• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a frosting recipe

Kim Shook

Ok, I want a good, old fashioned gooey, fudgy frosting (not a new fangled icing/buttercream :wink:) recipe.

I want the look and feel of a canned frosting, I guess, only with really good chocolate flavor. I don't like the blandness that I always think cream cheese adds, but I want that thickness.

Is this possible or am I just trying to recreate a childhood memory with adult tastebuds and doomed to disappointment? :raz: Kim

Try this:

Fudge Icing

142 g butter

120 g crisco

142 g cocoa

200 g corn syrup

150 g hot water

575 g 10X

1. Beat butter and crisco

2. add cocoa, corn syrup

3. slowly add water alt with 10x

This should fill and frost a 9" cake

The cocoa you use is important. I use Felchlin. I think it is the best chocolate flavor.

Edited by lapasterie (log)

RE: lapasterie's recipe - can anyone translate? It sounds good!

RE: ganache - maybe if I were to chill and then whip it, it might give me the fluffy, gooey-ness I am looking for

RE: Cooks Illustrated - I always check it out of the library. It is on my wish list, but no one has gotten it for me yet :biggrin: - I could check it out tomorrow

Thank you! Any other ideas? Kim

Abby Dodge's book The Weekend Baker has a recipe for Emergency Blender Cupcakes with Fudgy Frosting. I prefer vanilla frosting on chocolate cake, so I haven't tried the frosting recipe. It might be worth checking out from the library-- I've had all hits (including the above cupcakes) and no misses from this book.

I'd go with the ganache, but I would only chill it, stirring gently with a whisk or spoon every 15 minutes while it chills, until it's creamy and spreadable. Don't wait until it's hard. Don't whip it, because that changes the texture significantly and it won't be thick, chocolatey and creamy anymore.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

QUOTE(lapasterie @ Sep 17 2006, 09:57 PM)

I hope this is it:

5 c 10x

Ok. I'm totally missing something here. What is this exactly? blink.gif

10x is just "PC talk" for powdered sugar.....we tend to shorten names whenever possible.

Sorta "baker's shorthand" if you will..... :raz:

Wouldn't a good ganache, with good chocolate, work?

If you've ever had frostin' outta the can, you know ganache ain't it. There's kind of a gooey

sugary fudgy thing going on that isn't going on in ganache. When you whip ganache, it's more

of a "moussy" texture than a ooey gooey fudgy texture.

In the future, if you ever want to "translate" recipes, from grams to ounces, or vice versa....

this is a good tool here.

QUOTE(lapasterie @ Sep 17 2006, 09:57 PM)

I hope this is it:

5 c 10x

Ok. I'm totally missing something here. What is this exactly? blink.gif

10x is just "PC talk" for powdered sugar.....we tend to shorten names whenever possible.

Sorta "baker's shorthand" if you will..... :raz:

Wouldn't a good ganache, with good chocolate, work?

If you've ever had frostin' outta the can, you know ganache ain't it. There's kind of a gooey

sugary fudgy thing going on that isn't going on in ganache. When you whip ganache, it's more

of a "moussy" texture than a ooey gooey fudgy texture.

In the future, if you ever want to "translate" recipes, from grams to ounces, or vice versa....

this is a good tool here.

That is a very cool site! Thank you for the link. I have bookmarked it! Kim

Well, crap. I decided to do the recipe from Abby Dodge's book The Weekend Baker - went out and checked the book out of the library. Got home. I didn't have sweetened condensed milk :sad: . So I decided to do lapasterie's recipe. No shortening :angry: . What I did have was boxes of Baker's unsweetened chocolate (crap chocolate, I know, but it was on deep discount at work - we aren't going to carry it anymore - and it's what my in laws like in their crappy fudge :wink: ). Anyway, I made the recipe on their box: Baker's Chocolate Frosting. Tasted fine, spread fine.

So I want to know what I did wrong. I decorated the cake and put it in the refrigerator. Today - even after it sat out all day, the frosting was much too stiff and dry. It had, like, solidified. Is it the recipe - or the refrigeration - or the fact that I used melted chocolate and not cocoa??? I was pissed at myself, because I was trying to convert canned frosting eaters - and I don't think that it worked.

Umm I see the recipe says , do not refrigerate this frosting cause it gets very stiff.The fact that uses chocolate instead of cocoa makes it stiffer ( just think of melted chocolate when it gets cold ?).

I think next time you have to read the recipe you want and buy what you need , I found my self in that kind of situation from time to time and I understand you just wanted to do something , but sometimes it doesnt work :huh:

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

Umm I see the recipe says , do not refrigerate this frosting cause it gets very stiff.The fact that uses  chocolate instead of cocoa makes it stiffer ( just think of melted chocolate when it gets cold ?).

I think next time you have to read the recipe you want and buy what you need , I found my self in that kind of situation from time to time and I understand you just wanted to do something , but sometimes it doesnt work  :huh:

Actually that note regarding not refrigerating is something that I put on the recipe just a little bit ago - that is my webpage of recipes that I keep. I just assumed that that was the problem, but wanted to check with the people who are better at this kind of stuff than me :rolleyes: !

So I want to know what I did wrong.  I decorated the cake and put it in the refrigerator.  Today - even after it sat out all day, the frosting was much too stiff and dry.  It had, like, solidified.  Is it the recipe - or the refrigeration - or the fact that I used melted chocolate and not cocoa???  I was pissed at myself, because I was trying to convert canned frosting eaters - and I don't think that it worked.

How was the cake covered in the fridge? The fridge will dry out nearly anything that isn't covered well.

If the cake was covered, when you brought it to room temp did you leave it covered? If not, moisture could have condensed on the outside of the frosting and messed up the texture.