• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leaf Lard in Northern NJ

meredithla

Ahem. For those of us who had never even heard of leaf lard until today, can you please enlighten us to how/when you use it? :blink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Ahem.  For those of us who had never even heard of leaf lard until today, can you please enlighten us to how/when you use it?  :blink:

Leaf lard is rendered from the fat around the kidneys of the pig. The fat itself is pretty interesting looking. The lard is used in pastry, and is supposed to be finer than regular lard...

It can be purchased from Flying Pigs Farm...

Click Me!

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Ahem.  For those of us who had never even heard of leaf lard until today, can you please enlighten us to how/when you use it?   :blink:

It's supposed to make the best pie crust EVER and doesn't have the porky flavor supermarket lard has. I'll let you know....!

Edited by meredithla (log)

• 1 month later...