• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bosa is opening a second location?

I noticed a sign while driving east on the No. 1 Hwy.  On a building by the highway it said, "Bosa Opening Soon." 

Does anyone know about thsi?  Is this the same Bosa located on Victoria Drive?

Yes it is the same company. They opened their wholesale division (no longer on Victoria) Sept. 5 and they will open to the public on October 14.

They'll still keep the original Victoria St. location open for retail. (Did you know that the old location has almost a whole city block of underground storage where they keep all the wheels of Parmesan etc. at cellar temp?)

They had a big Architects perspective drawing at Eat Vancouver. Same Bosa with Parking!!

Cheers

Poorsh

I noticed a sign while driving east on the No. 1 Hwy.  On a building by the highway it said, "Bosa Opening Soon." 

Yes it is the same company. They opened their wholesale division (no longer on Victoria) Sept. 5 and they will open to the public on October 14.

They'll still keep the original Victoria St. location open for retail. (Did you know that the old location has almost a whole city block of underground storage where they keep all the wheels of Parmesan etc. at cellar temp?)

I had no idea about their underground storage...wow!

Does anyone have the address of the new location? When you say "wholesale division" and opened to the public, does this limit purchases only to retail businesses?

Thanks.

The new address is 1465 Kootenay St. (between Highway 1 and Boundary).

Just like the old location there will be a retail store and a section for the wholesale crowd. Apparently this place is something like 14.000 sq. ft in size so it should be interesting.

I drove by it a few weeks ago and it was like something from Heaven had drifted down and parked it self in Industrial Park Land. I had to really concentrate on driving because the tears in my eyes were making hard to see the road.

It better not dissapoint me when I actually go for a visit.

• 1 month later...

After reading Keith Talent's article over at Urban Diner, I found myself able to visit the new Bosa foods store on Kootenay.

First impressions were good. Nice and bright with wide aisles. Selection looks really good, but I'm not sure if that's because there's a lot of variety, or just more of each individual items. The olive section alone will have me coming back ... they even have RED olives(??) The butcher's counter has a way to go before I chose it over Cioffi's.

I'll have to take Keith's word on the pricing being good ... I was in between appointments and didn't have time to comparision shop.

My only quibble is that it just doesn't feel like an Italian deli. Cioffi's, Grotto del Formagio and the old Bosa may all be crowded, but there's something comforting about that. Granted, I usually visit Cioffi's earlier in the day, and unlike the Talents I don't have rug-rats in towe ... but the narrow aisles and Italian grandmas shoving their way past you to get to the bocconcini have become part of the experience for me.

Oh ... the loud opera music that plagued Keith's visit was not apparent during my visit.

A.

I jut checked it out a few days ago as well. They need to put up a little directional sign off of Boundary as it is hidden away. I like the exterior, especially as their modern take of an old fashioned Campanile/train station? (some one help me on the exact design homage) is unexpected in that neighbourhood.

The interior is definitely an expansion of the selection at the old postage stamp sized store plus the meat couter. I'm not sure though whether I would trek all the way over from the West Side at this point unless the prices were way cheaper. The brand they have created -Itallisima- is everywhere as are a lot of the items they sell.

The upper balcony area is slated for a demo kitchen and classes at some point in the future.

I don't think Itallisima is their brand, I think I've seen it elsewhere. Or maybe they are the distributor of it, but I'm certain it's available in other retailers too. It is pervasive in there though.

Here's a quote from Eat! Vancouver's website, found via Google:

Bosa Foods is a key supplier to the Lower Mainland foodservice industry and distributes its own line of specialty foods under their Italissima label.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I jut checked it out a few days ago as well. They need to put up a little directional sign off of Boundary as it is hidden away. I like the exterior, especially as their modern take of an old fashioned Campanile/train station? (some one help me on the exact design homage) is unexpected in that neighbourhood.

The interior is definitely an expansion of the selection at the old postage stamp sized store plus the meat couter. I'm not sure though whether I would trek all the way over from the West Side at this point unless the prices were way cheaper. The brand they have created -Itallisima- is everywhere as are a lot of the items they sell.

The upper balcony area is slated for a demo kitchen and classes at some point in the future.

Went to the new Bosa location and I will certaibly now make that my number one shopping place for meats, Italian products, condiments and gifts. It was fabulous, so many quality products and I thought prices were good. Deli section is fab!