Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Marzano's in the UK?


Recommended Posts

HI guys

any idea where I can get San Marzano tomatos in cans? I'm on an italian kick after reading Locatelli's new book, but all the shops around here are fairly rubbish for decent tomatos, and although homegrown are good, they're pretty hard to come by at the moment.

Online stores are best, although supermarket suggestions would be fantastic also.

Thanks everyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am a psycho about my peeled tomatoes. Since I moved to England every time I see a different brand I need to buy to check the quality. So far I haven't find my ideal brand but I still have a couple untried cans in the closet.

If you go to www.portobellofood.com they have the "puma conserve brand", I tried they underoils in the past and are the best strore bought I ever had, so I ordered their peeled tomatoes, I am not totally convinced. Their passata instead is very good.

I am getting to the point of trying to order from Italy my favourite brand...

Edited by Franci (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You may not be aware of this related thread from your forum

I had always assumed Italian food items worth buying were fairly easy to obtain in major cities in the U.K.  I know Adam Balic complains about Scotland, though.

I appreciate pointing me in the direction of the thread, but unfortunately my Sainsburys doesn't sell them, and I don't really want fresh ones anyway, but tinned/canned.

Franci - I'm the same way, I hate 90% of canned ones, but the other 10%? :wub: It's just finding them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You may not be aware of this related thread from your forum

I had always assumed Italian food items worth buying were fairly easy to obtain in major cities in the U.K.  I know Adam Balic complains about Scotland, though.

I was buying fresh baby San Marzano from Sicily at Borough Market and you can still buy fresh regular size San Marzano.

But the canned one are not easy, meaning yes, I can find them easily but I am not totally satisfied. The passata from puma conserve (not the peeled) at Portobellofood is still my favourite but it's quite expensive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, I forgot! I haven't try this one yet

Pelati di Motticella

given how much they cost better be good.

If I think they come from my area and that all my neighbours are busy with the yearly production of peeled tomatoes make me think of the ironies of life :laugh:

Edited by Franci (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, I forgot! I haven't try this one yet

Pelati di Motticella

given how much they cost better be good.

If I think they come from my area and that all my neighbours are busy with the yearly production of peeled tomatoes make me think of the ironies of life  :laugh:

I like those a lot, despite the awful cost. You can get them from Solstice.

I'd be interested to know what you think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morrison/safeway carrys Cirio Pelati. These are made of the San Marzano's most robust variety . Cirio actually has a kind of "seeds" bank were the original varieties (before the SM 2) are kept.

Il Miracolo di San Gennaro is quite good, but as far as I know is not available in UK.

Cirio are actually good? Tell me it's true, I'm off to buy a dozen cans if so!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...