• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter in a tube

jhlurie

I could go for this, but 6oz tubes are too small. I'm thinking caulk gun sized.

The thing that ticks me off about peanut butter is the pain it is to get out the stuff towards the bottom. In a tube theres virtually no waste.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If they put Peanut Butter in a big squeeze tube marketed towards parents I'd agree, but the commercial makes it clear that this isn't meant to go on a sandwich, Jay. The kids are just supposed to squeeze it into their mouths. It's meant to be a portable snack.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I had no idea that Englewood, New Jersey, was the home of Skippy, Hellmann's, and Thomas' English muffins.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Actually Unilever/Lipton/Best Foods is in Englewood Cliffs (poor fact-checking). I've worked there during one of my many temp jobs. They have a great company store. There are quite a few large companies/headquarters along Sylvan Ave/9W which parallels the Palisades.

Hey, what about putting toothpaste in a peanut butter-size jar?

Actually the tube idea for peanut butter is pretty cool, especially if they could mix jelly into it like Stripe toothpaste. It gets peanut butter into the carry-around snack category and removes the need for bread. Less cost, less calories.

If they put Peanut Butter in a big squeeze tube marketed towards parents I'd agree, but the commercial makes it clear that this isn't meant to go on a sandwich, Jay.  The kids are just supposed to squeeze it into their mouths.  It's meant to be a portable snack.

I have to contact the "Goober Grape" people !!

The kids are just supposed to squeeze it into their mouths.  It's meant to be a portable snack.

considering how good peanut butter is for you and all, do these parents also give their kids Crack in a Carafe as a midafternoon snck?

i'm eating dannon light n fit orange mango yogurt for the first time ever right now. i don't think i've ever seen a color quite like this. i don't think it's a color that one should be eating.

i'm eating dannon light n fit orange mango yogurt for the first time ever right now. i don't think i've ever seen a color quite like this. i don't think it's a color that one should be eating.

Stir a little ketchup into it.

I always thought they should put fois gras in a squeeze tube.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I think the peanut butter in a tube is a great idea. I could easily carry it around in my pocket whenever I have my dogs with me. It's a good way to keep them in tow and much neater than baggies of doggie treats.

re: the "PB& Jelly in a tube" idea.

It must have something to do with shelf-life, because they DO have a chocolate/peanut-butter hybrid in a tube, as well as the all peanut butter version.

do these parents also give their kids Crack in a Carafe as a midafternoon snck

Peanuts by themselves aren't that bad, but giving a kid pure Skippy is like shooting sugar straight into their veins. Isn't it? Not that a PB&J with Skippy is any better... and I practically grew up on that.

Okay, I guess peanut butter is pretty wholesome compared to a lot of the alternatives.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 8 months later...
I know, I know - it's probably more sterile and probably neater, too...but it just doesn't seem right.

Especially if you find yourself waking up on the couch cuzza a fight with your wife, brushing your teeth in the kitchen sink and you reach for the wrong tube.

Or, for some reason you're making a PB&J in the bathroom and it becomes a T&J.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

tomato paste, mustards, anchovy paste, marzipan. All things that are used sparingly.

Peanut butter, on the other hand, is used at least a couple of tablespoons at a time. I don't think it will become too widely accepted.

Won't chunky clog the tube?

Won't chunky clog the tube?

they already considered this and offer chunky in an "extra fiber" formula.

:biggrin:

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

It's hard to believe that a commercial could make peanut butter unappealing, but that one does it for me.

But is this as bad as peanut butter in a cellophane-wrapped slice, a la American Cheese? To me that's THE worst.