• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
PakePorkChop

Italian Bread in Hawaii

I'm looking for airy ciabatta and nice hardy crusts.

No one is responding so I will have to resort to a Bobby Flay throw-down here.

Both Antonio's Pizza and La Pizza Rina use Italian rolls from Daily Bread Bakery on King Street. Does that not suggest that this is the best Italian roll in Hawaii?

For ciabatta, Patisserie. St. Germain's is a little dry.

While we're at it, best French bread is at St. Germain, followed by Bale. The crust of the French bread at Daily Bread is a little gummy.

Agree? Disagree?

Chew. Discuss.

I agree about the French bread from St. Germain and Bale. I used to get my Italian bread from Donato's restaurant in Manoa (I'd call them and they'd sell me a few loaves), but sadly that is no more. I'm not a ciabatta fan so can't answer to that!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Aloha, Suzy!

I knew that I could count on you!

Quick questions: Why is Donato's bread no longer available to you? Why are you not a fan of chiabatta?

On a separate note, glossyp and I agree that we are long overdue for an egullet "chew the fat" session.

We know that you are way over there in Mililani. Is there any date, time, and place that is more convenient for you than others?

glossyp   

I agree completely regarding

1) an eGullet get together

2) St Germaine French Bread

Donato's closed its doors in February and that's why bread is no longer available from them.

I bake Italian breads like ciabatta at home (when the weather cools off allowing for more tolerable baking conditions) using Peter Reinhardt's bread book 'The Breadbaker's Apprentice' as reference. Just for giggles here is a link to a post with photos of my first attempt at ciabatta.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

On a separate note, glossyp and I agree that we are long overdue for an egullet "chew the fat" session.

We know that you are way over there in Mililani.  Is there any date, time, and place that is more convenient for you than others?

Last I recall, there are special rules that need to be followed for an "offical" eGullet get-together, and this board no longer seems to have a dedicated moderator since SKChai resigned...

I'll PM you, but weren't you just asking about soul food places (like Molly's Smokehouse in Wahiawa)? I also haven't yet tried the new Cuban place in Chinatown. Have either of you?

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Tkrup   

Don't know if you've done it already, but if you haven't I'd love to do a get-together if I'm in town (I travel a lot for work). Let me know...my wife and I are both members!!! We've got some questions and opinions we'd like to share with those who have watched the culinary landscape evolve here on the island.

glossyp   

Well it looks like we have a few interested. As SuzySushi suggested, perhaps we need to go offline to organize. Can someone volunteer to help coordinate? I'm buried with projects and deadlines or I'd offer. I will be there though - there's always time to eat!

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

it may be too obvious, but costco does sell the par baked/fresh baked la brea bakery breads and some grace baking loaves as well. they finish them in house and are often warm. these are pretty traditional french loaves with a decent crust and crumb :smile:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      Today I would like to share with you a recipe for a slightly different sandwich. Instead of traditional vegetables, I recommend strawberry salsa, and rather than a slice of ham – a golden grilled slice of Halloumi cheese. Only one thing is missing – a fresh and fragrant bread roll.

Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese made with sheep's milk or a mixture of sheep's, goat's and cow's milk. It is semihard and so flexible that it is excellent for frying and barbecuing, and it is great fresh too.

Ingredients (for two people)
      2 fresh rolls of your choice
      2 big lettuce leaves
      4 slices of Halloumi cheese
      2 teaspoons of butter
      salsa:
      8 strawberries
      half a chili pepper
      2 tablespoons of minced peppermint leaves
      ¼ a red onion
      2 tablespoons of chopped almond without the skin
      1 teaspoon of honey
      2 tablespoons of lemon juice
      2 tablespoons of balsamic sauce

Start by preparing the salsa. Wash the strawberries, remove the shanks and cube them. Dice the onion and chili pepper. Mix the strawberries with the onion, chili pepper, peppermint and almonds. Spice it up with honey and lemon juice. Leave in the fridge for half an hour. Grill the slices of Halloumi cheese until they are golden. Cut the fresh rolls in half and spread them with butter. Put a lettuce leaf on each half of roll, then a slice of the Halloumi cheese, one tablespoon of salsa, another slice of cheese and two tablespoons of salsa. Spice it up with balsamic sauce. Cover with the other half of the roll. Prepare the second sandwich in the same way. Serve at once while the cheese is still hot.

Enjoy your meal!

• By yentakaren
      Hi there Italian chefs around the world -    Two years ago (while visiting my family in New York - we live for 25 years in California))  we went to New York and ate in an Italian Restaurant in Syosset Long Island, New York (Steve's Piccola Bussola) and ordered their Chicken Cacciatore.  It was unbelievable, so savory and tender and juice and it had 4 lean and juicy (no skin, no fat, no gristle) rollups wrapped around what looked like a small (about 1-2" rib bone) (in chicken???_ was able to get some of the recipe because I called them 2x, but after 5 tries at various times, I am giving up.  He (the chef) said they used thighs - but the thighs I know are fatty and tough so I don't know where they got it.  He said they buy the whole chickens and cut it up, so I guess they can get rid of the fat,skin and gristle that way.   One, because I am never able to get their dark brown sauce (don't know how they do it because having a brown sauce by working with chicken, mushrooms, wine and onions is an enigma.  Their sauce is not sweet, or sour just rich and savory.   I saw the kind of sauce that it was when I saw the recipe of Hubert Keller's Beef Borguignon on TV, but it looked soooo difficult and was made with meat, not chicken. That has meat rollups sitting in a dark brown sauce.   Help!  I want to learn how to make that.   The initial recipe that they gave me was this:     Take chicken and cut it into pieces the size of a meatball with or without the bone.
      Take olive oil and make very hot.  Brown.  Add 2 cups chicken stock, salt and pepper, parsley, and simmer for ½ hour.  After brown, put until broiler and brown some more.
      In another skillet, put mushrooms, onions, little tomato sauce, and when sizzling and hot, add white wine (or Marsala) and cook in pan – ½ hour.  Add butter to thicken – but do not boil after butter melts
      Said I can also put a little tomato sauce in there - maybe it was tomato paste.
      After ready, marry the two and cook another 15 minutes all together (or not) – just eat it.

Below is a photo of Steve's Chicken Cacciatore - I know it looks like beef, but this is chicken!

• By Shel_B
      Not sure if the subject line really reflects the situation and my question.

Sweetie made a couple of loaves of soda bread the other day, and cut the top of the loaf in order to make a pattern something like THIS.  However, the pattern or cut mark didn't show on the finished loaf.  I don't know much more other than she said she made the cut "pretty deep."

What might be the cause of the cut mark not showing on the finished loaf?  Thanks!
    • By Christy Martino
      Ciao!

I'm Christine and I'm a born and bred New Yorker. I’m an Italian by blood (and at heart, of course) since my parents actually came from Italy. My father was from Sciacca, Sicily while my mother was from Sondrio, Lombardy. Despite coming from different regions, or because of it, love for food and cooking has been one of the mainstays in my family home life growing up. And I’ve always loved the dishes my parents prepared during special occasions, and even on regular days.

And of course, I love cooking (and eating) Italian food and I have a few recipes from my mother, but I'd really love to collect some more, especially the traditional ones. And if anyone can contribute some historical background to each dish, that would be really great.

Grazie mille!