• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkey - Where to Buy?

I/we want to have a turkey today. Non butter basted around 16-17 pounds. Any ideas?

Everything we have seen is butter basted . Many stores have no turkey at all.

We live in Vancouver but are willing to drive. Have checked Superstore,Costco,Capers and Super Value. Didn't check Whole Paycheck.

Thanks.

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain

Whole paycheck stocks turkey all the time - both whole and cut-up. Non butter basted. It'll cost big bucks though - you can call ahead to ensure availability and price.

They are also doing a whole cooked Thanksgiving dinner that promises to feed about 6 people for something like $180. Roasted turkey, stuffing, your choice of potatoes, and a choice of three side dishes - can't remember if they include a dessert.

I am so paranoid about a dried out turkey - that I don't think I could ever outsource Thanksgiving dinner.

I/we want to have a turkey today. Non butter basted around 16-17 pounds. Any ideas?

Everything we have seen is butter basted . Many stores have no turkey at all.

We live in Vancouver but are willing to drive. Have checked Superstore,Costco,Capers and Super Value. Didn't check Whole Paycheck.

Thanks.

AC and I had the same craving here and ran into the same problem (and came up empty). The best we could get was freezer burned left overs (probably from Easter) at many places or fresh Capon. I spoke with my mom at the time (it was labour day weekend when we had our craving) also and she noted there are few places that have them in the off season (non easter, X-mas or thanksgiving and had to settle on frozen :sad:).

officially left egullet....

What about the Turkey Place on Granville Island, across from Armando's ?

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Success

Turkey place at Granville Island did not have any whole fresh birds. :blink:

Armando did...fresh not frozen Grade A J.D Farms turkey $4.99 a pound. I feel violated about the price but I got what I wanted so I shouldn't bitch.

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain

Success

Turkey place at Granville Island did not have any whole fresh birds. :blink:

Armando did...fresh not frozen Grade A J.D Farms turkey $4.99 a pound. I feel violated about the price but I got what I wanted so I shouldn't bitch.

Glad you found one. AC and I were pissed that we did not. I would pay that price also but just could not find one here in TO. Give what I have paid for wine lately, 75 beans for a 15 pounder seems cheap......

officially left egullet....

• 1 month later...

After many years of ordering my Christmas dinner from the Sutton Place Hotel (my husband would sneak down with my brother-in-law and pick up the dinner because no one in the family knew our secret), I am going to break down and cook the meal myself. With turkey being the star of the show, I am wondering what to get and what's the best local source. For instance, is there such a thing as a heritage turkey available locally? I seem to recall a thread on chicken that recommended purchasing chickens that had been air chilled. What's the turkey equivalent? Years ago when I used to cook Christmas dinner I would order a NY-style kosher bird. I have no idea if this really does make a difference. And, once I locate this great turkey is brining still recommended?

So help me come back with a better-than-ever Christmas dinner starting with the best-available turkey.

Cheers,

Karole

After many years of ordering my Christmas dinner from the Sutton Place Hotel (my husband would sneak down with my brother-in-law and pick up the dinner because no one in the family knew our secret), I am going to break down and cook the meal myself. With turkey being the star of the show, I am wondering what to get and what's the best local source. For instance, is there such a thing as a heritage turkey available locally? I seem to recall a thread on chicken that recommended purchasing chickens that had been air chilled. What's the turkey equivalent? Years ago when I used to cook Christmas dinner I would order a NY-style kosher bird. I have no idea if this really does make a difference. And, once I locate this great turkey is brining still recommended?

So help me come back with a better-than-ever Christmas dinner starting with the best-available turkey.

I do the same thing. Why break with tradition ? Even if I have one too many eggnogs in the afternoon, I know a Detective who could probably get me out of hot water.

Christmas is for spending with friends, not hanging out with a turkey all day !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Karole,

I've cooked many-a-bird and don't really understand the conception that turkey is a week-long affair (by the way, I never ever exagerate). It's really not that challenging.

Here's my thoughts when it comes to the bird itself:

- don't worry about birds that are injected with this or that or are butter-basted - not worth the money in my opinion

- Grade A or Premium grade birds are fine and in my case, utility are perfect

- free range or organic are nice if you can afford the exponential increase in cost - but usually not necessarily worth it

Here's Brians cooking method:

- buy a bird - fresh or frozen - plan on 1 lb per person (yield is about 50-60%)

- defrost it if frozen and then brine it in 1 cup salt (kosher or rock) and 1 cup sugar with 4 L of really cold water - add ice and refridgerate

- brine for the same time at the weight of your bird - 20 lb bird = 20 hours

- rinse and cook at 350F uncovered until breast temp is 170F (usually about 3 hours)

- rest 20 minutes - carve and don't forget to wear your bib - the juices are wonderful

Here's a link to my blog and practising with brines:

House of Q Blog - Turkey Brine

Good luck and once you've cooked your bird, we want pictures!

Brian

Edited by BBQ Brian (log)

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

Karole,

For local non-medicated turkeys (no prozac even if they were depressed? - poor things!)

http://www.jdfarms.net/aboutus/

Not to name drop, but this is appropriate given the subject. I had dinner last night at Bishops with Barbara Fairchild - editor for Bon Appetit Magazine. She mentioned that she always made "Roast turkey with herb rub and shitake mushroom gravy" from Bon Appetit November 1994. She varied the recipe last year and everyone was horrified.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/801

I've made it myself several times and it is absolutely fabulous. Having the stock in the pan while the turkey roasts is key. I usually add a lot of different mushrooms along with the shitakes to the gravy.

Happy roasting.

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

Mmmmm, that sounds yummy.

Turkey was never a big fave of mine, either.

Like coffee, it often smelled better than

it tasted. Hated the dry, cardboardy way it flaked apart.

Then I discovered fresh free-range and never went back.

The difference is astounding. Imagine an actual juicy bird!

As far as cost, I think it's worth it. You only do it 2 or 3 times

a year, and when you figure how much it adds up per person,

it's still way cheaper than a restaurant.

As far as ordering it from a hotel or restaurant, man I just

can't see doing that. I understand where Neil is coming from,

that he'd rather spend time with the family (and lord knows

he could use a break from cooking), but really, what's involved

with a turkey? Stuff it, rub it down with butter and herbs, jam

it in the oven and voila. Most of the work seems to be in the carving and gravy,

and seems to me you do that anyway with a restaurant-bought bird, no?

I just couldn't live without that glorious smell wafting through the house...

As for where to pick up one of these fine specimens, I get mine from Cioffi's

on Hastings in Burnaby. You order it ahead of time and it comes in fresh,

pretty much any size you want. Highly recommended.

Here's Brians cooking method:

- buy a bird - fresh or frozen - plan on 1 lb per person (yield is about 50-60%)

- defrost it if frozen and then brine it in 1 cup salt (kosher or rock) and 1 cup sugar with 4 L of really cold water - add ice and refridgerate

- brine for the same time at the weight of your bird - 20 lb bird = 20 hours

- rinse and cook at 350F uncovered until breast temp is 170F (usually about 3 hours)

- rest 20 minutes - carve and don't forget to wear your bib - the juices are wonderful

WHAT??? You're not gonna smoke it??? I'm so disillusioned :huh:

I'm using an apple-juice and bourbon brine this Christmas, and then I'm gonna smoke me a bird! We'll also do a regular bird (maybe that Bon Appetit recipe) for those less adventurous. But damn that smoked turkey is good!

As for where to pick up one of these fine specimens, I get mine from Cioffi's on Hastings in Burnaby. You order it ahead of time and it comes in fresh, pretty much any size you want. Highly recommended.

I get mine from Cioffi's too. Fresh, organic, free-range ... yadda yadda yadda. The fmaily used to get their's from Rocky's down Hastings from Cioffi's, but ever since Rocky retired, it's not bee the same.

A.

I agree! I used to ALWAYS order mine from Rocky but, you're right,

since he retired things have gone downhill. I was guilty to leave them

and take my business to Cioffi's but, whaddya gonna do? It's better.

I was starting to suspect Rocky's birds were not free-range, particularly

after spending a half hour carving the fat off before roasting it....

Kinda on thread . . . I seem to recall a previous year's discussion about turkey that had posters advising against stuffing the turkey. I've always stuffed the turkey. 'Cause the stuffing inside the bird is the stuffing, and the extra cooked in the casserole is just . . . stuff. What's the local consensus?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

WHAT??? You're not gonna smoke it???  I'm so disillusioned :huh:

Well Arne, yes... that's usually the method however here and again and when the smoker is at home and I'm in Edmonton I gotta resort to the traditional oven method. (More like I need to remind myself that the big box-like device in the kitchen does not need wood or charcoal - just turn the knob to 350F - somehow it goes to that temperature - imagine that - no charcoal?)

Same juicy bird but without the lovely yummy smoke flavor.

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

Kinda on thread . . . I seem to recall a previous year's discussion about turkey that had posters advising against stuffing the turkey.  I've always stuffed the turkey.  'Cause the stuffing inside the bird is the stuffing, and the extra cooked in the casserole is just . . . stuff.  What's the local consensus?

Hey is that a quote from me? I agree, actually stuffing the bird is a requirement. "Stuff" outside of the bird - talk about dry! Also if you include sausages / fat in your stuffing, it helps keep the bird moist. Why don't people stuff, is there some sort of health concern or something? Vancouver. There, it's still locally relevant.

Kinda on thread . . . I seem to recall a previous year's discussion about turkey that had posters advising against stuffing the turkey.  I've always stuffed the turkey.  'Cause the stuffing inside the bird is the stuffing, and the extra cooked in the casserole is just . . . stuff.  What's the local consensus?

Hey is that a quote from me? I agree, actually stuffing the bird is a requirement. "Stuff" outside of the bird - talk about dry! Also if you include sausages / fat in your stuffing, it helps keep the bird moist. Why don't people stuff, is there some sort of health concern or something? Vancouver. There, it's still locally relevant.

One explanation I've been given, by a Vancouverite (to keep it local) is that a stuffed turkey takes longer to cook so you are increasing the likelihood of a dry bird. I always stuff and don't have any problems.

Cheers,

Anne

Why don't people stuff, is there some sort of health concern or something?  Vancouver.  There, it's still locally relevant.

Nice try :laugh: There are health concerns with stuffing. The stuffing can harbour harmful bacteria that won't get to a high enough temperature inside the turkey. Theory is that by the time the stuffing gets hot enough, you'll have some dried-out turkey. If you are going to stuff the turkey, it should be done just before placing in the oven and not ahead-of-time.

Stuffing cooked separately from the turkey, I believe, is 'dressing'. (IF you cook it this way, make sure to pour some turkey juices over it to get the flavour in it)

Now - Back to where/what turkeys to buy?

Ham!!

25 years of cooking turkey in hotels (Thanksgiving and Xmas) has put me off turkey forever. My favorite way of cooking turkey if I'm actually forced to do one is to de-bone, brine (brown sugar, sea salt and bourbon) and roast.

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef