• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Regional Cuisine in DF

salomonrobyn

El Universal published a list with a short description of the typical food of each Mexican State and a restaurant in Mexico City where the food can be tried. For some states, no restaurant was given.

Baja California: Acqua. Masaryk 275, Polanco 5282.3292

Baja California Sur: Punta Baviri. Anatole France 115, Polanco 5281.8671

Campeche: La Casa de Campeche. Fuente de Tritones 19, Lomas de Tecamachalco 5294-5694

Chiapas: Chamulas Bar. Bolívar 438, Col. Obrera 5519-1336

Chihuahua: Applebee´s. Plaza Delta. Av. Cuauhtémoc y Viaducto 5519-1195

Coahuila: Noste. Guerrero 222, Col. Guerrero 5526-5404

DF y Edo de Mex: Restaurante Chon. Regina 160, Centro 5542-0873

Durango: Los Dorados de Durango. Durango esq. Morelia, Roma 5514-1583

Guerrero: Fiesta Guerrerense. Bahía del Espíritu Santo 21 Local 6, Anzures. 5260-0318

Hidalgo: El Hidalguense. Campeche 155, Roma. 5564-0538

Jalisco: El Pialadero de Guadalajara. Liverpool 138, Zona Rosa. 5208-3384

Michoacan: La Casa de Michoacán. Lucerna 63, Juárez. 5566-0466

Morelos: La Terraza. Plaza de la Constitución 13, piso 6 Centro 5521-7934

Nuevo Leon: Regios. Río Tiber 71 Cuauhtémoc 5514.2014

Oaxaca: Casa Neri. Bélgica 211, Portales 5539-3386

Puebla: Fonda Santa Clara. Reforma 80, Hotel Fiesta Americana, Col. Juárez 5140-4100 ext. 4264

Sinaloa: Mazatlán. Miguel Ángel de Quevedo 75, Chimalistac. 5661-1048

Tabasco: María del alma. Cuernavaca 68, Condesa

Tamaulipas: Antojería del Valle. Amores casi esq. San Borja. 5559-9275

Tlaxcala: San Francisco. San Ildefonso 40, Centro. 5702-9110

Veracruz: El Tajín. Miguel Ángel de Quevedo 687 Coyoacán. 5659.4447

Yucatan: Los Almendros. Campos Elíseos 164, Polanco. 5531-6646

El Universal (Guia del Ocio / Bares y Restaurantes), Aug 3 2006

El Universal published a list with a short description of the typical food of each Mexican State and a restaurant in Mexico City where the food can be tried. For some states, no restaurant was given.

Can you tell us when this list appeared? in Universal???

Campeche: La Casa de Campeche. Fuente de Tritones 19, Lomas de Tecamachalco 5294-5694

Guerrero: Fiesta Guerrerense. Bahía del Espíritu Santo 21 Local 6, Anzures.  5260-0318

Hidalgo: El Hidalguense. Campeche 155, Roma.  5564-0538

Puebla: Fonda Santa Clara. Reforma 80, Hotel Fiesta Americana, Col. Juárez 5140-4100 ext. 4264

Sinaloa: Mazatlán. Miguel Ángel de Quevedo 75, Chimalistac.  5661-1048

Is this the entire list? Ifso, I wonder how these particular restaurants came to be selected?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I think the writer wanted to provide one place per state, but perhaps couldn't find one for some states like Aguascalientes, Colima, Guanajuato, Nayarit, Queretaro, etc. There is no suggestion that the list is comprehensive, but I think it provides a good starting point. From the restaurants listed there, I have only been to El Tajin, Los Almendros and Maria del Alma. All three are good choices to represent the typical food of Veracruz, Yucatan and Tabasco. I will be in Mexico next month and I'll try a couple more from the list.

Does anybody have better choices for regional food than those listed here?

Is this the entire list? Ifso, I wonder how these particular restaurants came to be selected?

Guerrero: Fiesta Guerrerense. Bahía del Espíritu Santo 21 Local 6, Anzures.  5260-0318

Hidalgo: El Hidalguense. Campeche 155, Roma.  5564-0538

Sinaloa: Mazatlán. Miguel Ángel de Quevedo 75, Chimalistac.  5661-1048

Man....this list came much too late. I was at DF on June. We spent too much time in la Condesa and Polanco.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Applebee's is typical food from Chihuahua? Who knew.............

Applebee's is typical food from Chihuahua? Who knew.............

That is hysterical...

Arley Sasson

Well you beat me to it! Applebees, right!!

You know this was a list for Capitalinos who need to be told where to go. I don't have my favorites by region because in a city this big its better to choose where to eat by where you will be. As well the most successful restaurants have board menus that cover more than one region. But if I had to give you my favorites: El Bajio for veracruzan style cuisine, especially now that its more accessible at the Parque Delta commercial center on Ave. Cuauhtemoc., maybe that's who they really meant on this list? For prehispanic it would have to be Don Chon near the La Merced market or the Hotentote for down home and funky but filled with the art of the "Hotentote" Jose Gomez Rosas. For tamales ( if you don't get up early enough to catch the locals at their favorite corners everywhere in the city) try Flor de Lis in Condesa on Huichapan No. 21 where tamales from every region are featured. For hot chocolate where else but El Moro on the Eje Central.

Sorry but I've got to run -- "El Grito" tonight (Mexican Cry of independence)

Que Viva Mexico, libre y independiente!

Although, I must admit, I have not been to Los Almendros, I have tried just about every Yucatecan place in the city and still return to Coox Hanal, Isabel la Catolica 83, 2nd floor, near c/Mesones, (Centro Historico). They are only open mid-day, ie. until 6.

Have not been to some of the others and will be doing more research - will let you all know.

El Bajio does dishes of that region, ie. Queretaro and Guanajuato etc. , but I don't think exclusively. Those states are not known for their fabulous cuisines, although I think this is arguable.

I think there is some connection between Los Almendros in Mexico City and the famous one in Ticul, Yucatan, although they are not own by the same people. There are 2 other branches in the south of the city.

On the other hand, the Mexico City branches of the Fonda Santa Clara do belong to the same people as the original one in Puebla. The other Mexico City branch is in Insurgentes Sur 1839, a few blocks south of Barranca del Muerto.

Although, I must admit, I have not been to Los Almendros, I have tried just about every Yucatecan place in the city and still return to Coox Hanal,  Isabel la Catolica 83, 2nd floor, near c/Mesones, (Centro Historico). They are only open mid-day, ie. until 6.

Have not been to some of the others and will be doing more research - will let you all know.

El Bajio does dishes of that region, ie. Queretaro and Guanajuato etc. , but I don't think exclusively. Those states are not known for their fabulous cuisines, although I think this is arguable.

We walked by the Appleby's and checked out their menu - it was "American" food of the most revulting variety. Nothing that could even remotely be considered Mexican much less regional. Unless in Chihuahua they claim to have invented "Buffalo wings"...so I don't know what they are talking about.

We walked by the Appleby's and checked out their menu - it was "American" food of the most revulting variety. Nothing that could even remotely be considered Mexican much less regional. Unless in Chihuahua they claim to have invented "Buffalo wings"...so I don't know what they are talking about.

Well, perhaps it is time to do a "Best of Mexico City" list which would then include regional specialties? How about some help on this!

I have heard that Casa Merlos is an excellent place for Puebla dishes. I'll try to go there in my next trip and I'll report.

Well, perhaps it is time to do a "Best of Mexico City" list which would then include regional specialties? How about some help on this!

We need to do more research; I have yet to discover a truly excellent Oaxacan, Poblano or Veracruzano place here...and these are 3 of the most elaborate cuisines...

I don't know how many of you have ever seen this web site Restaurantes de Mexico (pretty much Spanish only) but if you click on the drag down box labeled "Estado y Cuidad" you can bring up 1,734 entries for D.F.

Sounds like an awful lot of research to me.......... :wink:

Know the site. More like the directory for every restaurant in the city. Good for phone numbers and addresses. But for the real nitty gritty, yes research. That old go out and eat at restaurants that friends recommend , that you've heard rumors about and don't ever get back on the scale until the search has ended or the doctore tells you your cholesterol is about to put you in the hospital!

Life is never easy but you gotta do what you gotta do!

• 3 weeks later...

I did go to Casa Merlos (behind the Escuela Preparatoria # 4, which is on Av. Observatorio) on a Friday afternoon (around 3:15pm). We had to wait about 15min for a table. It is a fairly simple, inexpensive restaurant. We had very tasty, very traditional poblano dishes (chalupas, mole with turkey, rajas). I will definetely go back in my next trip and try other dishes. Note that it is only open for lunch and closes Mon, Tue & Wed.

I have heard that Casa Merlos is an excellent place for Puebla dishes. I'll try to go there in my next trip and I'll report.

We need to do more research; I have yet to discover a truly excellent Oaxacan, Poblano or Veracruzano place here...and these are 3 of the most elaborate cuisines...