• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Kerry Beal - ChocDoc in the Land of the Haweaters

Kerry Beal

Kerry, for many reasons, I'm coming in verrrry late to your blog and just catching up. Wonderful stuff! :hmmm: <--admiring glance for you.

I'm thinking maybe gingerbread (oh wait, no that won't work, nanny doesn't like ginger).  Any suggestions out there?

Pound cake. Save me the ends, okay? :smile:

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Being out in a small town, even in Canada, can be a bear.

Not to hijack your thread, but I'd have to agree with that.

I moved from Long Beach, CA to Exeter, ON( pop:4,400). We're right smack dab in the middle of Huron County which I believe is the corn capital of Ontario. At least I did have the option of marrying my same-sex partner( which I did). For some odd reason, that gives us more credibility than if we were just shacking up together.

Oh and on my drive to Michigan, I pass another Indian reservation( Stoney Point First Nation, home of the infamous Ipperwash shooting). Their sign says they are unceded as well.

These days I think you can be considered native even if the lineage involves your mother, but don't quote me on it.

That's exactly right. You need to be at least 1/16th native (at least 1 great grandparent) with lineage from either parent's side, but I do believe that same parent has to also be declared native for you to qualify.

I'm thinking maybe gingerbread (oh wait, no that won't work, nanny doesn't like ginger).  Any suggestions out there?

If you're really attached to gingerbread why not just make spiced bread and leave out the ginger? Add the usual nutmeg and cloves and go a little heavier on the cinnamon. (I don't like gingery gingerbread much either.)

gallery_28661_3596_28478.jpg

A rather cute Kira pic to start.

gallery_28661_3596_19568.jpg

The little dog living next door. Tied outside a lot, barks a lot.

gallery_28661_3596_47251.jpg__gallery_28661_3596_3734.jpg

The Little Current farmers market. The organic vendor.

gallery_28661_3596_15634.jpg__gallery_28661_3596_37039.jpg

A nice selection of summer squash and heirloom tomatoes.

gallery_28661_3596_40135.jpg

Hawberry jelly. After I went back to work, I saw the lady who sold me this in the ER. Yup, I'm in a small town.

gallery_28661_3596_15856.jpg

The Legion was having a fund raiser today and I found this little jug, which is identical to the jug my mom used for gravy and the butter sauce for christmas pudding. All the knives came with it. I've only stabbed myself once since I bought it.

gallery_28661_3596_29942.jpg

Precooking the ribs before the BBQ in a couple of hours (ER permitting).

gallery_28661_3596_18308.jpg

A very small herd of pigs (or is that a flock, a gaggle, or a pride) watching me work on the computer.

Every photo is a gem! Kira is a poster child for wordless, playful joy and affection in that picture. :wub:

And, gee, those knives. For me, that would be an eBay moment. :biggrin:

edited by me to add:

Oh, and those little silly pigs would have no butts by now, either.

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Every photo is a gem! Kira is a poster child for wordless, playful joy and affection in that picture. :wub:

edited by me to add:

It's interesting, I make a lot of different animal molds, rabbits of course, frogs, mice and the truffle mice that I make. I have wondered if there is some significance to the order of eating these items. Does it say something about you if you eat your chocolate animals head first or butt first?

Any thoughts?

edited by me to add:

It's interesting, I make a lot of different animal molds, rabbits of course, frogs, mice and the truffle mice that I make. I have wondered if there is some significance to the order of eating these items. Does it say something about you if you eat your chocolate animals head first or butt first?

Any thoughts?

You absolutely must dispatch them quickly and compassionately and therefore the head goes first. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow.

I've only just come to this blog, and was just going to take a quick peek at it before I went up to the park for a walk. And here I sit, a couple of hours later, still in my running shoes (so much for good intentions!).

Wonderful, fascinating peek into your world. All I love best about these foodblogs.

Now, how does the Niagara escarpment go so far up? (My family lives fairly close to Niagara Falls, so I know that other end!). How is an island part of the escarpment? You live in Toronto the rest of the year?

I loved your "The Old Broad and The Lake" title - laughed my ass off.

PS: I always eat the ears first.

On my last trip in to emerg the nurse mentioned to me that the lady from whom I bought the hawberry jelly said that she had met me at the farmers market. She said that I was really nice and that she couldn't believe I was a doctor.

So are those two things supposed to be mutally exclusive? Do you find your family doc unfriendly (or for you americans out there - your primary care provider)? Would you be suprised if he/she gabbed at you in the farmers market? Christ - I talk to anybody. How else do you learn things?

My friend, a travel agent, told me years ago that if we went to New York city together, I was NOT, repeat NOT to talk to strangers on the bus, the street or anywhere else without her prior approval first. Maybe I am a little too friendly for my own good, but I've only been chased on the street once by a guy I said hello to after dark and that was years ago.

Anyway, back to food, the whole point.

gallery_28661_3596_26381.jpg__gallery_28661_3596_36162.jpg

Proof positive that BBQ sauce can't fly. I have picked 2 pieces of glass out of my foot since. Also note that the ribs are not in 2 solid racks. You can't head off the the ER and ignore them on the stove for 4 or 5 hours and expect they won't get really, really tender. Falling apart tender.

gallery_28661_3596_37529.jpg__gallery_28661_3596_16448.jpg

The first picture was when my phone rang. A fellow who needed to be seen right away, no it couldn't wait 10 minutes while I finished BBQing. So I left nanny in charge, and the ribs were still on when I got back in half an hour. But they turned out wonderfully tender, porky and succulent.

gallery_28661_3596_50547.jpg

I had a little grilled pattypan squash and some salad with mine.

Now I'm sure you are all chomping at the bit, wondering what I decided to make for dessert. I loved all the suggestions. I think I'll made pound cake next week now that the idea has been planted. It was quite warm outside today, so rice pudding seemed a little unseasonal. But I've got all the ingredients, including some nice plump raisins, so that will also get made in the next few weeks.

I don't have any apples in the house so apple pie was out, and I decided that I like my gingerbread with all the ginger, so that was out.

That left PUDDING. And the first one that came to mind was a nice light Lemon Souffle Pudding that my mom always made. Light seemed like a good idea after the ribs.

gallery_28661_3596_31362.jpg__gallery_28661_3596_44638.jpg

I whipped out my trusty mixmaster, separated some eggs, squeezed some lemons, and voila...

gallery_28661_3596_80387.jpg__gallery_28661_3596_44421.jpg

Light, lemony and delicious.

Anyway the phone just rang, apparently they have six patients waiting suddenly in emerg. So I'll check back in ASAP.

Kerry, I find the blog fascinating. Kira is adorable and you really got my attention with the lemon pudding. It's one of my favorites.

o

My mother made that lemon pudding at least once a fortnight, and it was cause for kiddie rejoicing. Maybe it's a retro dessert in need of reviving!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Kerry, I find the blog fascinating. Kira is adorable and you really got my attention with the lemon pudding. It's one of my favorites.

o

My mother made that lemon pudding at least once a fortnight, and it was cause for kiddie rejoicing. Maybe it's a retro dessert in need of reviving!

It is truly retro isn't it!

Wow. 

I've only just come to this blog, and was just going to take a quick peek at it before I went up to the park for a walk.  And here I sit, a couple of hours later, still in my running shoes (so much for good intentions!). 

Wonderful, fascinating peek into your world.  All I love best about these foodblogs. 

Now, how does the Niagara escarpment go so far up?  (My family lives fairly close to Niagara Falls, so I know that other end!).  How is an island part of the escarpment?  You live in Toronto the rest of the year? 

I loved your "The Old Broad and The Lake" title - laughed my ass off. 

PS:  I always eat the ears first.

I've put a link to the Niagara escarpment from wikipedia here. It describes how the escarpment runs from Niagara falls, up the Bruce, over to Sault St Marie. Manitoulin is just a continuation of the escarpment on it's way through.

I live in Burlington actually.

So ears first! Why do you think that is?

o

At our house it was named "Lemon Surprise"!

SB (hasn't had it in many years)

Well, I'll be damned. Clearly, I need geology lessons (never knew it was so big!).

I don't know why I eat my own chocolate bunnies in that manner, but last year at Easter time, when I was staying with a friend in England, we had an ears vs. tails debate. It wasn't resolved by bedtime, and the next morning when we got up, we opened the back door to find a gift from one of the cats: two dead baby bunnies neatly laid out on the doorstep, minus their ears. Maybe it was unfair of me, but I took it as biological proof positive that one should eat one's Easter bunnies from the top down.

Easter Bunnies? Candy tails first.

Chocolate lambs-tails first.

Chocolate eagles-feet first.

I guess I'm just a "Bottoms up!" girl.

Hmm, I am, as usual, the ODD one. :raz:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Easter Bunnies? Candy tails first.

Chocolate lambs-tails first.

Chocolate eagles-feet first.

I guess I'm just a "Bottoms up!" girl.

Hmm, I am, as usual, the ODD one. :raz:

Chocolate eagles? Where do those come from?

Lemon Souffle Pudding

4 extra large eggs separated

2 cups milk

3 tbsp flour

1/2 cup lemon juice

1 tsp grated lemon rind

1 cup sugar

2 tbsp melted butter

Beat egg whites to soft peaks. Mix together egg yolks, milk, flour, sugar lemon juice, lemon rind and melted butter. Fold whites into lemon mixture.

Put in 4 quart pyrex bowl. Bake in a water bath at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes or until puffy and brown.

Edited to add the sugar and melted butter which I also nearly forgot when I was making it earlier.

Edited again to add link to recipe in recipeGullet here.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Chocolate eagles?  Where do those come from?

I was given a glorious set of 4 of them, wings spread, a few years ago, made by a friend in Miami Beach. All milk chocolate, though, not my favorite dark chocolate. I promptly ate the feet off of each eagle. And had 3 cups of black coffee alongside. Yum.

I'm assuming they were molded, they were solid.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

On my last trip in to emerg the nurse mentioned to me that the lady from whom I bought the hawberry jelly said that she had met me at the farmers market.  She said that I was really nice and that she couldn't believe I was a doctor. 

So are those two things supposed to be mutally exclusive?  Do you find your family doc unfriendly (or for you americans out there - your primary care provider)?  Would you be suprised if he/she gabbed at you in the farmers market?  Christ - I talk to anybody.  How else do you learn things? 

No, they are not mutually exclusive. Heidi's Ped Neuro, who we see twice a year, spend more time talking about all sorts of stuff than Heidi (keep in mind he's observing her all of the time), and we had the nicest chat when we ran into each other at the farmer's market, about every thing but Heidi. If I don't get along with the dr., she's not seeing her/him!

And, no BBQ sauce doesn't fly. The time it hit the kitchen wall was the day before I took the pry bar to the walls! And, yellow paint just hit some unbelievably ugly carpet, so as soon as I finish what I started, it's time to start something else! At least your sauce hit a tile floor!

Question: When you are at home, does the Nanny live in your house?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"