• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

rehydrating dried mushrooms

hfaze

forgive a newbie question but,

i bought a few packs of dried mushrooms at d&d and i'm unsure as to the best way to bring them back to life. the package says to soak them in water or white wine. soaking them in wine and then sautéing them in butter doesn't seem bad, but is this a good approach?

Half an hour in warm water (tending towards hot) does the trick. Depending on the dish, the mushroom water, strained and reduced, can be a useful ingredient.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

reserving the liquid is key if you want to make any kind of mushroom sauce. it can get quite flavorful. in fact, when i'm making mushroom sauces, i'll use fresh mushrooms *and* dried, just so i have that concentrated flavor to add to the sauce.

hot water is key. wine is nice, so you don't have to add water to your sauce, but then you probably wouldn't heat the wine. i find that the benefits of the hot water outweigh the downside of adding water to your sauce.

Definitely not boiling. Hot from the tap is about right, though this temperature of course varies from kitchen to kitchen.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)