• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Kerry Beal - ChocDoc in the Land of the Haweaters

Kerry Beal

Kerry, I'm just now catching up with this blog. Very nicely done. I haven't been to the island, but my brother spent many summers there and loved it.

That chocolate cake is going on my list of things I have to make!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Kira doesn't feed herself, unless you give her playdough.  That goes straight into the mouth.

Why would you want to learn to feed yourself, when you have worked so hard to train those around you to do your bidding.

The feeding herself with a spoon was an early IEP goal for Heidi, partly because at the time, I didn't have a PCA, and had two other kids -- one just 18 months younger than her, and I needed to eat, too.

So, we had an OT work with her at school during meals, and came up with all sorts of modified spoons (including bent handles -- cheap ones from the thrift store bend easily -- as well as regular spoons with pipe insulation on them). In fact, in the beginning, they held then to her hands with ace bandages, and did hand-over-hand (very not popular with Princess, but...).

Then, we graduated to removing the plate of food when she dropped the spoon (on purpose, mind you) so she could eat with her hands. Oh, you want to talk about shreaks. It made for 6 months of very unpleasant meals here and at school, but she got the message, and perfected her skills to the point that she neatly scoops grapes with a spoon, and can denude a bowl of Lucky Charms of all of the marshmallow bits much faster than the other two kids. We've discovered that her fine motor skills are just fine when she wants them to be.

Does Tim Horton's have decent coffee (I'm picky. I want it strong and black.)

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I've got another one for you, I did check with her that it was alright to mention it.

"Nowquaikezhikgoquai"

Means something to the effect of 'woman who bashes clothes on a rock in a stream under a nice blue sky'

She grew up with a name as common around here as Smith.

Wow! That's an impressive name!

Although I'd like the "nice blue sky" bit in my name...

[Explanation for my query, other than general curiosity: We have some fairly unpronounceable names here (to non-irish-speakers, that is), but none as good as that. Sadhbh (Pronounced to rhyme with Five) Siobhan (shuv-AWN), Niamh (either neev or NEE-uhv), even mine, I'd warrant that plenty of people are pronouncing the O, ignoring the "pronounce only the first unnaccented vowel if a row rule".]

gallery_28661_3596_29942.jpg

Precooking the ribs before the BBQ in a couple of hours (ER permitting).

As you do so much so well, I will let this transgression against proper barbecued ribs slide. :hmmm:

But the next time you have 4 hours or more to slow smoke them like you should (it looks like you have the right grill), I can give you a great dry rub recipe if you like. Slather it on the night before, and you could even get away with direct cooking them for half the time and they'll still come out great.

Edited to add: And thanks for taking us along on a trip through upper Ontario. Lovely country with a larger diversity of foodstuffs available than I had expected to see.

Sandy,

Please send along the recipe. I have a Bradley smoker at home. Trouble with a day on call, there is no way I could attend to them properly, while learning how to use the Q as a smoker.

Glad you liked Ontario. As I was told by an Ontario Provincial Police Officer after being pulled over with BC plates on my car years ago. "you know lady, Ontario is a really big province" What that had to do with being pulled over I don't know. But it is a really big province, with many different cultural inputs and climate zones, so you can find very different foods all over the place. We have the niagara peninnsula where all sorts of soft fruits and grapes are grown, and the north for berries and deer among other things.

Kira has the most twinkly sparkling eyes. Thank you for all the pix.

Isnt a pre-birthday party meltdown a rule for all children? To be followed by the post-party destressing meltdown? (which of course only destresses the child....)

I love the picture of her in her mini papa-san chair, looking like a miniature teenager rocking out to her ipod, the Princess in her well demonstrated by having her hands held by her nanny.

What IS it with playdoh? It does not taste good. I used to eat it, the munchkin eats it, Kira eats it.... does Kira like table salt straight too? (I did, the munchkin does).

I've put your lemon pudding on my eagerly anticipated to do list. Thank you for sharing.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Kira has the most twinkly sparkling eyes. Thank you for all the pix.

Isnt a pre-birthday party meltdown a rule for all children?  To be followed by the post-party destressing meltdown? (which of course only destresses the child....)

I love the picture of her in her mini papa-san chair, looking like a miniature teenager rocking out to her ipod, the Princess in her well demonstrated by having her hands held by her nanny.

What IS it with playdoh? It does not taste good. I used to eat it, the munchkin eats it, Kira eats it.... does Kira like table salt straight too? (I did, the munchkin does).

I've put your lemon pudding on my eagerly anticipated to do list. Thank you for sharing.

She is the princess for sure, Malou may be the boss of me, but Kira is the boss of us all, except the cats, nobody is the boss of cats.

I haven't given Kira the opportunity to try straight salt yet. I probably should, I've got quite a collection of salts. Anna N's granddaughter (what a cutie by the way) asks for salt and Anna pours her out a little dish of various varieties and the munchkin munches it happily and asks for more.

One of the great things (mixed blessing I guess) about a kid who just doesn't get it, is that you don't get the post birthday party, or christmas whining. She's still just happy to yank the paper off the pressies.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Thank you for the wonderful sparkly-eyed, lake-viewing, chocolate week!!

It's been fun and informative and full of beautiful scenery and happy scenes.

I don't know how much longer you'll be there, but waking to that sunrise would be one of the Coffee Moments of my life---please stand there once more before you leave, and drink in the glory for me as you sip.

• Like 1

Kerry, I'm just now catching up with this blog.  Very nicely done.  I haven't been to the island, but my brother spent many summers there and loved it.

That chocolate cake is going on my list of things I have to make!

Marlene,

I envy you the relationship you had with your brother, sounds like you were really close, and that has got to make the loss so much worse. I'm glad he had the opportunity to enjoy Manitoulin, hope sometime you will too. It's only a six hour drive or so.

I think you will enjoy the chocolate cake.

gallery_28661_3596_32107.jpg

Here was my sunrise this morning. One of the best so far. I did enjoy it with my big mug of tea.

gallery_28661_3596_95595.jpg

And a quick fridge shot today, more stuff in it than before. It's going to be leftovers for a week.

I'll come home at lunch and do my little sign off thing. Talk to you then.

Kerry - your blog is really inspirational, the pictures,

recipes and your lovely daughter....

and the details of your daily rounds - how do you do it all?

Did you say you have other children?

Thanks so much for taking the time to share all this with us.

Here is a link for a recipe for the beaten rice you bought,

that you said you didn't have a recipe for...

http://www.recipezaar.com/33025

Makes a great breakfast or afternoon snack dish...

Milagai

Edited by Milagai (log)

Thank you for an amazing blog, Kerry. I'm looking forward to trying the Vietnamese Chicken reciipe you shared with us and I really enjoyed getting a glimpse of that part of the world and of an interesting island culture. Thank you for sharing your week with us in beautfiul pictures and words.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I really enjoyed this blog. It contained just the right balance of on and off topics, with enough of a unique geographical and personal aspect to make it different.

One thing I'm left with though is the feeling that, amazing as it might seem, we've only seen one dimension of your life? With respect for your time, I would never expect you to do this again from your "home base", but maybe you could just tack on an extra post about a family meal after you return there?

THANX SB :smile:

gallery_28661_3596_90196.jpg

Last food picture for this blog. I made some gingerbread to take for rounds this morning, which mean I arrived 10 minutes late with an oven mitt on.

gallery_28661_3596_10808.jpg

gallery_28661_3596_35676.jpg

You know that lovely sunrise. Well remember, 'red sky in morning, sailors take warning'. It's not so nice now.

gallery_28661_3596_55532.jpg

The only picture I could find of myself in my computer (with the exception of the one blowing out Kira's first year birthday cake candle, and that one you ain't gonna see).

There is one picture taken recently of me by the photographer from the spectator when they did an article about me just before I came up north. I'll add a link to it here if anyone is interested in that picture. By the way I don't really have that double a chin, picture angle you know.

I've had a blast this week. Thanks to all for your input and good wishes. Thanks also to all those who PM'd me and told me about the special people in your lives. It really touched me.

Thanks for not abusing me for having dinner at Boston Pizza (this is eG after all). Thanks Seema and Migali for the beaten rice recipes, I'll be trying those really soon.

If you want to check on the progress of pig packaging, check in on the thread 'Confections, what did we make' here. And I'd love it if you'd drop in on my eG confectionary course.

Gotta get back to work now, I'll check in for any final questions for the rest of the day.

Great blog, Kerry, but then I knew it would be! Thanks.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I really enjoyed this blog.  It contained just the right balance of on and off topics, with enough of a unique geographical and personal aspect to make it different.

One thing I'm left with though is the feeling that, amazing as it might seem, we've only seen one dimension of your life?  With respect for your time, I would never expect you to do this again from your "home base", but maybe you could just tack on an extra post about a family meal after you return there?

I'd love to. Do you know off hand if I can still add things weeks later?

gallery_28661_3596_55532.jpg

The only picture I could find of myself in my computer (with the exception of the one blowing out Kira's first year birthday cake candle, and that one you ain't gonna see).

There is one picture taken recently of me by the photographer from the spectator when they did an article about me just before I came up north.  I'll add a link to it here if anyone is interested in that picture.  By the way I don't really have that double a chin, picture angle you know.

I must be blind but I don't see a double chin. :huh:

This definitely ranks as one of my favorite blogs so far!

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Kerry - your blog is really inspirational, the pictures,

recipes and your lovely daughter....

and the details of your daily rounds - how do you do it all? 

Did you say you have other children? 

Thanks so much for taking the time to share all this with us.

Here is a link for a recipe for the beaten rice you bought,

that you said you didn't have a recipe for...

http://www.recipezaar.com/33025

Makes a great breakfast or afternoon snack dish...

Milagai

No other children. This one kind of put the boots to those plans. And hubby and I are no spring chickens.

Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to try it. I was also sent one for a sweet dish make with it.

There is one picture taken recently of me by the photographer from the spectator when they did an article about me just before I came up north.  I'll add a link to it here if anyone is interested in that picture.  By the way I don't really have that double a chin, picture angle you know.

I must be blind but I don't see a double chin. :huh:

This definitely ranks as one of my favorite blogs so far!

The double chin is in the spectator article.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your blog. Your daughter is beautiful and your energy and ability to get things done amazes me! My favorite part was the homemade pasta. I have the same pasta maker and it took me a long time to figure out how to make something edible with it. Now I'm kind of getting the hang of it and I've realized how delicous homemade pasta really is. Thanks and blessings to you and your family.

Melissa

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your blog.  Your daughter is beautiful and your energy and ability to get things done amazes me!  My favorite part was the homemade pasta.  I have the same pasta maker and it took me a long time to figure out how to make something edible with it.  Now I'm kind of getting the hang of it and I've realized how delicous homemade pasta really is.  Thanks and blessings to you and your family.

Thanks Melissa,

I love your avatar. That might as well be a picture of my brother as a young child. He always was a curious sort. Stuck his first fork in the socket at a very young age. He had a laboratory in the basement (he was a very bright boy, won science fairs all over Canada and the US) and I recall one evening during dinner, a small explosion, followed by some yelling, as he burned all the hair and some of the skin off his arm when some of his chemistry equipment blew up.

He was 10 years older than I and a whole lot smarter. I remember one day, parents where out, he was in charge and the hamster had injured himself and was bleeding to death. I sat at the top of the stairs, awaiting the results of the surgury to 'save the hamster's life' going on in the lab. Shit, was I naive. But you notice who ended up the physician. Now he comes to me when something needs sewing back together - a cat, a head wound from falling on the boat, a turkey that needs trussing for thanksgiving.

maybe you could just tack on an extra post about a family meal after you return there?

I'd love to. Do you know off hand if I can still add things weeks later?

I'll ask Susan "Snowangel" if she could arrange it?

Otherwise, just a regular post would suffice.

THANX SB :wink:

Kerry,

Thank you for your blog. I have anxiously checked in to follow it all week. Really, I was hooked immediately. I enjoyed learning about a place I've never been. You seem like an amazing woman, doctor and mom.

Thanks for your inspiration!

Ramona

I had a thought this morning brought about by the interest in the retro lemon pudding and a little comment I saw on the dessert thread by Ling about pineapple upside down cake.  The comment was "I haven't made that since I was 14". 

So the question is this - should we start a thread, challenging Ling to bring some retro desserts up to date, and in the process get her to teach us how she accomplishes the lovely appearance on all her desserts?  What do you think?  Ling you can weigh in on this too, but majority rules!

I worked all day yesterday and was a bit behind at catching this, but what a fun idea! Look for Kerry's thread in the Pastry forum soon.... :wink:

(And also, thanks for a wonderful blog. I really loved the chubby chocolate pig...so cute! :laugh: )