• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre/Post Prandial Libations?

phlawless

We're (3 mid-thirties, indie rock loving, former hipsters) heading to NYC this coming week end. Our meals are decided but we need some bar/club suggestions, daytime as well.

Anyone?

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

sedate is okay, but we don't get to NYC often and would like a city experience without it being too...too... I don't know how to name it. Good music, not too trendy, maybe a little people watching, not too loud, also someplace to go grab a drink in the afternoon (outdoor seating? view?). Pegu is already in. Someone told me about Happy Endings, any good?

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Happy Ending used to be fun.

hmm...bars in NY can be difficult to recommend because there is such a weekday/weekend divide in atmosphere. most bars have split personalities.

I'd recommend Employees Only because it manages to both have good cocktails and yet be somewhat racous and sceney.

also consider the bar at the Spotted Pig, Pravda, upstairs at the Stanton Social, the bars at Thor and Schiller's....the outdoor bars at the Delancy and at 230 5th (although the later crowds are really annoying).

HiFi has an excellent jukebox.

depending upon how you are defining "hipster"...you might find Williamsburg to be up your alley. ditto for Pianos and Max Fish.

Barossa, the Sunburnt Cow and couple other bars on Avenue C might also be of interest...

depending upon how you are defining "hipster"

hipster meaning before I had my daughter I'd have a Stella Artois or a negroni and an organic American Spirit when I got home from work, my closet was equal parts vintage and H&M, and my iPod playlist included the likes of Built to Spill and Sonny Rollins.

I'm curious...what is a NY hipster these days?

Among other things it means faux-hawks, emo, and spending your parent's money on a $5 can of pbr at a bar.

Gone are the days of shotgunning $1 PBR's, huh? I distinctly remember doing that to get into some bar in the East Village about five years ago.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

donbert described it well.

other important indicators....if you, or your boyfriend were sporting faux-ironic trucker hats 2 to 3 years ago.

going to shows at the knitting factory extensively.

going to parties in Queens or Brooklyn in massive illegal lofts where about 10 people live and they are all purportedly artists and musicians...

and, of course, if you do any of the above and have a trust fund, you are without question a hipster.

not that there's anything wrong with that. some of my best friends are hipsters.

PBR: Pabst Blue Ribbon

cheapo blue collar beer that has become quite popular by said hipster crowd.

see also: miller high life, olympia, and schafer

see that's the thing for me, I am a fervent fan of flavorless Bud-like beer. Hell, I even love Bud. For me, all I require from a beer is for it to be really cold, and to not compete with my food or my cigarette. Actually, the cigarette doesn't apply anymore...

I'm curious...what is a NY hipster these days?

Among other things it means faux-hawks, emo, and spending your parent's money on a $5 can of pbr at a bar.

other important indicators....if you, or your boyfriend were sporting faux-ironic trucker hats 2 to 3 years ago.

going to parties in Queens or Brooklyn in massive illegal lofts where about 10 people live and they are all purportedly artists and musicians...

and, of course, if you do any of the above and have a trust fund, you are without question a hipster.

not that there's anything wrong with that.  some of my best friends are hipsters.

The story of my life roughly summed up in the above posts. I'm only kind of joking.

going to shows at the knitting factory extensively.[...]

I don't get the Knitting Factory reference.

Michael aka "Pan"

What amazes me is how much things never change....

Back in the late 80's, in my own hipste club-going days, we

-- went to many Knitting Factory shows

-- went to parties in vast Williamsburg lofts where you could literally park a truck INSIDE the loft, and disparate groups of "artists, musicians, and filmmakers" all lived there

No faux-ironic hats though...And no trust funds. :sad:

not that there's anything wrong with that.  some of my best friends are hipsters.

When I was a young hipster the vast spaces in which the parties we went to were held, where large groups of people lived together, were in caves. Not only did the inhabitants purport to be artists, but they inscribed their works (mostly depictions of buffalo hunting, as I recall) right on the walls.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)