• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ridge Market, Lyndhurst

Curlz

Go figure...after years of living in this town, I discovered this place today. FULL of Turkish products--everything from canned goods to lentils and other grains to cheese, yogurt, Turkish sodas, etc. I only wish I knew what I was looking at!

Would love to know if anyone has been here and if you have specific recommendations. I went in at the suggestion of the woman at Akasaya, a Mediterranean/Turkish restaurant on Valley Brook, as I was in search of authentic pita and didn't have time to get to Clifton or Paterson. Sadly, Ridge Market didn't have any, but at least now I know what they do carry! I always assumed it was just another drop-in market for emergency milk/bread runs...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I didn't eat at the place on Valley Brook; went there hoping to buy fresh pita, but no luck. They not only use pre-made stuff she informed me "we're not a store," but then told me that Ridge Market would have it. They didn't, but I didn't care after discovering all that they carried! Just wish I had known before today--when I was hosting a cooking group at my place. For Turkish food. :wacko:

I did buy a few pieces of baklava for dessert from the restaurant and thought it was tasty, but a bit drier/less sweet than most (not a bad thing, imo). BUT...I'm no expert. I'd like to try their food. I grabbed a menu--looks good! The place is tiiiiiiiiny, with maybe 6 tables, and there is a large cooler case (like what you'd see in a deli) that seemed odd alongside nicely set tables. I'm hoping it will turn out to be a great find...there just isn't any interesting ethnic food around here! (Sorry--I don't count all of the red sauce Italian places...)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Akasya is good, but not great, basic Turkish. Don't get me wrong: it's fantastic that we have a little Turkish take-out place in Lyndhurst. It means you don't have to head up to South Paterson for your doner fix. However, it's the Joe Friday of Turkish: "Just the sis kebab, ma'am." The menu is what you've seen at Toros in Paterson, but not Toros in Clifton. The three or four times I've done take-out from Toros, the meat has been just a little bit too well done for me. A good kebab to me is nicely pinkish/reddish in the middle, but Akasya does them to medium/medium well. The sis kebabs are quite tasty despite this, but it dries out the doner. My girlfriend likes the chicken kebabs (I know they have a proper name, but it escapes me) but I think they're just a bit too dry.

We haven't tried the appetizers too much; usually we just get mains to take out. The yogurtlu kebabs are delicious as anything I've had with yogurt all over it. The baklava are tasty, but nothing like Mondial or Nablus.

The food they do is simple and tasty, but if you want the best, you still gotta go to South Paterson.

Curlz, you might be the one to ask about this. I see signs in Hangul up and down Valley Brook and around the corner of Ridge and New York. There's gotta be a good enough Korean population to support a Korean market in or near Lyndhurst; do you know of one? Han Ah Reum is all well and good, but my girlfriend and I are almost never in the area of that kimchi Mecca. :-(

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Haven't been in it, but there is a big market on the corner of Ridge Rd and whatever the block before NY Ave is (north of NY Ave--closer to Rt 3). It has a green awning, and for some reason, I think it's an Asian market. Let us know what you find!

He's indeed referring to Pickles & Olives on Valley Brook, just a block west of Ridge Road. I may have some time today before I go into the city with my girlfriend, so I'll see if I can swing by and grab something interesting.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

EMcD - is that the place on Valley Brook?  I passed it a couple of months ago and have not had the opportunity to stop in.  Is it really a good place for pickles and olives???

Not only is is great for pickles and olives, the woman that owns it will even whip up some stuffed grape leaves, too. she does great platters for parties and is supplying a bunch of restaurants. most definitely worth the trip.

• 2 months later...

Since this turned in to a somewhat generic Lyndhurst thread, I thought I'd ask if any of you know about Greek Delights on Ridge Road in...North Arlington. :wacko: It's just over the 'border' from Lyndhurst; it's in the small strip right after Jim Dandy's as you head towards Kearny--there's also a bagel shop in there. I'm wondering if it's connected to the GD in Montclair, which is terrific! Just noticed it today, but didn't have time to stop in.

Greek Delights - I'm pretty sure I'd read somewhere that both places were owned by the same folks, but I can't point you to a specific citation.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Curlz, talk about timing. I'm taking a mental health day today and I was riding my bike up and down Ridge. I saw Greek Delights and stopped by, but the doors were locked despite this being amongst their open hours. I saw some takeout menus on the counter, but none were outside. I'll try to swing by and check it out. If they do takeout, they're going to be my new best friends - and it'd suck because I just moved upstairs from Foschini's! :-D

• 3 weeks later...

We did take-out from Greek Delights in Lyndhurst last night. We had spanakopita and a souvlaki in a pita sandwich. I was somewhat underwhelmed by the spanakopita, but I think that it had been done in by the ride home. After five or ten minutes wrapped in foil, it seemed to have steamed up and the phyllo was not very flaky, but a bit soggy. The spinach filling was flavorful and dense. I'd give it a try if we were eating in, but since it's more of a neighborhoodish place, if we're going out, it'd still be to Fortunato.

The pita were a different story. I had lamb and my girlfriend had the gyro/doner. My lamb was a little overdone and tough but flavorful, but her gyro was very, very good. I don't know if the gyro meat was homemade or brought in from elsewhere, but it was nicely spiced and tasty. The tzatziki was definitely homemade and had a very nice kick of garlic.

I would go back again and try some cold appetizers next time, or a hot appy that doesn't have phyllo.

A great change of pace from the normal take-out offerings in and around Lyndhurst.