• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing nuts

Dejah

Our Real Canadian SuperStore has a sale on deluxe roasted salted/unsalted mixed nuts for .98/100 gms. They are usually $1.58/100 gms. There were lots of pecans, cashews, almonds, hazlenuts and Brazilnuts, and a taste test told me they are fresh. They would be great for Xmas nibbles, and anytime, of course.

I bought 3.5 kgs, hoping to keep most in the freezer to dole out. Will they keep fresh in the freezer? I know the nuts I buy for baking can turn rancid in the cupboard if not used in good time. If these salted ones keep well, I might buy more to make up for gift packs later.

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks. :smile:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

YES!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I almost always store nuts in the freezer, usually sealed in some sort of Tupperware. They stay fresh so much longer that way, and nuts defrost very quickly when needed. I also keep whole wheat flour in the freezer since it's apt to go rancid quickly as well.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

The oil in nuts kept at room temperature can go rancid especially during warm weather. Keeping the nuts in the freezer is one of the better storage solutions.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thanks for all the posts confirming that freezing nuts is ok.

I have always frozen raw nuts used for baking, but I wasn't sure about roasted salted nuts.

Now that I know it's ok, and the nuts are so fresh and cheap, I picked up another 3 kgs, stored in sealed containers in the freezer. I'll be making up care packages for the kids when they come home for Thanksgiving. :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Get thyself a Foodsaver vacuum packager, seal those nuts in a bag, and they'll last 1 1/2 years at least.

That 's the date on a package I found buried in the freezer a few weeks ago.

I tasted a handfull, expecting to really learn the definition of rancid.

They tasted like the day I packaged them.

Get thyself a Foodsaver vacuum packager, seal those nuts in a bag, and they'll last 1 1/2 years at least.

That 's the date on a package I found buried in the freezer a few weeks  ago.

I tasted a handfull, expecting to really learn the definition of rancid.

They tasted like the day I packaged them.

My nuts never get a chance to go off - they're eaten within hours!