• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dairy-free chocolate frosting/Icing...

donyeokl

How about a simple icing or glaze of confectioner's sugar, Dutch Processed cocoa powder, a little vanilla extract, and boiling water? I've used this many times.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

How about a simple icing or glaze of confectioner's sugar, Dutch Processed cocoa powder, a little vanilla extract, and boiling water? I've used this many times.

Hi Merstar,

Would you be able to advise the quantity of each ingredients for making it to ice say a 9 inch cake?

Thanks again...

Cheers...

Don

Make a ganache with 2 parts bittersweet chocolate and 1 part soy milk. Let it set on the counter overnight, as it seems to be very hard to warm it just a little when it's been refrigerated. Slap it around a little with a spatula to loosen it, and you should be able to ice with it.

If it helps at all, I'd just substitute the butter in any recipe you like with Earth Balance Buttery Sticks.

This is exactly how we used to make our vegan frosting at the healthy crunchy grocery where I used to work. For stability we also used a combo with Spectrum trans-fat free shortening.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Hi Merstar,

Would you be able to advise the quantity of each ingredients for making it to ice say a 9 inch cake?

Thanks again...

donyeokl,

Are you making a single 9" cake or is this for a two layer cake?

By the way, I checked my files and I also have a Chocolate Water Glaze from Susan Purdy, which uses bittersweet chocolate instead of cocoa. If you're interested I can PM it to you, since we're not supposed to post published recipes on this site.

edit: Never mind - I found the link:

http://www.recipezaar.com/89594

Meanwhile, let me know if you still want me to post the cocoa/confectioner's sugar glaze/icing measurements.

Edited by merstar (log)

Hi Merstar,

Thanks again...

Don,

I just sent you a PM with the measurements.