• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a good Seafood restaurant

nizza

A friend of ours needs a really good seafood restaurant for next week. We are not seafood lovers and so I don't have any suggestions for him.

Can anyone suggest an excellent seafood place in either Essex, Passaic or Bergen?

Thanks!!!

It's very casual, but the seafood is very good at Caldwell Seafood on Bloomfield Avenue. The front is a restaurant, the back is a retail store that sells seafood. I don't know who serves better seafood.

Sinclair's in South Orange and previously Westfield was good, but it's long gone.

The former Peter's Whale in Fair Lawn has a new name which other posters will recall. I have not eaten at its current incarnation, but see other posts.

We had good seafood at CulinArianne in Montclair, even though it is not primarily seafood. Same is tru of Blu! Also in Montclair.

Edited by scarlet knight (log)

It would be helpful to know what you/he means by a seafood restaurant--lots of fish markets (Denville Fish Mkt comes to mind) have restaurants attached. Then again, Blu in Montclair always offers plenty of fish/seafood dishes (octopus, calamari, monkfish and mahi were all on the menu when I was there recently). SO...if you can give us more info, we'll try to help you out!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I know that Menton1 has been talking up Seafood Gourmet in Maywood for years. Here's a link to that thread here.

Yes, but I only know it as a retail seafood fishmonger. They did open up the back with 10 tables about 9 months ago, but the space looks very cramped. However, it is always packed, and I presume the food is decent, as their prepared foods are quite good for takeout.

SORRY, but, by no means did it have to be combined with a seafood store. Far from it! I really just meant a restaurant that served really good fish. When i said that we did not eat seafood - I guess - I should have just said fish and not use the word seafood.

Well, anyway, I will recommend what was posted above, but, if there are any more now that you know I was really asking for a restaurant - please post as I really appreciate all the input.

We have discussed this before, but basically North Jersey is a seafood wasteland. Unless you travel down to the Shore or the city, there are pretty slim pickings for good seafood.

There is a place in Piermont, NY, called Cornetta's, it's OK but not great. That's about it.

We have discussed this before, but basically North Jersey is a seafood wasteland.  Unless you travel down to the Shore or the city, there are pretty slim pickings for good seafood. 

There is a place in Piermont, NY, called Cornetta's, it's OK but not great.  That's about it.

Menton, I would have bet the house you'd recommend the Bonefish Grill , a chain owned by the same people as Outback, Carrabba's etc. :biggrin: Right up your alley.

Of course, I've been to their location in Bridgewater and thought it was ok. Not a rave, and not in the right place to have mentioned as an option for this topic.

Menton, I would have bet the house you'd recommend the Bonefish Grill , a chain owned by the same people as Outback, Carrabba's etc.  :biggrin: Right up your alley.

Of course, I've been to their location in Bridgewater and thought it was ok. Not a rave, and not in the right place to have mentioned as an option for this topic.

I've never heard of the place. :smile: Seems like a very peculiar name, subject to many sorts of jokes and malaprops.

I've only been to Cornetta's in the summertime outside on the river, but Í've heard that inside is more serious and pretty good for seafood. Link:

http://www.cornettas.com/test/index/

It's very casual, but the seafood is very good at Caldwell Seafood on Bloomfield Avenue. The front is a restaurant, the back is a retail store that sells seafood. I don't know who serves better seafood.

Caldwell Seafood was very good. I had some service issues, but they offer a wide selection of fresh seafood well prepared at reasonable prices.

I wrote a whole review I'd meant to post several months ago, then managed to close my browser window before I posted it... :wacko:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

I always like Legal Seafood, if you can put up with the crowds, at the Short Hills or Garden State Plaza Malls.

Then their is McCormick and Schmick's at Riverside Square Mall.

But they both have a good wine listd which I enjoy. Perhaps after a couple of glasses I fail to realize that the food is just not that great for the price.

I still enjoy both of these restaurants.

Though I really wish we had a place like Blue Point Grill in Princeton, here in North Jersey.

Another thought is Il Forno in Montclair, they always have very delicicous seafood on the menu. It varies from night to night. Massimo will only serve what is best from the market.

I've also enjoyed the seafood at Sri Thai, Montclair.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog