• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

List of Food Products no Longer Available

ludja

I also second the Alpine White Bar, and add Planter's Cheese Balls, they are beautiful things. I really don't think I miss anything else.

And a couple I have questions about, man, I'm a huge nerd.

Keelber Munch 'ems

Necco Wafters-Tart Flavor

Lea & Perrin Sweet & Spicy Steak

q

Williams Lectric Shave Menthol

Williams Lectric Shave Ultra

[list of 15 Heinz varieties deleted]

Are they going to update their packaging to reflect this change?

(Apparently if you hit it on the 42 it comes right out!)

:biggrin::laugh:

Oh, I think they went way past 57 varieties many, many moons ago.

And even after selling their canned-soup business to Del Monte, I think they're still comfortably over the threshold.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I'd like to add Earthbound Farm's Baby Spinach to the list. Having been OOT throughout the "situation" I am heading to the grocery shortly and am distressed to think of what I will find in the produce aisle. My own fall greens aren't quite 'there' yet. :sad:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Sadly (but not surprisingly) no fresh spinach of any sort, but . . .

I was surprised that some of the foods were on the "no longer available" list. I spend little time in the center part of the store as a rule but chili weather has arrived and I wanted some canned tomatos and beans, so there I was. In any case, I found quite a few items on that list in my regular ol' grocery. So now I'm wondering if they're available only in the midwest ("Hey, let's ship all of our old canned goods to Kansas - they'll never notice!" :wink:) or if they're just using the power of suggestion as a marketing tool?

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Fruit Float.

Libby's made it in the 60's-early 70's I think.

The strawberry was wonderful. Some sort of canned fruit stuff you mixed or whipped with cold milk, as I recall. I scarfed that that stuff by the ton.

Sort of a heavy mousse when set.

I was before I knew how to even boil water, and my taste buds might set up a gag reflex if I had it today, but damn, that stuff was good at the time.

I'd sure like to try it again.

A few items I wish hadn't gone.....

- The old 7-up candy bar. This was the kind that was made from 7 candies held together with chocolate, and a brazil nut was the one in the middle. Each of the seven pieces had its own texture and taste. If you're not pretty old already you won't remember these.... They repackaged them in wrappers saying "New! Improved!" But they lied - they'd taken the nut away and made the bar into something pretty bland and uninteresting. Folks weren't deceived and so the company stopped making them altogether after a couple years.

- Bigelow's Specially Strawberry Herb Tea. When the powers-that-be decided that everyone should eat raspberry instead, they dropped the strawberry flavor.

- I haven't seen Woody's Cookin-In Sauce around in the last year - have they stop making it? It was the real concentrated BBQ flavoured stuff (add your own sugar - oh,, gee, that's a lot of trouble for people, better to sell the stuff with little flavor, but lots of sugar, salt, grease, and chemicals....)

- VitaSoy Creamy Unsweetened Soymilk. Really tasty, like extra-rich milk. They still have plain unsweetened, not half as good.

The least-common-denominator always prevails.

~~phage

Gac

What a interesting thread this is and I've found myself trying to remember products that may have gone to pasture. One that comes to mind that no one seems to remember "Or at least in my family" is Big John baked beans.

Strange that they came with two cans one which was the beans and the other the sauce which had to be mixed together. Anyone recall.

Robert R

What a interesting thread this is and I've found myself trying to remember products that may have gone to pasture. One that comes to mind that no one seems to remember "Or at least in my family" is Big John baked beans.

Strange that they came with two cans one which was the beans and the other the sauce which had to be mixed together. Anyone recall.

Yeah, I remember them. I liked the sauce so much, that I ate the little can and left the big can of beans. My wife couldn't keep up with eating the beans, and I always thought there wasn't enough of the sauce for the big can anyways!

doc

Yeah, I remember them. I liked the sauce so much, that I ate the little can and left the big can of beans. My wife couldn't keep up with eating the beans, and I always thought there wasn't enough of the sauce for the big can anyways!

doc

And I thought I was the only one to do that. :laugh:

Robert R

This had brought back a flood of memories for me as well...

Yes, the Brach's Chocolate-covered Caramels - used to swipe one or two when shopping and once a year would buy a pound or two.

Wolfgang Puck's frozen desserts. There were three I remember, two that were simply defrosted and one that had to be baked. The baked item was a tarte tatin and a separate packet of caramel sauce that you would put in hot water while the tart was in the oven. The other two were mousse-based; my favorite being a chocolate mousse through which ran a river of raspberries. It was wrapped in dark chocolate and had a raspberry sauce packet. The other mousse was a layered confection of dark and milk chocolates with a hazelnut layer. Don't remember its sauce... They were really, really good.

Continuing in the frozen food theme, I miss the Stouffer's Lobster Thermidor. Odd, but true. Also, Lean Cuisine made a country lamb stew that was quite nice.

Trader Joe's has a variety of products that come and go, but I am most whistful about a mushroom risotto.

And while apparently still made and sold in Canada, I have been long-lamenting the loss of Pim's Pear - they are making and releasing hideously bad chocolate mousse and lemon fluff versions, but the Pear was exceptional.

Lastly, does anyone else remember when Special K cereal were small, little cup-shaped flakes? Somehow when they made them into big flakes the taste changed. I'm going back 30+ years on that one...

Lastly, does anyone else remember when Special K cereal were small, little cup-shaped flakes? Somehow when they made them into big flakes the taste changed. I'm going back 30+ years on that one...

Great reminder! As I been meaning to start a thread on this very topic.

I often have believed some products have changed over the years but wondered of it was just my taste changing. :wink: Speaking of cereal, I swear Apple Jacks have changed since I was a kid.

Robert R

I just now remembered that there was some company out in NY that made gourmet TV dinners. I bought several of the filet mignon. It had a little cup of real bearnaise sauce that you had to take special care to reconstitute as it thawed. The filet was mighty small, but also tender and delicious. I remember that they weren't on the market very long, and now that I think about it, I kind of miss them!

Now that I think about it a little more, I remember back in about 1971-2 time frame, there were Libbyland TV dinners for children. There'd be a little hot dog or a little hamburger, usually some sort of chocolate pudding, a drink mix for your milk, and they were on sale many times for $0.19 a piece. We ate a lot of those before I found my first job out of college!

doc

Edited by deltadoc (log)

Oh, sweet heart, darling of mine, I've tried those. They're NOT Horelick's like the tablets we used to getalthough I have been told that there are wild variations in texture and flavor, depending on what the labels say. However, they are pretty close, close enough, in fact, that boys who like to roleplay WWI and WWII actually use them in their field kits.

Hydrox cookies, I loved them when I was a child, and Oreo's are NOT the same at all.

And Horelick's Malted Milk Tablets.

Get me some, someone?

You can get them all the time here! They have the regular flavour & the chocolate ones as well. Only at the Chinese grocery stores though. I'll gladly send you some! :smile:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Pillsbury Space Food Sticks-my brother and I were totally into these when we played "astronaut" in my bedroom closet (which I had converted into a spaceship).

Holy crap! I forgot all ab out these. I loved them too.

Here Ya Go! There's one place you can wait for them to arrive. A few years ago I bought a case from White Wings in Australia, but they seem to be kaput. Only chocolate was available. I had not liked chocolate ones as a kid, these fared no better than the chocolate in days of old, in fact, other than being packed in plastic packing instead of silver 'space foil', and being square tubes instead of cylinders, they WERE identical to chocolate Space Sticks of memory. The rest of the case went on ePay. I campaigned for peanut butter and malted milk flavors, but nothing came of it.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Now that I think about it a little more, I remember back in about 1971-2 time frame, there were Libbyland TV dinners for children.  There'd be a little hot dog or a little hamburger, usually some sort of chocolate pudding, a drink mix for your milk, and they were on sale many times for $0.19 a piece.  doc

Don't remember the price and my recollection of these was more in the 60s, but yes, I loved those Libbyland dinners! My mother (a then-rare divorced mother) had a Wednesday night social "thing" (big band, "over 28 Club" it was called) so we routinely had a sitter, and our favorite eats were these - preferable to whatever else take-out or frozen fare was then available. Ah, the good ol' days!

Soon the take-out situation improved (Pizza Hut, Taco Kid and Taco Tico as I recall, in our neck of the woods) and somewhat later I was older and allowed to cook and our gustatory life improved. I started making simple meals at 7 ('63) and my brother made his first chocolate souffle shortly thereafter. Necessity is the mother of invention.

M.F.K. Fisher

Come to think of it, almost anything that used to be made in the 50's that is still available isn't made the same anymore!

doc

I think you're on to something here. Somewhere along the way, the chocolate in M&M's changed. I'm thinking around the early 70's?? I remember saving up dimes and nickles and buying a big pound bag of them when I was a kid and thinking "YUCK, something is different"

-therese

Many parts of a pine tree are edible.

... Horelick's Malted Milk Tablets.  Get me some, someone?

Not sure if these are what chocomoo gets in Canada. Hopefully they're what you're looking for.

Though it seems they vanished from the face of the earth, I'm still hoping to find marathon bars and Bonomo Turkish taffy. All the imitations fail to me.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Come to think of it, almost anything that used to be made in the 50's that is still available isn't made the same anymore!

doc

I think you're on to something here. Somewhere along the way, the chocolate in M&M's changed. I'm thinking around the early 70's?? I remember saving up dimes and nickles and buying a big pound bag of them when I was a kid and thinking "YUCK, something is different"

-therese

Actually, you're quite right!! M&M's started putting peanuts in the Plain M&M's to "up" the protein content. It was about the early 1970's when Food Co-ops were springing up in all the old hippie communities, and everyone was getting into eating food that had real food value. A lot of people didn't believe me, but I showed 'em the ingredients on the bag of Plain M&M's and by golly gee willikers, there is was "peanuts". Obviously ground up so to differentiate them from the "Peanut M&M's".

doc