• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet's Top 50 Restaurants 2006

ExtraMSG

1 Alinea

2. Chez Panisse

3. French Laundry/Per Se

4. Spago

5. Joel Robuchon

6. Le Reve

7. Masa

8. Alan Wongs

9. Daniel

10. Le Bernardin

11. Mangolia Grill

12. Michel Richard Citronelle

13. Charlie trotter's

14. Arrows

15. Cyrus

16. Striped Bass

17. Babbo

18. Lock-ober

19. Canlis

20 L'auberge Carmel

21. Bartolotta

22. Restaurant August

23. Inn at Little @ Washington

24. Ritz @ Buckhead

25. Vetri

26. Fore St.

27. Jean Goerges

28. Higgins

29. Da Marco

30. La Belle Vie

31. Parker's New American Bistro

32. Michy's

33. Frasca

34.Gramercy

35. Providence

36. Guy Savoy

37. Zuni

38. Urasawa

39. Bacchanalia

40. Sanford

41. York St.

42. Manressa

43. No. 9 Park

44. Trattoria Nostrani

45. Cafe Juanita

46. Paley's place

47. Lantern Restaurant

48. L'Etoile

49. Herbsaint

50. Nana

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I'm not sure Paley's or Higgins from here in Portland deserve to be there. And I'm damn sure Higgins doesn't deserve to be that high. But then some others that catch my eye seem inappropriate, too, like Zuni.

Lists like this are so annoying. To take two examples I'm very well aquainted with, in no way, shape, or form, on any planet is Magnolia Grill a better restaurant the Jean -Georges.

With that said, I like how they acknowledged Alinea with the top spot. That could be seen as a controversial choice, one that James Beard stayed away from.

Ive been to every single one

just kidding

While on a student's budget I would never be able to afford any of these in the near future. However when I start raking in the dough I will have a few restaurants on that list to go to that are in close proximity. Arrows, Locke - Ober, and No. 9 Park

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Having felt the rising gorge upon reading hundreds of such lists, I've come to the conclusion that they're not even meant to be taken seriously. They're purely commercial efforts: everybody in publishing knows that top-10/50/100 lists, ratings and category-awards sell. Even a relatively obscure website, if it releases a list of the 50 best something (and an accompanying press release) can place a few dozen newspaper stories on a slow news day. In Gourmet's case, it seems cynical to publish such a list when the magazine has made a big deal about moving away from the idea of reviewing restaurants.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

While on a student's budget I would never be able to afford any of these in the near future.  However when I start raking in the dough I will have a few restaurants on that list to go to that are in close proximity.  Arrows, Locke - Ober, and No. 9 Park

You might splurge on the bar menu at No. 9. Had gnocci and truffles there about this timelast year -- excellent stuff and affordable (if you don't eat or drink anything else :wink: )

Granted that these lists are more fordiscussion purposes than guidance, The DC boy in me was pleased to see Citronell ranked so high and surprised not to see the Mini-bar, Galileo's Il Labortorio or Maestro on the list. Certainly Il Labortorio is as good as Babbo, not to be taking shots at America's favorite Italian Chef.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Parker's New American Bistro, in Cleveland Ohio, is closing at the end of the year - Parker Bosley wants to devote all his time to the markets he has been working with.

However, perhaps with the opening of Michael Symon's Lola next week, Cleveland still has a shot at this list. I agree with Fat Guy - these lists are pretty silly anyway.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

In Gourmet's case, it seems cynical to publish such a list when the magazine has made a big deal about moving away from the idea of reviewing restaurants.

Funny... I was sitting in an emergency room of a hospital the other evening and lying there was a copy of Gourmet from the mid-90s. Not only were there a number of restaurant reviews (Masa's in San Francisco had just opened and was considered quite cutting edge in the review I perused), but there was also an extensive article about the faux-finishing/painting industry with LOTS of pictures of various finishes and students working on chairs and whatnot -- now THAT surprised me!

Lists like this are so annoying.  To take two examples I'm very well aquainted with, in no way, shape, or form, on any planet is Magnolia Grill a better restaurant the Jean -Georges.

Even though I have had some fine meals at Mag Grill, I am really looking forward to my first dinner this week end at Jean Georges.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

That is one wierd list, albeit I agree that it is an impossible and silly task.

Surprised to see Le Bernardin so low. Also and interesting choice at Alinea at #1..boy some New Yorkers are going to be pissed. :laugh:

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Also and interesting choice at Alinea at #1..boy some New Yorkers are going to be pissed.  :laugh:

I disagree. I'm trying not to generalize, but most serious NY diners admit that there's nothing like Alinea in NY. I personally would be hard pressed to name a restaurant in NY that's as ambitious as Alinea. I'm sure others would agree, even if they're not into the style of food.

Also and interesting choice at Alinea at #1..boy some New Yorkers are going to be pissed.  :laugh:

I disagree. I'm trying not to generalize, but most serious NY diners admit that there's nothing like Alinea in NY. I personally would be hard pressed to name a restaurant in NY that's as ambitious as Alinea. I'm sure others would agree, even if they're not into the style of food.

I absolutely agree, and I think with the exception of maybe WD-50 most NY'ers would agree. I meant more that they would be pissed that a Chicago restaurant was number 1.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Also and interesting choice at Alinea at #1..boy some New Yorkers are going to be pissed.   :laugh:

I absolutely agree, and I think with the exception of maybe WD-50 most NY'ers would agree. I meant more that they would be pissed that a Chicago restaurant was number 1.

Do people really feel this proprietary about someone else's list?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Fore Street (in Portland, ME) fully deserves being listed (#26). I go there every time I'm in the area, and it was so good a couple of weeks ago that I came back three days later.

There's an open kitchen with a wood-fired stove, and everything is impeccably sourced and perfectly cooked. The spiced-rubbed rotisserie pork (an enormous double chop) is as good as anything I've ever had.

For this quality, their prices are low -- most entrees in the low $20s, none over $30 -- $100 for two, including a glass of wine.

I've been to 10/50, most more than once ... definitely not the order I'd rate them. I am shocked that Gary Danko isnt' on the list ... but then, what is being rated is urban politics, not cuisine.

Read any of eGullet's local threads (e.g., Philadelphia) and you'll find new cutting edge chefs that could easily make this list in place of one of the old standbys ... but until they've been around long enough for the mass media (and the masses) to "discover" them ... and make them the "in" place to be this year ... they won't be recognized.

I've just learned of a little place up in Bucks County ... a true country inn by appearance ... owned by a commercial pilot who flies coast to coast weekly and brings back fresh Washington fish & seafood for his chef ... meals Monday or Tuesday night are to die for. On the national scene, no one will ever know about this place, but it easily ranks with some of the best meals I've had at the top 50 ...

Edited by JasonZ (log)

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK