• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canberra - Suggestions Anyone?

misgabi

Hubby and I will be in Canberra for my 40th ( :shock: ) birthday next month and I am looking for a suggestion of somewhere to go for dinner that is really good. I havn't lived in Canberra for years and only visit rarely so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Don't mind what style of cuisine (or price really) as long as it is outstanding and memorable.

Please help!!! :biggrin:

Ottoman's in Barton. Hands down. Bar none. Check the dining in Canberra thread, if there's no mention, let me know and I'll be more than happy to post an in memoriam review...

Nothing else in Canberra really comes close for consistency and quality and service.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

hi,

if you like italian food, I recommend Santa Lucia in Kingston (10 minutes drive from the city). In fact Kingston is full of restaurants, mostly italian. I did them all a few years back but the best, in my opition, is Santa Lucia.

ciao

Dario

Trust me... Ottoman's... it is memorable, and it is outstanding... Modern Mid-East doesn't get better than this, well, except for say Momo's... :raz:

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Ottoman's in Barton. Hands down. Bar none. Check the dining in Canberra thread, if there's no mention, let me know and I'll be more than happy to post an in memoriam review...

Nothing else in Canberra really comes close for consistency and quality and service.

Ottoman's. Ottoman's. Ottoman's. :wub: As a regular visitor to Canberra it's a must visit on every trip. Last time, dinner went very late (we arrived at 9PM). Ottoman's couldn't get a taxi, so the waitress volunteered to drive us to the hotel. When booking, I'd request to sit in the main room if possible. Some of the side rooms are lacking a litle in charm.

Ginger Room (Old Parliament House) is also often good albeit with variable service.