• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help with mother in law

SuY

Am embarrassed to ask this question but need help with my mother-in-law. She is asking me to make a reservation at a ‘brand-name’ (chef she recognizes) restaurant (eg Jamie Oliver/Gordon Ramsay etc) for my sister in law’s birthday. No amount of persuading her that their restaurants aren’t necessarily a winning bet and that there are plenty of ‘no-name’ great restaurants with better food (and prices) has worked. Her budget is £50 per person and she and my father in law are vegetarian. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Aikens' book is out soon, and he remains -- despite some naysaying voices on this board -- one of London's few truly top-class chefs who works the kitchen every night. Does veg, but not weekends. May break your budget though.

Or Benares? Owned by Atul Kochhar (now officially known as that chap off that Queen's lunch programme). Good veg, apparently, although I was a bit underwhelmed.

If sleb is really that important, you could always do Rhodes 24. It's not somewhere I'd normally recommend, and may again push your budget a bit. But it is a glam location of an evening, isn't difficult to book, the security checks at the Natwest tower add to the theatre, it does veg options to an acceptable standard for the City PR girls, and you get a good view across London (albeit occasionally blocked by some publicity-hungry spikey haired twonk).

Edited by naebody (log)

With that budget (if thats all in with booze) your only shot is a cheapo set lunch.

Most of the gordon ramsay joints in hotels do lunches sat and sun. if you're after the name factor Gordon Ramsay at Claridges is probably your best bet.

veggie stuff should be easily arrangeable. let them know beforehand.

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

I agree with Kutsu, Ramsay at Claridges do a fantastic and reasonably priced lunch. With prior warning I am sure they will cater for vegetarians, and you can't get more "brand named" than Gordon Ramsay, or Claridges for that matter!

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?