• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peanut Butter in a tube

jhlurie

Is anything done to the PB to make it tube-suitable? The stuff in the ad seems more liquid than regular peanut butter. Is it pumped up with even more vegetable oil perchance?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

My kids, who like peanut butter, have said

"EEEWWWWWW" at this one.

Do you squeeze it on bread and then spread it around?

Squeeze a dollop on a cracker?

Do kids throw the tube in their lunch box and squeeze out at lunch?

Yuck.

For some reason after reading lamb's post, I was struck with a mental image of feces in a tube. :shock: [Apologies for sharing that, but it had to be done.] It points out a fundamental (er, so to speak) flaw in the product concept. In order for it to work, it'll have to be colored blue, like so much other food for kids now.

from the web site:

the world's first and only web resource devoted to the collapsible squeeze tube industry.

now that's a claim to fame.

We used to pack PB into what were called Gerry Tubes, named after the gear mfr in Colorado. They were open at the non-lidded end, so you pack in anything squeezable, and they had a sort of key-clamp closing thingy that sealed the big end. Of course, the closure would always come off in your backpack and you'd have PB or margarine all over everything.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

The real question is what is more revolting.  This peanut butter in a tube, or the newly marketed Yoghurt in a tube.

I am personally quite disgusted by the yoghurt.

-Eric

I was too until I had them while skiing. Good snack, no spoon, good stuff. But then again just about any kind of food is after skiing hard. :biggrin:

We used to pack PB into what were called Gerry Tubes, named after the gear mfr in Colorado. They were open at the non-lidded end, so you pack in anything squeezable, and they had a sort of key-clamp closing thingy that sealed the big end. Of course, the closure would always come off in your backpack and you'd have PB or margarine all over everything.

I was starting to envision all the foods I could self-tube - until your last sentence!

The real question is what is more revolting.  This peanut butter in a tube, or the newly marketed Yoghurt in a tube.

I am personally quite disgusted by the yoghurt.

-Eric

I'm a big fan of the yogurt in a tube. Yogurt in a tube results in my kids eating yogurt at lunch rather than some kind of school crap. Also, if you freeze the tube-yogurt, it stays cold until it is eaten at lunch time.

What would be cool though, is if they put peanut butter in one of those Easy Cheese aerosol cans.

I actually find this idea somewhat appealing, or at least amusing. Shameful though it may be to admit, I've actually indulged in those cheese-like things in a can on rare occasions (typically involving immoderate consumption of ethanol and/or extreme laziness or both.)

Although I'll occasionally partake of the aerosol cheeselike stuff (Mmm, bacon-flavored), I am rather a peanut butter purist; sugar and hydrogenated whatever are right out. Peanut butter has peanuts and salt, and nothing else. Which seems to rule it out of appearing in an aerosol can, unfortunately. For no apparent reason, I don't think I'm willing to relax my standards for peanut butter in a can ('cheese' in a can can be enjoyed as a thing in it's own right, but not really as cheese. At the moment, I can't think I could say the same about aerosol 'peanut butter'.)

But I agree with Suzanne F that the idea of individually-wrapped slices of peanut butter (like those slices of american cheese) is utterly beyond the pale. [Did that ever actually make it to the market in wide distribution, or was it just someone's dream? I have no idea.] It has some merit WRT portion control, but I can't imagine it meets my defintion of peanut butter as peanuts and salt.

I think that when evaluating a product such as pb in a tube, or yogurt tubes, you need to acknowledge the convenience factor, and how that might tip the scales over the taste factor. Igf you're running from one activity to another with younger kids, the yogurt in a tube is great...in the car seat, pop open the tip, and they suck/squeeze happily away with minimum mess and fuss..plus, its relatively healthy. The PB gets a little glompy, but for a 6-8 year old looking to make a snack independently, its fairly easy to set them up with some crackers and let them squeeze. As close as I can tell, the yogurt tastes the same as any of those Dannon Animal yogurts/custard style yogurts, and the PB, not a favorite food of mine,seems its usual glompy self.

I've seen two types of products like this...one that I guess is individual servings of PB that is in like a push up type tube, and one that I assume has more than one serving of it in a tube that you can squirt it out of like ketchup. I think the one with lots of servings is cool but the individual thing just seems weird because it doesn't look good for anything except eating PB by itself...and that is just weird.

Edit: Ive just seen the commercials, which is why I'm a little unclear on the concepts.

Edited by KateW (log)