• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philadelphia Zagat Guide

Vadouvan

While some of it was sophomoric, some of the stuff Klein couldn't use was even better than some of the quotelets that do get in. Anyone wanna wager whether or not the two following comments refer to the same place?

"Food is striving for mediocrity. The only reason it stays around is that it preys on parents visiting their kids at Penn and Drexel."

"Fruity-tooty commie hangout, but the food is delicious."

And as for these diners:

"The owner was having lunch at the table next to ours and in spite of the fact that we had made a reservation from France, recommended by a 3-star Michelin chef colleague of his, we did not so much as receive an acknowledgment of our presence, save for the champagne on the house."

Maybe we could swing a reservation at Le Cirque for them?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I happen to have a free one year subscription to Zagaots online. It as useful and as reliable as any other guide/critic. It provides an idea of what to expect and more important provides telephone numbers. The only restaurant in Zagat's that we dined in the past few weeks was Lee How Fook and I would tend to agree with Zagat's assesment. The food is good and it is very reasonable.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I think the Zagat's guide is pretty good for a quick run down of a place, as in it is a good starting point to narrow down chioces for further exploration.

I was disappointed that they did not have the Dutch Eating Place at RTM listed but did include the Down Home Diner, though. However, I can't complain since they awarded me with $100 for being the "witty surveyor" for this year's edition. And no I did not make any of the the comments listed in the article! :biggrin:

I was THRILLED to see that the Grey Lodge Pub made it into the Philly Zagat. Notably absent: Delorenzo's Tomato Pies in Trenton.

sacrebleu, how can they explain this obvious oversight?

Sounds like a conspiracy of the crappy pizza joints, trying to blanket the area with mediocrity.

And is Trenton really in this area? How about either Newark?

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Since the Delaware Newark is in New Castle County, it definitely ought to be in the Philadelphia regiona guide.

The New Jersey one is clearly too close to New York.

Are there any Mercer County establishments in the Philadelphia Zagat guide?

(Actually, I can probably answer that question myself when I get home by looking through my partner's copy of the 2006 guide.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I was THRILLED to see that the Grey Lodge Pub made it into the Philly Zagat. Notably absent: Delorenzo's Tomato Pies in Trenton.

sacrebleu, how can they explain this obvious oversight?

Sounds like a conspiracy of the crappy pizza joints, trying to blanket the area with mediocrity.

And is Trenton really in this area? How about either Newark?

Looking at 05 and 06 Philadelphia guides, Trenton is not in either one. There is a New Jersey restaurant guide that Trenton places are in. So no oversight was made after all.