• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shawnee Great Grillers Blues & BBQ (Kansas City)

Zeemanb

This weekend (Friday night the 22nd and Saturday the 23rd) is the 12th Annual "Shawnee Great Grillers Blues & BBQ" in Old Shawnee (Johnson Drive & Cody). The BBQ contest season is winding down, so come out and enjoy one final hurrah. I believe there are approximately 96 teams competing, and admission is free, so this will be a great alternative for anyone who doesn't want to brave the 200-400 team contests like the GAB or AR.

"Briskets and Gravy" will be competing in this contest for the first time, so be sure and track us down and say hello if you're out that way.

I'll put a link to the contest below. I know there is at least one band playing, PLUS Chileheadmike has promised us all an interpretive dance to the 80's hit "I Know What Boys Like" by The Waitresses.

Come on out!

Great Grillers (I know...not the best name for a BBQ contest....)

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

PLUS Chileheadmike has promised us all an interpretive dance to the 80's hit "I Know What Boys Like" by The Waitresses.

It is at once terrifying yet strangely compelling. Mike, please tell me you'll perform this cultural high watermark on Saturday?

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

Yeah, last week I came down with serious case of the gout. Right before BBQ time. Nice. So I can cook it but I can't eat it. :angry: No Q, No Beer ARRRG.

And my interpretive dance will be falling on the ground writhing in pain. Should be easy to do while listening to that. So come on out and have some fun!

Back to enjoying a nice healthy spinach salad.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Hey all,

Let's please continue to be mindful of our Calendar and Events Policy and keep the discussion here focused on the content of the event and not on the "planning" and "who's going?" aspects.

And I certainly hope that anyone who attends will check in here and let us know how it was, what the highlights were, etc. Oh . . . and pictures are greatly appreciated! :smile:

Thanks!

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Thanks Ronnie, in regard to event info I did forget to mention one thing....

One point of frustration that people have with the bigger contests is that you're generally paying $8-$12 to get in the gate, and unless you have a team party to attend your money doesn't really get you anything. The media can make it sound like a bbq tasting free for all, which frustrates a lot of people (and rightfully so).

The Shawnee contest is hosting a "People's Choice" brisket category. All of the teams can participate in the category for free and are provided a whole brisket to cook for the general public. I don't know any more than what is listed on the website, but for a $5 "judging fee" people can sample brisket prepared by the teams and vote on them (on Saturday). Since entry to the contest is free, it sounds like a good way to sample lots of 'Q on the cheap (and see what judges go through....tasting everything from the best bbq on the planet to charred chunks of meat that taste like they were marinated in lighter fluid). Mmmmmmmmmm......Kingsford vapors.........

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

One disappointment with this contest is that there are no side dish categories. Only the following:

Brisket, Pork, Ribs, Chicken and Sausage

We're doing all of them. BTW...I could be wrong, but I believe that in most KCBS events sausage doesn't count towards the total cumulative score. It is judged in the same way and awards are given for the category, but only brisket, pork, chicken and ribs count towards the Grand Champion award. I don't know all of the logic behind that (too lazy to read KCBS rules and guidelines), but from talking to judges it is a tastebud destroying category. Lots of really crazy homemade recipes out there (a friend told me about a "carrot sausage" he had to judge), which lends to it being far too subjective of a category.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

where in Kansas City is this event being held? Major crossroads.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Looks like the weather will hold out today, mostly cloudy with scattered showers tomorrow.

Big pot for boiling ribs....... check

Extra gallon of KC Masterpiece sauce.......check

Quart of liquid smoke......... check

Okay, guess that about covers it, I'm on my way.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I've missed this thread somehow and now Z is offline and unable to defend himself (pure coincidence - honest :wink:).

The American Royal is up to 500 teams this year. Their ability to shoe-horn additional spaces into the same area year after year is on a par with the University of Michigan football stadium. Will someone please tell them that we, as a nation, are getting bigger, not smaller? Especially at a BBQ contest - *think* about it.

But I digress. . . all of Z's points are well-taken, though. If you want to enjoy the concept of competition bbq without the logistical challenges posed by the Royal, this is a great deal.

If you wish to familiarize yourself with the rules (unlike, apparently, Z and Mike :raz:) the KCBS handbook can be downloaded free here. Sausage is an add-on at the Royal (among others) but does not count in the overall score.

Should be a good event (the gallon of gloppy Masterpiece and rather disturbing interpretive dance notwithstanding :laugh: ). Thanks for calling it to our collective (but not individual) attention. :rolleyes:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Looks like the weather will hold out today, mostly cloudy with scattered showers tomorrow.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit... urp! :wink:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Man, I'm cancelling my dinner plans and getting out to the competition right now!

Have fun guys, and kick (pork) butt.

(Moosnsqrl, the concept of 500 teams just makes my head- and liver- hurt. At that point, it's got to be a giant meat fuelled mob with a smoke and grease miasma hanging overhead)

Edited by chicagowench (log)

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

Man, I'm cancelling my dinner plans and getting out to the competition right now!

Probably not a bad idea, wench. :wink:

(Moosnsqrl, the concept of 500 teams just makes my head- and liver- hurt.  At that point, it's got to be a giant meat fuelled mob with a smoke and grease miasma hanging overhead)

It is not for the faint at heart (or liver, or head).

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I had a great time meeting Zeemanb and Chiliheadmike and dining on some damn fine bbq in the parking lot in Shawnee. This makes me eager to get to the Bricktown BBQ cookoff in OKC next weekend.

I'm judging in that one. ONe of the best things about judging a KCBS event is you just sit there, they bring the stuff to you, you taste it and then give them your honest opinion of how good or bad the stuff is. And most all the stuff is way better than what you will find in any restaurant.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Thanks to the boys for some good eats last night.

I'm sure you're exhausted, but I'm dying to know how you did. There's nothing posted so far on their site so if one of you (or, more likely, Mike's daughter) has the strength to post results, inquiring minds want to know.

Too bad there isn't an open category - the ABTs would win, hands-down.

M.F.K. Fisher

Too bad there isn't an open category - the ABTs would win, hands-down.

those things were darn good. I could eat one right now.

Well, its been a couple days since the 'Cue, thought I would post thoughts and pictures. I really had a great time and I hope everyone else did too. It was great fun seeing Judy again and meeting Joiei. Joiei you had a heck of a weekend, not sure how you pulled that off. And I gotta say that my cousin and Judy hit things off rather well, I have't seen either of 'em since :wub::shock::raz: But what happens in the 'Cue stays in the 'Cue...

Friday Night Eats: ABT's, Ribs, Brisket, Pulled Pork, Beans, Wings and lots of adult beverages. Everything must have been good or folks were really hungry, cuz there was not a lot left.

Saturday Turn in:

Chicken - I thought this was our best item of the day.

gallery_43340_3656_154026.jpg

Ribs - Another winner (at least by our standards)

gallery_43340_3656_500775.jpg

Pork - Ahhh Pig Candy. Sweet and smokey

gallery_43340_3656_366977.jpg

gallery_43340_3656_199419.jpg

Brisket - I thought this was our weakest of the day. The flat was overcooked and a little dry. This is from the fattier point.

gallery_43340_3656_400498.jpg

gallery_43340_3656_95163.jpg

Thanks again to all who showed up, we really had a great time and except for a cold, rainy start to Saturday, some fine weather.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Congrats, guys. Most of that looks, well, good enough to eat! :wink:

Not so sure about Mike's cuzzin, though. I must be some kind of magnet for strange rangers, eh? Ah, well. As long as I don't find out he's working in tandem with any local chefs (?), I guess it's harmless.

If there were any justice, you would've won it all (or at least Mike would've gotten to actually enjoy some of it).

Next time, for sure.

M.F.K. Fisher

We managed to crank out some really passable food for the competition portion. When it's time to leave, the last thing I usually want to think about is BBQ, but I did have to take a slab of those ribs home with me as well as some brisket. Thanks to everyone who stopped by (can't believe how much food we went through on Friday night!), we'll be doing the GAB next Memorial Day weekend for sure.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011