• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best way to make coffee for a crowd

Live It Up

So, I'm catering a wedding for 60 people out of my home kitchen (more details available in the special occasions forum). Anyway, they want coffee. I know that those huge percolator urns are cheap and easy, but how's the coffee they make? I am a bit of a coffee geek and I don't want to serve crappy coffee. So far I have no plans to cater any other large parties, so I don't want to invest a lot of money in equipment. Is there any other way?

Beat me to it. I was going to say the exact same thing. There's no other way to make coffee for that many folks at once without renting some sort of large capacity brewing/percolating device.

Investing in good coffee and making certain that it's ground and measured properly for the device you're using should guarantee at least palatable coffee for the masses.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I find that the coffee from percolators is acceptable right when it's brewed -- the problem comes if it sits around, reheating. So along with the percolator, invest in some big airpots, and pour the coffee into them right when it's brewed. You'll have much better results.

Actually, I was looking at buying an airpot brewer from ebay. There are used ones around $50 right now, but the airpots themselves are like $50 each on top of that. Does anyone know of a source for cheap airpots other than ebay? I might be able to borrow one or two from a cafe that I used to work at. Also, how many airpots would I need for 60 people? Seems like they don't really hold that many cups, but then I'm thinking in terms of 16oz to go cups.

• 3 years later...

I've been handed the unenviable task of providing excellent morning java for 60 bleary-eyed co-workers this week. I'm a Melitta plastic-cone-over-the-cup kinda girl, but I just don't see my method working too well for dozens of drinkers.

Any advice on brewing methods or equipment? Keeping the coffee warm without burning it could be my biggest challenge...yes?