• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Francesco's Hole in the Wall - Northbrook, IL

Daniel

Ok.. After coming to Des Plaines and Rosemont, for the last 6 years, 8 times a year, I finally rented a car.. I was watching my favorite Chicago Show last night.. The name now escapes me, but basically they take three people and have them each choose a restaurant.. They all go to each others choices and then discuss the food..

Francesco's really caught my eye and I am thinking of going.. Has anyone been here and is it worth the ride from Rosemont.. Having exhausted every place in town.. Is it worth traveling to eat here? Its only 19 miles away.. I am here to next friday so I was thinking of going sometime next week.. I am assuming a hole in the wall will be packed the next couple of days..

Thanks.

Edited by Daniel (log)

The show is Check Please. I think that one is a repeat that's been on a few times - a best of Chicago Italian? - if I recall. I've been to Hole in the Wall a number of times. Usually jammed, no credit cards. I'd say the food is equivalent to your good neighborhood NY Italian restaurant. Not sure if that makes it a destination for you or not.

Edited by rickster (log)

Ok.. After coming to Des Plaines and Rosemont, for the last 6 years, 8 times a year, I finally rented a car.. I was watching my favorite Chicago Show last night.. The name now escapes me, but basically they take three people and have them each choose a restaurant.. They all go to each others choices and then discuss the food..

Francesco's really caught my eye and I am thinking of going.. Has anyone been here and is it worth the ride from Rosemont.. Having exhausted every place in town.. Is it worth traveling to eat here? Its only 19 miles away.. I am here to next friday so I was thinking of going sometime next week.. I am assuming a hole in the wall will be packed the next couple of days..

Thanks.

The show is called Check, Please! and don't worry, it was a re-run.

The place has been there and packed for a good 20 years. It's cash only and it's jammed out the door when it first opens at 5 pm. But, around 7-7:30, after the first full turn, the mostly local, suburban crowd begins to dissolve.

The food is fantastic and the service is very friendly. Wine selections are decent. Beware, it's cash only. But I will say that it is definitely worth the drive and definitely worth the wait. Knowing your home turf Daniel, I know you have access to great food but I pretty certain that this will stack up.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Nice.. Sounds good and thanks for your advice.. I hit up a little Super Dog tonight after hearing there was a 1/2 hour wait by 7.. The girl who answered the phone said they are closed on Monday but, Next Door is opened.. What is Next Door? Same food different atmosphere? Is it literally next door?

Nice.. Sounds good and thanks for your advice.. I hit up a little Super Dog tonight after hearing there was a 1/2 hour wait by 7.. The girl who answered the phone said they are closed on Monday but, Next Door is opened..  What is Next Door?  Same food different atmosphere? Is it literally next door?

Literally next door, same ownership but more of a bistro menu and not Italian. If I'm not mistaken, chef at ND is daughter of Frank (Francesco). The food is, again, very good but it isn't really the same as HitW. I'm not sure it woulc be as worth it to make the trip to ND, but Prairie Grass Cafe, which is excellent, is just down the street and definitely worth the trip, IMO.

=R=

Went to Francesco's.. It was fun..The food, an average Red Sauce Joint... On Par with Basillico's out of Rosemont Area... We had a lot of fun.. We ordered the Salad, the Clams, a Cheese Stuffed Pasta with a mushroom red sauce and red snapper Vesuvio.. Everything was average until the tasteless Vesuvio..

We waited 10 minutes at 9'o clock on a Saturday... A beer and the house wine was $7 or $10 bucks.. Me and my Dad just hung out for awhile.. The company was the best part...The two of us in a rental car, blind as bats, made our way home...

Edited by Daniel (log)

Went to Francesco's.. It was fun..The food, an average Red Sauce Joint... On Par with Basillico's out of Rosemont Area... We had a lot of fun.. We ordered the Salad, the Clams, a Cheese Stuffed Pasta with a mushroom red sauce and red snapper Vesuvio.. Everything was average until the tasteless Vesuvio..

We waited 10 minutes at  9'o clock on a Saturday... A beer and the house wine was $7 or $10 bucks..  Me and my Dad just hung out for awhile.. The company was the best part...The two of us in a rental car, blind as bats, made our wat home...

I'm not surprised by your reaction, although I do consider it to be a notch above other "Red Sauce Joints" around here because their ingredients are extremely fresh and dishes are made to order. I do love their salad but definitely would have opted for the Chicken Vesuvio, which I think of as their signature dish. Glad you had a good time. I've never been to Basillico's but if it's on a par with Hole in the Wall, I'd definitely consider it next time I'm in the Rosemont area looking for a decent meal.

=R=