• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marrakech in Montclair

SusanGiff

We went the first weekend, so I would give them some slack. My wife had chicken couscous. It was one piece of chicken(leg-thigh combo) in an endless bowl of couscous with vegetables. I thought they could have put in more chicken.

i had a lamb tagine. i don't want to say that the lamb was tough, but it took Glide floss, a Butler tooth stimulator and a Sonicare to get it out of my teeth.

The place is beautiful, the staff could not be friendlier or more helpful. The seating is not that comfortable. Despite pouring rain and our 9pm arrival, the place was packed, so make reservations.

I think that they can get it together. But do try different entrees than we had.

I haven't been yet, but saw a friend yesterday who said he really enjoyed it last week. We didn't discuss specific dishes, but there is an article and some comments here on Baristanet. Ymmv.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 1 month later...

BUMP.

Am going to Marrakech this weekend for a friend's birthday...anyone been? Is it a BYO? Any/all info appreciated...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Thanks, SK (and can I get a HOO RAH?!? Great week! :biggrin: )

I'm looking forward to trying it, and am thinking Prosecco is the answer!

Scarlet Knight, I can't answer your question about the RU football team (I don't think anybody can! :laugh: ) but I can tell you about Marrakech.

We were a large group (12-14), and my feeling that night still matches the one that I have now...Marrakech is a great experience, but it's not a standout in terms of food. It's a particularly fun time with a large group! The place is beautifully decorated, the owners over-the-top gracious, service is fine, and the menu is interesting.

We had the Cigars Moroccain (ground beef-filled phyllo dough), and I felt we were off to a great start...the only other app I tasted was the lentil salad, which was also very good. They brought baskets of (storebought) pita, along with (one small dish of) an olive tapenade that was also very tasty, but never refilled until we requested more. A few friends had the scallop appetizer, which they said was good too. For my entree, I chose the duck with figs; having read about it on here and on the Baristanet thread, I knew that's what I was ordering before I ever set foot in the place, as those are two of my favorite things! The duck and figs were yummy, but I wish they had asked how I wanted the duck cooked, as it was overdone for me. The carrots and string beans that accompanied it were wonderful--cooked al dente, lightly seasoned. The mashed potatoes were incredibly salty. And I just couldn't believe that those were the side dishes! I'd be shocked to learn that they're authentic pairings.

I got to taste the pastilla au poulet...for those who haven't ever had/seen one, pastilla is a huge (as in, fills the plate), fried, self-contained pie (like a knish), in this case, filled with a mixture of ground chicken with nuts and lots of cinnamon. It is usually sprinkled with confectioner's sugar--this one had way too much on top. My friend commented that she hadn't ordered dessert yet, and I had to agree with her. This is a heavy dish on its own, and the fact that it was loaded with sugar just made it seem all the heavier (think zeppoles that have been sitting in the bag, absorbing sugar, and add a LOT of meat). Another friend (who doesn't eat any meat) ordered the salmon, which she said was a good piece of fish, but it wasn't very interesting taste-wise. Others had the pastilla that is filled with seafood, and they agreed that it was good.

Issues:

$9 for a bottle of Pellegrino. Read that again...it's not a typo, nor is it on the menu. You just get the shock with the check.

$5 for a tiny, tiny, TINY glass of 'tea,' which is actually fresh mint steeped in hot water with waaay too much sugar. I don't need to pay for the fancy pouring, even though it's part of the experience. It's neat to watch, but I'd rather pay $2, be offered the option of the level of sweetness, and I'll pour it myself.

In the end, I just keep returning to my original comment...Marrakech is a fun night (even better if you go late, as they turn up the music) with a big group--just don't go expecting to be knocked out by the food. It's good, but for $40+ pp, if you're in it for the food, head to Blu. Or if you're in San Francisco, go to Aziza for a Moroccan dinner you shouldn't miss! :wink:

Issues: 

$9 for a bottle of Pellegrino.  Read that again...it's not a typo, nor is it on the menu.  You just get the shock with the check.

That IS shocking. I'm going to have to start asking the price if this marks the start of a new trend. Yikes.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845