• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Coffee in Yaletown area?

DJOblong

Hey all

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what the best coffee going in Yaletown area is. I regularly get mine at the Yaletown market near the corner of Nelson and Mainland. I have also tried the little French patisserie half way down that street, Urban Fare over by the old train depot, Blenz in the library foodcourt, Starbucks, Melriches and I think that's it.

I hate Starbucks :angry: - I always need to order an extra shot in whatever they serve.

I usually order a medium sized latte and I like it strong.

Anywhere I am missing? Yaletown market is good but inconsistent...

Cheers

Triggiano's at Davie&Homer? (also "good but inconsistent" experiences there for me). I too avoid Starbucks whenever other options are possible; amongst many reasons, I dislike the bordering-lukewarm temp (seems to me, anyway) their lattes are served.

I like Cito which is on Davie directly across from Urban Fare. My Triggiano experience is reasonable but overall I like the Cito beverages a lot more. I order an extra dry, non-fat cappucino so the shots are what's important.

The problem with any of the milk-based beverages at SB is the fact that the re-heat the milk over and over and over. One of the reasons Artigianno tastes so clean is the fact that they steam milk by the beverage and don't reheat old milk.

One of my clients is directly above the Latte Lounge on Mainland - I have never tried it and don't know why. I just always head for Cito. Any experience with the Latte Lounge - am I missing something great right under my nose, so to speak?

Cheers,

Karole

Cafe O at the Opus Hotel for a shot of espresso from their beautiful Synesso. I believe they're currently running Hines beans.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Tried Cito this morning. Like the vibe there. Buzzing even with the Evil Empire Outlet over the road and Urban Fare next door to that in direct competition. The latte was smooth but not quite as strong as I like. The pattern in the milk was a great touch - clearly a sign of care and passion in my book. I'll try it again next week and ask for it strong next time. Definite potential.