• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

List of Food Products no Longer Available

ludja

Kraft Jalapeno Cheese

It's just not the same making Spinach Madeline, that Louisiana holiday staple, without it.

And you say that you wouldn't eat that? Well, you don't know what you are missing, bub.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

When I was a kid there was a pudding product that was portable instant pudding. I remember putting it in my school lunchbox.

There was a plastic container with a lid that you put milk in, added the pudding powder, capped it and then shook it for a minute or so until it was pudding. A sort of instant-instant pudding, no mixer needed. :blink:

Anyone else remember this product?

I recall the butterscotch pudding was that gold color that was so peculiar to the late 60's and early 70's kitchen appliances. It was like eating Harvest Gold spackle. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

When I was a kid there was a pudding product that was portable instant pudding. I remember putting it in my school lunchbox.

There was a plastic container with a lid that you put milk in, added the pudding powder, capped it and then shook it for a minute or so until it was pudding. A sort of instant-instant pudding, no mixer needed.  :blink:

Anyone else remember this product?

I recall the butterscotch pudding was that gold color that was so peculiar to the late 60's and early 70's kitchen appliances. It was like eating Harvest Gold spackle.  :laugh:

Shake-a-Pudding!!!

Kevin

http://www.roadode.com/eat_2.shtml

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

KOK, I am almost positive that in a late night web surf I read that Marathon bars are indeed gone from the earth. My brother and I used to get one to split when we were kids at the gas station down the road (we lived OUT in the country). We would put it on the dashboard on the way home to get all soft and melty then procede to pull it apart into a chocolate-y caramel mess when we got home. I was trying to find them to give my brother for Christmas. No dice.

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

• 1 month later...

My latest trip to Trader Joes revealed that they have done away with the blister peanuts... I will miss them.

Anybody know who else sells such things and what they're called? Google reveals that "blister peanuts" is a TJ-ism, rather than a commonly used trade description.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

KOK, I am almost positive that in a late night web surf I read that Marathon bars are indeed gone from the earth. My brother and I used to get one to split when we were kids at the gas station down the road (we lived OUT in the country). We would put it on the dashboard on the way home to get all soft and melty then procede to pull it apart into a chocolate-y caramel mess when we got home. I was trying to find them to give my brother for Christmas. No dice.

Have you tried the Cadbury UK Curly Wurly bars? I'm told they are similar.

Cheryl

Back in the 80s, maybe early 90s, Quaker used to make a rice cake that was either nacho cheese or taco flavored. They were crunchy, salty and just a little bit spicy. I loved them but have not been able to find them for years. They were the perfect snack (for me at least).

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Doritos Taco flavor. They were available until the early 90's. I was working in a convenience store in 1992-1993 and had the Frito Lay salesman track down a few bags for me. Took him a couple of weeks to get some, and they completely disappeared after that. They were good, and I was holding out hope for it being reintroduced as one of the newer flavors with a different name, but that recipe is not around in any form anymore.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

there was a candy in the 90s called "Power Hose" that looked like a slim, pink, can of shaving cream with a clear hose extending from the nozzle. You would put the hose in your mouth and slowly squirt an expanding pink foam into your mouth. The flavor was a pretty generic citric acid taste but it was really good and so much fun. It was such a strange idea but somehow I loved it.

Mayhaw man Kraft jalapeno cheese is avalable I just bought some here in BR.

anyone remeber Fizz-Nic's also sold as a sputnic ball; a 2 peice plastic ball you put ice cream in & stuck 1 end in a bottle of pop?

Cherrys potatoe chips (I think these were made localy)

Fruit stripe gum

Burger Chef

Wheat stax cereal

Big Johns beans

Canada dry pineapple soda

Dr Pepper made with Cane sugar (still avalable from this link)

http://www.olddocs.com/

Coke made with cane sugar (avalable during Passover in Jewish markets) L@@k for a yellow cap on the bottle

here is a link to more food memorys & other baby boomer stuff, click on the hot dog for food memories.

http://octanecreative.com/boomerbaby/index.html

heres another link to candy

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/CandyList.htm

Edited by 007bond-jb (log)