• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Class with Emily Luchetti

iii_bake

I attended the World Gourmet Festival at the Four Seasons here in Bangkok, the class of Emily Luchetti ( Author of Passion for desserts etc, the 2004 James Beard Foundation Pastry Chef of the year).

The dishes were not that fancy like those of Sam Mason's class i took last year BUT she is absolutely a lovely teacher and was never tired or bored with basic baking Qs from students. She happily explained things in more details so all could get the picture. ( Thanks Emily)

The desserts were delicious and easy to make.

Since it was such a lovely afternoon well spent, i would like to share the experience, and Emily does deserve applauses!

(Will go to William Ledeuil of Ze Kitchen Galerie from Paris tomorrow, hope it is another afternoon well spent.)

iii

:smile::smile::smile:

I attended the World Gourmet Festival at the Four Seasons here in Bangkok, the class of Emily Luchetti ( Author of  Passion for desserts etc, the 2004 James Beard Foundation Pastry Chef of the year).

The  dishes were not that fancy like those of Sam Mason's class i took last year BUT she is absolutely a lovely teacher and was never tired or bored with basic baking Qs from students. She happily explained things in more details so all could get the picture. ( Thanks Emily)

Sounds very nice. I've been a fan of her desserts in various SF restaurants and of her cookbooks for a long time. I am going to get her latest release on ice cream desserts after looking through it.

What desserts did you make in the class?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I just received a copy of her book from the library, "Stars Desserts", which is now out of print unfortunately. I ate there when she was the head pastry chef and it was still in business. I have also been to Farallon which is equally as wonderful. The book mentioned above is wonderful and so are her desserts. It was her chocolate cake recipe from it that helped me to develop my own.

The library just notified me this morning that her 4-star dessert book is ready for pickup. Can't wait to pick it up!

Glad you enjoyed her class.

Emily has always been a pastry inspiration to me, ever since I read 'stars' and '4-star desserts' at the first restaurant I ever worked in. And I've eaten dessert quite a few times at Farralon, and one of my best friends used to work there and LOVED it! You're quite lucky to have taken a class with her...

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

I attended the World Gourmet Festival at the Four Seasons here in Bangkok, the class of Emily Luchetti ( Author of  Passion for desserts etc, the 2004 James Beard Foundation Pastry Chef of the year).

The  dishes were not that fancy like those of Sam Mason's class i took last year BUT she is absolutely a lovely teacher and was never tired or bored with basic baking Qs from students. She happily explained things in more details so all could get the picture. ( Thanks Emily)

Sounds very nice. I've been a fan of her desserts in various SF restaurants and of her cookbooks for a long time. I am going to get her latest release on ice cream desserts after looking through it.

What desserts did you make in the class?

She made Walnut Cake with Moscato d'Asti Sabayon

Coffee Meringues with Coconut Ice cream

and Milk Chocolate Towers.

I attended the class of Nancy Silverton some time ago, unlike Emily, she made us feel like frozen the whole time ( i cannot say why but it was quite uncomfortable) and that tends to scare me off from famous chefs. But today, the teacher and the giver in Emily did shine through.

Lovely!

Oh my, the walnut cake just made me drool.

She has a gingerbread cake with warm apples and cider sabayon in her Star's book that I am dying to try. The cake looks so moist. I open it up and stare at it from time to time as a quiet distraction, like a day at the beach but with sabayon. :raz:

Oh my, the walnut cake just made me drool. 

She has a gingerbread cake with warm apples and cider sabayon in her Star's book that I am dying to try.  The cake looks so moist.  I open it up and stare at it from time to time as a quiet distraction, like a day at the beach but with sabayon.  :raz:

Pls Bake it and tell me about it.

She said she loves sabayon and cannot imagine living without it.

Oh, how lovely and exciting! (I'll carry your suitcases and take notes for you!)

I have noted that down!

And if there is a good class next year, I will send you a proposal n you've got to come here and take notes for me!!!

( It would also be nice to meet Sarah Phillips in the flesh of course!)

:smile:

The library just notified me this morning that her 4-star dessert book is ready for pickup. Can't wait to pick it up!

I've made the Snappy Gingersnap recipe from that book many, many times. It's my absolute favourite. I love gingersnaps, but I find most gingersnap cookies to be too cakey and sweet, but hers is chewy yet crispy, and has the perfect amount of ginger (I like a lot of ginger, and sometimes I add even more).

I had no idea her books were out of print. They were always on my list of "must buys", but never actually made it into my hands. A quick search on Amazon finds Classic Stars Desserts, which has not yet been published. I hope this book has a lot of the Stars and Four Star recipes! (Used copies of the other two are available, however!)