• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

List of Food Products no Longer Available

ludja

This is from a website I stumbled across called Hometown Favorites

Boy they were good but...

All good things must come to an end. Unfortunately, it may have been one of your Hometown Favorites! This list represents products requested by our customers, that we have confirmed are no longer in production. You can stop looking! They are no longer available. Some products have just changed names, those are listed in the search page.

If the product you are looking for is not in this list, then you might still find it in our on-line store; try searching here.

Here is one I suspected was no longer around but am sad to see confirmed:

Pepperidge Farms Chocolate Lace Pirouette Cookies

(First the plain pirouettes disappeared and now they are followed by the Chocolate Lace ones... Back in the day, these used to be a standard off the shelf add on to a dish of ice cream with whipped cream. RIP)

There is other stuff that I had no idea I was missing... :laugh:

Willie Wonka Dinosaur Eggs

Yoder's Scrapple

and

Necco Tart Flavor Wafers

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I guess if one is really surprised that something one liked is on the list, one really didn't do enough to support it. :raz:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Hydrox cookies, I loved them when I was a child, and Oreo's are NOT the same at all.

And Horelick's Malted Milk Tablets.

Get me some, someone?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Well, you can always check at

Classic Candies

if Hometown Favorites doesn't have what you want.

I know what you mean about the Hydrox cookies. It has been closed for several years now, but at one time there was a Sunshine Cookie baking plant on Roscoe Blvd. and the aroma would permeate the entire area.

They sold 5-pound bags of "broken and misshaped" cookies for a dollar in the late 50s, later the price went up a bit but they were still a super bargain. You could tell what type of cookies were baking by the aroma and the chocolate wafers were very distinctive.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hydrox cookies, I loved them when I was a child, and Oreo's are NOT the same at all.

Years ago I read an article , maybe in the New Yorker, in which Hydrox and Oreos were compared to determin which was best. The final results were that what would be best would be Oreo chocolate cookies with the Hydrox filling.

I still have occasional cravings for Liederkrantz. How do you satisfy a hunger for an extinct cheese?

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Sunshine (maker of Hydrox) Lemon Coolers and Tostitos Hint of Jalapeno.

Interesting about the latter than when I was at the local supermarket and the Frito-Lay guy was there stocking the shelves, he said he had received more negative comments about the discontinuance of that particular product than any he could remember.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

OK, I've confirmed what others have kindly pointed out: I'm a Damn Freak. Not only do I not mourn the passing of a single item on that list, I recognized maybe four of them. The closest I got to regret was Horehound Lumps, if they were close to that candy-counter Canadian confection, the Humbug.

You gotta love natural selection.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Sally cookies

Hunt's Skillet Lasagna Dinners

3 Musketeers made the way they were in the 50's

Milky Ways made the way they were in the 50's

Coca-cola made the way it was in the 50's

Pepsi made the way it was in the 50's

Hostess Cupcakes made the way they were in the 50's with real whipped cream

Come to think of it, almost anything that used to be made in the 50's that is still available isn't made the same anymore!

doc

With absolutely no debate, argument or question...the number one food item that people ask for at my store (which they may still make but you can't find it anywhere!) are those chocolate thin wafer cookies - I think they were called famous cookies (or something like) that from Nabisco. They were a favorite for crumbling into cheesecake crust, and the recipe on the package called for layering them with cool whip into a log, setting overnight and eating.

Edited to add: I did some snooping. They still make them, but they don't even list them on their website - just in their recipes. Here's a blurb from an Amazon vedor:

# Originally produced by the National Biscuit Company in 1924,

# Other than a change in packaging (used to come in tins), this delicious wafer is baked pretty much the same way it's always been

Edited by gfron1 (log)

I know what you mean about the Hydrox cookies.  It has been closed for several years now, but at one time there was a Sunshine Cookie baking plant on Roscoe Blvd. and the aroma would permeate the entire area.

Sunshine Biscuits used to have a major plant in the Fairfax industrial district of Kansas City, Kansas, on (natch) Sunshine Road.

The company began as the Loose-Wiles Biscuit Company of Kansas City, whose owners had been part of the National Biscuit Company syndicate. They built a bakery in Kansas City in 1902 that had lots of windows to let in light and named the crackers they produced "Sunshine Biscuits" in honor of the plant. Loose-Wiles changed its name to Sunshine Biscuits in 1946.

I don't know why Keebler discontinued Hydrox after it acquired Sunshine in 1998 or thereabouts. After all, Keebler didn't--and doesn't--have a chocolate creme sandwich cookie of its own (I believe Vienna Fingers were also a Sunshine product).

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Oh, man how can I go through life without access to:

Armour Beef Tripe

and

Bush's saurkraut juice?

However, I was distressed to find:

Brach's chocolate covered cherries (uh, oh, my wife wants a box of those at Christmas, and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't find them for the past 2 years)

Nestle's toasted coconut Treasures (she likes those, too!)

Freakies cereal (uh, that's been gone since the 70's right?)

Betty Crocker frosting mixes (I don't remember the last time I saw a frosting mix)

Lime and raspberry KoolAid - How, in the name of all that is good and tasty, did they get rid of Lime KoolAid? Kids don't get enough LIME in their diet these days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

With absolutely no debate, argument or question...the number one food item that people ask for at my store (which they may still make but you can't find it anywhere!) are those chocolate thin wafer cookies - I think they were called famous cookies (or something like) that from Nabisco.  They were a favorite for crumbling into cheesecake crust, and the recipe on the package called for layering them with cool whip into a log, setting overnight and eating.

Edited to add: I did some snooping.  They still make them, but they don't even list them on their website - just in their recipes.  Here's a blurb from an Amazon vedor:

# Originally produced by the National Biscuit Company in 1924,

# Other than a change in packaging (used to come in tins), this delicious wafer is baked pretty much the same way it's always been

I can find these at any local supermarket. Thye are always on the top shelf, tho, and there aren't many packages of them, so it's not as impressive as the display of triscuits in all of their yellow-boxed glory. But they are there!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Wow, there was a Betty Crocker Cream Puff Mix? Maybe that was before my time!

Ooooooh, I remember the Betty Crocker Snackin' Cake.....came with it's own paper pan that you could put in the oven! I think you mixed the whole thing up in the pan and popped it in to bake.

I totally miss 1-2-3 Jello!!!!

Budwine Soda? :blink:

Chicken Dinner Candy Bar????? :wacko::blink:

Eagle Brand Chocolate Condensed Milk??? How'd I miss that?

General Mills Fruit Brute Cereal :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

General Mills Pink Panther Flakes-I was CRUSHED when I was little and they stopped making these!

I LOVED PINK CORNFLAKES!!!

Kellogg's Concentrate Cereal?

Nabisco Mystic Mints NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Nabisco Ritz Cracker Crumbs (like I can't make these myself???)

Nabisco Team Cereal-This cereal was SO GREAT. It stayed crunchy in milk FOREVER.

Orbitz Soda-Anybody ever see this stuff? I bought three bottles when I saw it, because it looked so cool! I drank one, and it was AWFUL! I saved the other two for the novelty. There are little colored orbs suspended in the beverage. Sort of like a soda lava-lamp.

Pepsi Kona-what was that?

Pillsbury Space Food Sticks-my brother and I were totally into these when we played "astronaut" in my bedroom closet (which I had converted into a spaceship).

Ahhhhh.....memories! :wub:

The new, smaller gobstoppers really piss me off.

I want my older, two-across gobstoppers, dammit!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

And Horelick's Malted Milk Tablets.

Get me some, someone?

You can get them all the time here! They have the regular flavour & the chocolate ones as well. Only at the Chinese grocery stores though. I'll gladly send you some! :smile:

Orbitz Soda-Anybody ever see this stuff? I bought three bottles when I saw it, because it looked so cool! I drank one, and it was AWFUL! I saved the other two for the novelty. There are little colored orbs suspended in the beverage. Sort of like a soda lava-lamp.

I remember those! I made my mother buy me a six pack of them, and then after trying the first one refused to drink any more. She was mad! haha!

Such a sad product. They looked SO COOL yet tasted so incredibly awful.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Surely we still have Bacardi Breezers in Canada?

I am pretty sure there was a woman demo-ing some new flavour in the LDB the other day.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Heinz Green Ketchup

Heinz Hamburger Relish

Heinz Hawaiian Barbecue Sauce

Heinz Hot Ketchup

Heinz Ketchup and Onions

Heinz Ketchup Kickr's Zesty Garlic

Heinz Mayonnaise

Heinz Mustard Pickles

Heinz Original Barbecue Sauce

Heinz Picallili Relish

Heinz Salsa Ketchup

Heinz Savory Sauce

Heinz Soups (Food Service only)

Heinz Sweet Mixed Pickles

Heinz Yellow Mustard (Food Service only)

Are they going to update their packaging to reflect this change?

(Apparently if you hit it on the 42 it comes right out!)

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Vendome liquor stores used to carry those fat little pretzels stuffed with sharp cheddar. (They also had the ones stuffed with peanut butter but I really liked the cheddar. They were in an unmarked cello bag with just the ingredients and nutritional information, no brand name.

However, regarding the discontinuation of many of the very popular snacks (and other foods) of yesteryear one just has to look at who actually owns those companies. As the old saying goes, "Follow The Money" and you can see where the ultimate power to cut the "deadwood" in these companies. Far too often, it is not a pretty picture.

Who really calls the shots.

I haven't been able to find Nabisco Twigs in any market for the past couple of years. It may be a regional thing but I have asked other people, who live in different regions, and they don't see them either.

You can ask Phillip Morris why they discontinued lime Kool-Aid.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett