• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Recipe: Graham Cracker thingy

gfron1

A while back I made a madras curry marshmallow inspired by the Marshmallow thread. And it was a huge hit, so now I want to put it on top of a graham cracker and coat it in chocolate. But, I don't want just a graham cracker...I want something like a graham cracker that would be around 1.5-2" thick and not hard as a rock. I thought about making a shortbread using graham, but figured someone out there would have a better idea. Thanks in advance.

I guess a bit more detail would help. I want it to be sturdy enough that it can be picked up like a bar, but crumbly enough that it won't be difficult and messy to eat. That's what made me think of a shortbread consistency.

How about something like the traditional English Digestive biscuit - they work well with savoury or sweet things (and the Chocolate coated ones are divine)? I cant find my recipe at present but it is similar to <a href = "http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/DigestiveBiscuits.asp" >THIS ONE</a>

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

How about something like the traditional English Digestive biscuit - they work well with savoury or sweet things (and the Chocolate coated ones are divine)?  I cant find my recipe at present but it is similar to <a href = "http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/DigestiveBiscuits.asp" >THIS ONE</a>

I eat McV plains by the tube! Do you think you could make it 1 inch thick though? I want these to feel more substantial than a cookie...more like a decadent bar. My marshmallow is going in a 2 inch half dome and I was going to make the cookie/pastry/cracker thing either in, or cut by my 2 inch pastry mold. I want kids to pick them up and grossly shove the whole thing in their mouths (as I would), but my 90 year old grandmother to be able to delicately cut it with a fork with her tea.

edited to add: BTW, I really do appreciate these suggestions, and my responses are only to give you more info so I can get to the perfect idea (not naysaying) - if I knew what to do I wouldn't have needed to post this, but on this concept, I'm lost :)

Edited by gfron1 (log)

I eat McV plains by the tube!  Do you think you could make it 1 inch thick though?  I want these to feel more substantial than a cookie...more like a decadent bar.  My marshmallow is going in a 2 inch half dome  and I was going to make the cookie/pastry/cracker thing either in, or cut by my 2 inch pastry mold.  I want kids to pick them up and grossly shove the whole thing in their mouths (as I would), but my 90 year old grandmother to be able to delicately cut it with a fork with her tea.

I've never tried to make them an inch thick - I dont see why it wouldn't work, their texture is a bit shortbready, isn't it? Perhaps one of the professional bakers reading this could comment about an adjustments to the recipe or baking time to make them thicker without them turning out like bricks.

I guess any failed experiments could be crumbled up and used for cheesecake bases anyway!

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

• 4 weeks later...

I finally finished this project. I modified a recipe from allrecipes.com.

1.5 C whole wheat

1/2 C all-purpose

1 t. baking powder

2 T. oats

1/2 C. butter

1/2 C. brown sugar

1/2 C. milk

Oven to 375.

Sift flours and baking powder. Add oats. Cream sugar and butter, and to dry ingredients. Stir in milk and knead until smooth. Then I forced dough through a grater and press lightly into my pastry forms. That gave me just what I was looking for - sturdy enough to handle but delicate enough to eat.

Then I added my madras curry mashmallow and drenched in Cluizel Mangaro Lait.

currymarsh1.jpg

currymarsh2.jpg

currymarsh3.jpg