• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosh Hashanah

paperwatermelon

Last minute decision, we have decided that instead of cooking for the Rosh Hashanah, we would like to dine out and/or take out for the holiday. Any suggestions on restaurants and/or caterers who are having dining specials and/or menu for the holiday? It can be kosher, but doesn't need to be. Thanks.

Livingston Bagel on Northfield Ave near the intersection of S. Livingston Ave is always a good bet for take-out!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

If you dine out, it would definitely have to be a non-traditional meal, as any place with traditional Jewish New Years food will be closed!

I suppose some of the Greek diners try to throw out a Jewish dish or 2, but how good could those be, and who wants to eat in a diner, anyway? Are you considering Asian food?

Livingston Bagel on Northfield Ave near the intersection of S. Livingston Ave is always a good bet for take-out!

I didn't know they were more then a bagel shop, we'll have to give them a try one day. It's a bit of a drive, but may be well worth it.

Edited by paperwatermelon (log)

If you dine out, it would definitely have to be a non-traditional meal, as any place with traditional Jewish New Years food will be closed! 

I suppose some of the Greek diners try to throw out a Jewish dish or 2, but how good could those be, and who wants to eat in a diner, anyway?  Are you considering Asian food?

I've heard that restaurants are having "traditional" meals for the new year, but I am unable to pin-point one. Suggestions?

I guess we would consider any selection of cuisine, but would enjoy a traditional meal for the holiday.

I didn't know they were more then a bagel shop, we'll have to give them a try one day. It's a bit of a drive, but may be well worth it.

I'm sure they'd be sorry/shocked to hear you say that! Trust me--FULL deli + prepared foods, great chopped salads, and some excellent ruggelah! :wink: And now there's a large place to eat in, as well--you go through the line, though--it's certainly not a restaurant.

L'Shanah Tova to all!

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."