• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cured Iberian Pork at CM

mikelbarnz

Just got back from Central Market Westgate in Austin. I was picking up some Molinari and Sons Copa and Salami in the deli, and asked if they were planning on stocking Jamon Iberico when it became available. The counterman replied that they didn't have it in stock "yet", but they had the lomo and the chorizo. The lomo is $90/lb. Jokingly, I said "Guess there's no chance of getting a sample", to which he responded, "Sir, I can give away as much as I want"!!!!!

It was divine, mood altering, bordering on life changing. Thinly sliced, when held to the light the meat was red and almost transparent, with a spiderweb of fat running through. I almost cried. If charcuterie and salumi interests you at all, get thee to CM. I'm already saving money to buy some.

• 3 weeks later...
Have you tried the other Iberico products?

I haven't had the lomo yet (my local shop didn't order it), but I had the chorizo and it's awesome. Chunks of fat that melt instantly on your tongue. They also had another flavor (fennel, perhaps) of the Iberico salami that I tried that was similarly fantastic.

$36/lb at "Feast!" in Charlottesville, VA (great meat/cheese shop - super nice folks run it)

-Dan

FYI - For those in Chicago or the western suburbs, the products are available at the Marion Cheese Market in Oak Park. Don't know all of the prices, but the lomo is $95/lb.

The producer, Embutidos y Jamones Fermin, is the first one certified by the FDA for export of Iberico products to the US. They are located in the northwest of Spain in an ancient village known as La Alberca. As a coincidence, I happened to be in La Alberca for a few days this past May and had an opportunity to tour the production facility. Very small (to me, at least) and spotless. They also had an FDA certified inspector at the facility on a full-time basis. One of the owners mentioned that, due to the demand from the US, their order book was filled 2 years out.

As a matter of interest, as good as their products are, the locals consider them average, at best. They directed me to their favorite shop where I purchased a nice supply of chorizo, salchichon, and lomo for a non-certified return to the US. Amazing stuff.

Edited by dls (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

For what its worth, Central Market in Houston now has some Iberico ham. They have two different cuts of it. Supposedly, some time during the summer, they will get an entire leg. Currently, it is $119/lb. I took home six slice for...err...$9. It is pretty amazing stuff. I'm not sure I think it is worth $100/lb more than traditional Spanish ham, but it IS really good.

I forgot to mention that they will give you samples...

Edited by Morgan_Weber (log)