.

I used that method for years....then I "accidentally" forgot one day. And decided draining was a hassle when you have kids.

Now I use the 2:1 water to rice ratio (that means 2 coffee mugs of rice to 4 coffee mugs of water in my house) , bring it to a boil and then simmer, covered, over a real low flame till all the water evaporates. I then turn off the heat and let it steam fluffy. I only stir it when it's done. Works for me. :cool:

I usually add a little oil or some butter.  And some spices if that's what I'm wanting (coriander seeds, peppercorns, cardamon, kalonji, etc)

That sounds nice Nina.... :hmmm: much better than my boring ole, pat o butter with salt and pepper mix. :smile:

I cant seem to get that really nice crust on a piece of fish when you pan fry it in butter.  I have tried mahi mahi and halibut.

I use a trick I learned from a Mark Bittman column, which is to cook the fish mostly on one side: sear it quickly on the flesh side, then finish cooking (I do it in the oven) skin-side down.

That's for fish with tasty skin, but I assume it would work fine with skinless fillets, too. Just serve it crispy-side up.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Schielke, moveth not thy fish. Leave it presentation side down in the pan for most of the cooking time, flipping gently near the end.

Also, a truc from Thomas Keller: After drying the fish thoroughly, lightly but firmly scrape the skin with the back of your knife to remove moisture before putting it into the pan.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I LOVE to cook, but the one thing that has always utterly frustrated my attempts to produce the perfect result ( actually even a result that is edible) is Candy.

Broad group you say.. yep.. the only one I can get right is toffee.. forget fudge or coconut ice, or anything else. I might as well just throw all the ingredients straight in the rubbish bin before I go to the trouble of trying to make something that is worth eating. That's where it usually ends up!

For those of you that have trouble baking, lets swap secrets, you tell me how to make candy I will teach you how to bake!  :sad:

The last person I gave this recipe to (after she said she "couldn't make fudge") is now selling it! She's known as "The Fudge Lady." :biggrin:

Fantastic Fudge

4 1/2 C sugar

1 12-oz can evaporated milk

dash salt

1/2 lb butter

3 C semisweet chocolate chips

dash salt

3-4 C chopped walnuts

1 Tb vanilla

Combine sugar, milk, dash salt in large heavy saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook 14 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While syrup is cooking, put butter, chips, dash salt into large mixer bowl. When syrup is cooked, pour over chips and butter and blend; start on low speed, gradually increasing to high, for a total of 10 minutes.

Add walnuts and vanilla and combine well. Pour into 9x13 pan and refrigerate till solid.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Are you trying to remove them from the pan using a spatula? That would tear them. Instead, just loosen an edge and turn the pan upside down, give it a shake if necessary and the crepe will fall out onto the plate you have conveniently placed beneath. If absolutely necessary, tap the bottom of the pan with a big spoon a couple of times.