• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toothsome Tops?

Mottmott

What usually discarded leafy tops of vegetables are, in fact, edible or can be used as flavoring in soups and stews? Would the leaves and stems of celeriac or carrots be usable? I understand that the leaves of rhubarb and potatoes are toxic, so I'm loath to simply experiment.

I often use the leafy tops of root vegetables such as radishes and beets. I use the delicate tips of fennel as flavoring and garnish. I add stems of parsley in braises and soups, removing them before servings. I also sometimes use the "spine" of Russian kale by chopping and sauteing it to use in soups. I have read of using the spines of Swiss chard for gratins, but not yet tried it. And I've seen recipes that call for cilantro roots.

What "secondary" bits of plants do you use and how do you use them? Which leaves, stems, roots are dangerous and to be avoided?

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

i put carrot greens in salads. they taste like carrots, but bitter instead of sweet. radish greens make a great salad. beet greens are good sauteed or in soup, or if they're young in salad too.

i've infused vodka with fennel tips.

kale stems are indeed good chopped up in soups, or if you're going to braise it practically to mush indian-style, you can chop them up and just cook them with the leaves.

chard stems are indeed good for gratins. you can bread and deep fry them, too, and dip them in a nice spicy tomato sauce.

Carrot greens are great with chorizo or thyme -- I use them in pasta a lot, and I make a pesto-like, salsa verde-like, sauce with carrot greens blended up with garlic, chiles, oil, and sometimes other greens if I have them around.

They're one of the greens I use for gumbo z'herbes, too -- they don't really stand out there compared to the stronger flavors of beet greens and whatnot, but it brings the total number of greens up.

i put carrot greens in salads.  they taste like carrots, but bitter instead of sweet.  radish greens make a great salad.  beet greens are good sauteed or in soup, or if they're young in salad too. 

i've infused vodka with fennel tips. 

kale stems are indeed good chopped up in soups, or if you're going to braise it practically to mush indian-style, you can chop them up and just cook them with the leaves.

chard stems are indeed good for gratins.  you can bread and deep fry them, too, and dip them in a nice spicy tomato sauce.

I sweat onions, garlic, and chopped kale or chard stems in olive oil together before adding the greens. Sometimes, I add a bit of water/white wine/stock to them as they soften to keep them from browning, putting the greens in the pan when all the liquid's gone.

I like the idea of deep frying the chard stems. I haven't made the gratin because I'd add cheese, and I'm trying to moderate my fat intake. I've occasionally made soup of sauteed mirapoix and kale stems (with or without a couple leaves), spices and/or herbs, chicken stock. Then I puree and sieve it, add a touch of milk/cream before serving. It makes a nice, delicate soup.

beccaboo, when you make soup have you ever used parmesan rind during cooking?? I'm looking for something to do with some rind I've saved. At $15/lb, it would be nice to not throw the rind in the trash. :unsure::blink::blink:

But what about the celeriac leaves and stems I have sitting in my fridge? Are they safe to eat? I'm making braised short ribs tomorrow and thought I might put in a couple stalks while it braises. But I don't want to poison anyone.

beccaboo, when you make soup have you ever used parmesan rind during cooking??  I'm looking for something to do with some rind I've saved. At $15/lb, it would be nice to not throw the rind in the trash. :unsure:  :blink:  :blink:

But what about the celeriac leaves and stems I have sitting in my fridge? Are they safe to eat? I'm making braised short ribs tomorrow and thought I might put in a couple stalks while it braises. But I don't want to poison anyone.

I have used parmesan rinds, kind of like you'd use bay leaves, and it works pretty well.

The celeriac stems won't poison you--they're just like tiny celery stems.

beccaboo, when you make soup have you ever used parmesan rind during cooking??  I'm looking for something to do with some rind I've saved. At $15/lb, it would be nice to not throw the rind in the trash. :unsure:  :blink:  :blink:

I have used parmesan rinds, kind of like you'd use bay leaves, and it works pretty well.

The celeriac stems won't poison you--they're just like tiny celery stems.

Thanks, I thought the stems and leaves looked like an underdeveloped celery. Abd then, too, I couldn't imagine the WF selling it with the top if it were toxic, but in our present food marketing environment, one can't be too careful.

I nearly always cook the stems right along with the leaves whenever I do a braise of any cooking green--collards, kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, beet greens, you name it. If the stems are tough, like those of collards, I cut them into about 1/4-inch slices; if they're a little less tough, like those of mustard or beet greens, I cut them into longer segments. And then I just chuck 'em in along with the leaves and proceed with the recipe. I just started doing this on my own because I couldn't bear wasting all that stuff.

Speaking of celeriac: the little bit of root left on the bottoms of bunches of celery to keep the ribs together is wonderful. Basically, it's a little chunk of celeriac that you get for free along with your celery. :smile: I think it would be great in soups, stews, and stocks ... I dunno, because in my kitchen it usually winds up being a "cook's treat." :laugh:

I make a great rustic soup using spinach or kale. Chop up the stems and leaves of the spinach seperately. Saute the stems with some onions, add garlic, white wine, chicken stock and cubed potatos and simmer for 30 minutes. Puree with a hand blender, add some milk and some cooked white beans and puree just a bit more to break up the beans a bit but to still leave some whole. Throw in the spinach leaves and let it come back to the simmer just to wilt the leaves. Garnish with a good sharp cheese, lots of pepper and some peppery olive oil and dive right in.

soup10.jpg

PS: I am a guy.

I make a great rustic soup using spinach or kale. Chop up the stems and leaves of the spinach seperately. Saute the stems with some onions, add garlic, white wine, chicken stock and cubed potatos and simmer for 30 minutes. Puree with a hand blender, add some milk and some cooked white beans and puree just a bit more to break up the beans a bit but to still leave some whole. Throw in the spinach leaves and let it come back to the simmer just to wilt the leaves. Garnish with a good sharp cheese, lots of pepper and some peppery olive oil and dive right in.

soup10.jpg

Yum. That looks mighty appetizing.

mizducky, that's a good tip about the bottom of the celery. You can do the same thing with the cauliflower "stem." For a puree or soup, it's obvious, but for roasting, I cut the stem thinly so it will cook more quickly.

Of course, there's broccali. I like the stems better than the flowerets, they have a wonderful sweetness. The trick of course, is to pare off the tough outer coating. It amazes me to see people pay a premium to buy broccali that's had it's stem cut off!

edited to eliminate an extraneous "."

Edited by Mottmott (log)

I've often used beetroot tops if they have been young, fresh looking ones. They look great when mixed with coloured peppers:

http://cookingdownunder.com/articles/2003/162.htm (pic is towards bottom of page - I haven't worked out how to upload pix, sorry)

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves