• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Kitakyushu

prasantrin

I'm going to Kitakyushu for the JALT conference (near Kokura Station). Does anyone know of any good restaurants, bakeries, breakfast places, etc. in the area? We'll only be there for maybe one breakfast, two lunches, and one dinner. Cake shop recommendations are welcome, too!

As for price, we're probably looking at maybe Y1000 for lunches, and Y2000 for dinner. Pretty much anything goes in terms of food styles--we're not looking for any style, ethnicity, or food-type in particular. We just want good food!!

Mmmmmm....roll kasutera! I love roll cakes of all kinds (as long as the fillings use real dairy products), so perhaps that will be omiyage for work (of course I'll get one I really want to eat, too!).

I'm not a big yakiudon (or yakisoba) fan, but my friend likes it, so maybe it will grow on me. I found a couple of websites with English, but they're woefully out of date. If I'm lucky, I may get to eat at a good Mexican place, and a good Egyptian place! I found mention of a famous ramen shop, so I'll see if we can make it there, too.

I've never been to Kokura, but a quick google search reveals that roll kasutera and yaki udon are Kokura's specialties.

http://www.kokura-kurukuru.com/eat/index.html

Wow, great link! Wipes drool off keyboard...

This is the website of a study group who wants to make roll kasutera a specialty of Kokura. That means that roll kasutera is not necessarily an existing specialty of the city but is rather a future specialty of it. Sorry for the misinformation.

This is the website of a study group who wants to make roll kasutera a specialty of Kokura.  That means that roll kasutera is not necessarily an existing specialty of the city but is rather a future specialty of it.  Sorry for the misinformation.

I noticed that and I think it's a brilliant piece of marketing. Also are you sure about the "kasutera" part? The emphasis seems to be on roll cakes, but not kasutera roll cakes specifically.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...