• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fellow eGullet members coming to Beckley, WV

djsexyb

a group of us will be coming going to Winterplace Ski Resort over the christmas-new years holiday and staying in Beckley, WV. i was wondering if there are any places off the beaten track (fine dining, burger joints, whatever!) that are worth looking up. its nice to stray away from the tourist restaurants and into the local life.

Also, since we will be there for New Years, any good night clubs around (preferrably 20 years old and over, as one of or guest is just shy of the big 2-1)?

i know its a ways away, but the planning is in the works now, thanks in advance.

M

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

gotcha. looked it up and yes they're still there, here's the link:

http://www.the-char.com/index.htm

Looks old school supper club like you said, but deffinately a contender for a nice night out. The wine menu looks quite nice too. good find!

anyone else with suggestions? Especially nightclubs, we really dont mind driving ten to twenty minutes away either...

Thanks!!

Grand Cru Productions

in Chicago, Illinois

Is there any food worth seeking out the Tamarack/"Bset of West Virginia" complex?

A friend from WVa, who hasn't been Tamarack but knows of it, mentioned it as an idea. There wasn't much info on the web but there appeared to be restaurant?/concession? operated by staff from Green Briar Resort.

I guessing the Green Briar itself and the town it is in are too far away?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Greenbrier is at least 60 miles away. Not sure about Tamarack but I wouldn't bet on it. Make sure you visit the New River Gorge. Once you go skiing and see that, you've exhausted the charms of the area.

Is there any food worth seeking out the Tamarack/"Bset of West Virginia" complex? 

A friend from WVa, who hasn't been Tamarack but knows of it, mentioned it as an idea.  There wasn't much info on the web but there appeared to be restaurant?/concession? operated by staff from Green Briar Resort.

Greenbrier is at least 60 miles away.  Not sure about Tamarack but I wouldn't bet on it.  Make sure you visit the New River Gorge.  Once you go skiing and see that, you've exhausted the charms of the area.

A friend from WVa, who hasn't been Tamarack but knows of it, mentioned it as an idea.  There wasn't much info on the web but there appeared to be restaurant?/concession? operated by staff from Green Briar Resort.

new river gorge, got it. we were planningon hiking a bit so thats a nicec option. thanks guys

M

Grand Cru Productions

in Chicago, Illinois

I was there for a couple of days last year doing an energy audit, and I went to the Tamarack for dinner. They have a cafeteria there which I believe is operated by the Green Briar. The selections were pretty limited, but it was pretty good. Ambience-wise, it's sort of like eating in a food court, but with a better class of food.

The Tamarack is worth going to for itself, though. There's a lot of really neat craft stuff in there. In addition to selling a variety of crafts, they have various "artists in residence" there, and I saw, for instance, some incredible stained glass work in progress there.