• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foie Gras in the Dordogne

dfunghi

I am trying to procure some really fine Fois for a party in Rome. I found this producer http://www.foiegras-minard.com/ and before I order I was wondering if anyone knew of him or knew of another. This is for preserved and bloc fois as fresh is too hard to ship. We will be shipping to Italy not USA so local southern France producers are welcome and do not need to have major web site, just phone or email.

TIA,

David

edited to add link

Edited by dfunghi (log)

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

There are many many good producers in the area. Hard to say who is best.

So, here's a link to the French Yellow pages.yellow pages You MUST go to the English version (click on the Union Jack); for some reason their search engine doesn't like the 'fois gras' in the French version. It comes up with lots of church categories.

I searched for: fois gras, then by region & finally by department. In my case I searched in Midi-Pyreenes, then Averyron and came up with 18 producers. I'm sure that other SW departments will produce good results.

I see that several producers advertise that they ship all of France, so they probably ship to Italy as well.

Good luck!

PS: those of us who live in the Rouergue are just naturally anti-Dordogne, but I'm sure you can find some kind of fois gras there as well.

Try "Foie" not "Fois" if searching. You may have more success!

Si

Duh! Never could spell or type.

Still it works in English.

Thanks.

Please note that I have corrected the spelling in the title so it is both accurate and searchable.

Now we can get off orthography and back to a supplier/shipper for David.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thank you all. I have some pretty well honed search methods and have a huge listing of producers. Many times the Govt. agency that regulates a product or service will provide a very comprehensive list. However they do not qualify them. I was trying to see if perhaps there is a well known top tier producer. It does not HAVE to be form the Dordogne. I bought fantastic foie (fois) in Spain last year in the Pyrenees but alas the label on the jar is long gone (but the foie was not) so I can not contact them. BTW well preserved foie will last over a year when kept well. I know, I bought it last June (2005) and we finished it yesterday.

I will keep checking back in for recommendations on specific producers.

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

David

These people have pretty good reputation. They make a number of foie gras products as well as other pates, terrines & conserves of various types.

They're large enough to be used to shipping outside of France.

Conserves d'Autrefois Ramond Fils (SA)

rte départementale 926 82160 Caylus

Phone: 05 63 67 06 14

Fax: 05 63 67 08 57

good luck

Dave

A book I have called Les Meilleurs Produits du Terroir, Guide des Gourmands recommends the following foie gras in the Dordogne (they have many others as well but not in the Dordogne)

Foie Gras Kuster

www.domainedebarbe.com

Manoir d' Hautegente

www.manoir-hautegente.com

Foie gras Perrier

but delivery only within the region

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I can highly recommend my favorite local supplier here in Gascony, Patricia Lamarouche. She raises Tete Rouge ducks- the densely flavored livers are prized by local restauranteurs. She works carefully and with a refined palate- I find her seasoning perfectly a point featuring her and her products at my cooking school.

For a more lyrical description and her address on my blog at French Kitchen Adventures. She has also vaccum-packed (sous vide) her excellent magret and other cuts for me for shipping as well.

Patricia LAMAROUCHE.

Adresse:, Puymartin,

Téléphone:, 05.53.97.58.84.

Code postal: 47230

City: Vianne

P.S. A French Kitchen tip: here, we think it is preferable to 'age' preserved foie gras and always use last year's jars or cans over a new batch. Before using, refrigerate overnight, then open and let 'breathe' for an hour before serving-- both temperature and texture will be perfect.