• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lobster recommendations please

njpetsitter

my mother in law has decided she would like to try lobster for the very first time for her 80th birthday....she lives in the lower part of manhattan....she's in a wheelchair and her kids want to take her out to dinner...any not-too-expensive recommendations in manhattan?

thanks,

njpetsitter@gmail.com

gotta be Francisco Centro Vasco!

Awesome recomendation Raji.

I had a big bicycle accident 3 years ago and had my jaw wired shut. Upon unwiring, I went there with my family for a delicious lobster butter sangria dinner. It was all really great and affordable. However, I think after 5 weeks on liquids, all that solid food and sangria disagreed with me because I got to see it again about an hour later. Maybe this was how I honored fashion week. Anyway, this should not prevent you from going, just a stupid/funny story.

I dont know about that suggestion. I am a fan of Centro Vasco, but for an 80th bday,eh.. For a lobster I would say something more old school.. Like a Pietro's.. Maybe a Palm... I think the Palm is a great choice..A long this lines and a lesser choice would be Dock's.. Sparks also but, its too hectic and you will wait.. Also if the 21 club had lobster..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Do the subways go to City Island? There is a place there that is both inexpensive and quite tasty...Unfortunately I forget what it is...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

any not-too-expensive recommendations

Palm?????????????????????????????????????????????

Sparks???????????????????????????????????????????

21 Club???????????????????????????????????????????

Whoops didnt see that.. Then I would say go to Dock's on a Monday night for there lobster fest.. One of the less expensive lobster deals in Manhatttan.. Its something like 2 1lb lobsters or 1 2lb lobster with sides for something in the $30 range..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Surely you're looking for someplace within the city limits. Nevertheless, I'll put a plug in for a joint just outside New haven. I think it's in Branford. Your grandma would be right at home there if she happens to have blue hair. Always big buses outside. My wife and I call it the U.S.S.C.P. It's the USS Chowder Pot. Don't miss the honey butter bread.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"