• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Livre de Cuisine

Drewman

For those who haven't heard, Alain Ducasse & Frederic Robert's Grand Livre de Cuisine: Desserts & Pastries is finally being released in English at the end of October for $195. Wal-Mart (of all places) is having a pre-release sale for $115. Here's a link

Grand Livre de Cuisine

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

Drewman, what has been your experience with translated works? I often find translations very poorly done in other literary areas. It is a major issue with a lot of works and I am wondering if it is also is a problem with books in this field.

I tend to purchase the books in French and struggle along, relying on my hubby for translations if needed.

I've only seen the French edition of this particular title, but overall the Ducasse translations tend not to be particularly well done. I definitely recommend the French originals if you have or can acquire the ability to decode them.

Anyway . . . what's up with Wal-Mart carrying the Ducasse pastry book? I mean, that's just a really strange partnership. I could sort of see Target doing it, because Target has a certain sense of style and sometimes makes expeditions into upscale spaces, but Wal-Mart? Must be a quirk of the distribution system.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

For a long time, Ducasse's books were published by his own publishing company and were sold in the places you'd expect to find them: the cookbook specialty stores, in Ducasse's restaurants and online. This latest seems to be published by Stewart, Tabori and Chang. I guess the STC rep convinced Wal-Mart to stock this title. Not sure why, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I personally find it can be informative to read these books, even when they're translated. Ideas, techniques, flavor combos, things I may have known but forgotten over the years; I usually find something useful.

But I don't get the Wal-Mart thang, either. And thank god it's available through amazon, because my family has a long-standing boycott going on Wal-mart and I would have had to say good-bye to that great price.

So, thanks for the heads up on that, too!!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

When i used to Google Pierre Gagnaire 'Reflections On Culinary Artistry' Wal- Mart always came up!!!!

I had seen the softcover version on This site and it's seems like a good price, since it's truly an amazing book.

What will make or break the Engish version ( for me) is if they don't screw up the measurements, ie., I want metric.

Exciting news though!

Thanks for posting it.

2317/5000