• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hudson, NY

lambretta76

I've seen town-specific posts for cities like Troy, Beacon, and Schenectady, but nothing for just Hudson, NY.

Can anyone recommend any great restaurants in this town? Any amazing food shops? Is Bolgen and Moi still around? Is Swoon Kitchenbar still good? How about some cafes or places where one could get a decent sandwich or something for the road. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Sadly, Bolgen and Moi is gone. I had three spectacular meals there, I don't know what happened.

I love the Red Dot, one of the few places around that has Old Speckled Hen on tap. They also serve Ommegang, which is brewed near Cooperstown. I've always enjoyed the food especially the frites with Belgian mayo. The atmosphere is relaxed, they have an outdoor patio behind the restaurant with a wood burning stove to help fend off chilly evenings. The Red Dot is always my first stop after a long ride up the thruway. The red Dot is on the 300 block of Warren Street.

For breakfast I like Earth Foods. The coffee is good and they always have interesting specials.

When I'm packing a lunch for a trip to points unknown in the Hudson Valley, I usually stop in Olde Hudson. They have a nice selection of breads, cheeses and olives. The new wine shop is a nice place to pick up a bottle or two of interesting wines, the proprietor is very knowledgeable, and has always chosen interesting wines for me to try. I'm sorry I can't remember the name, I think it is on the 300 block of Warren Street.

I had lunch at Swoon Kitchen Bar about a year ago and enjoyed it, so I think its still good!

Many of my friends have eaten at Mexican Radio and said the food was good. I haven't been there, so I can't comment.

I was in Hudson a few weeks ago, and many of the recently (within the last two to three years) opened shops have unfortunately closed. Among them are The Velvet Egg, Shop Naked and Jovey.

There's also a new combination pub, bookstore and art supply place called the Spotty Dog Books and Ale on the 400 Block of Warren St. I haven't tried any food yet, but the bar is fun.

I hope this helps, I'll be going back up there in a few weeks, I'll try some new places and take notes.

That stinks about Bolgen and Moi. I heard great things about it and really had wanted to check it out. Anyways.... Sharky, thanks for the insight - I'll be there on Sunday and will let you know if I come across anything interesting and will definitely take your recommendations with me.

Well - we didn't make it into town until after 5. Let me tell you this - the entire town is shut down on Sundays at 5 pm - I think the only restaurant open was Ca' Mea, which we didn't have time for. So, next time I guess we'll try and go at a more appropriate time - thanks for your recs, though, Sharky.

FYI - to other readers, Olde Hudson (Also closed on Sunday at 5 pm) is on ROute 82 on the way towards the Taconic.

lambretta76,

Hudson does close early on Sundays, sorry you couldn't find a place for dinner.

You're right about the big Olde Hudson on 82. The Olde Hudson folks bought that location from Rural Gourmet, they used to do BBQ on Saturday nights and I really liked their pies, I think they may have come from Love Apple Farms. I haven't been there since Olde Hudson took over

The original Olde Hudson, a small double storefront, is still on Warren Street, at least it was three weeks ago!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Hudson Farmers market yesterday and got a bunch of great things.. I purchased this huge hen of woods mushroom.. It was in one piece and easily served 4 people.. It was 10 bucks.. I also purchased two types of kale, these really pretty fingerlings, gooseberries, the garlic was too expensive, fresh milk and cream,some bacon, some apples for a pie, wild baby arugala, and a shopping bag full of basil for 2 bucks.. Really. the amount of basil I have is ridiculous.. Along the way to Hudson we also stopped by Shortcake Farms where I bought some really pretty Heirlooms..

The market is small but, the products are great.. Speaking with one the vendors, he just sent some pigs to the butcher so there will be some fun pig things next weekend..

Will post some photos later, anyone know if the market is open today?

Edited by Daniel (log)

I went to the Hudson Farmers market yesterday and got a bunch of great things.. I purchased this huge hen of woods mushroom.. It was in one piece and easily served 4 people.. It was 10 bucks.. I also purchased two types of kale, these really pretty fingerlings, gooseberries, the garlic was too expensive, fresh milk and cream,some bacon, some apples for a pie, wild baby arugala, and a shopping bag full of basil for 2 bucks.. Really. the amount of basil I have is ridiculous.. Along the way to Hudson we also stopped by Shortcake Farms where I bought some really pretty Heirlooms..

The market is small but, the products are great.. Speaking with one the vendors, he just sent some pigs to the butcher so there will be some fun pig things next weekend..

Will post some photos later, anyone know if the market is open today?

I wish we had some hen of the woods at our farmers market in Rhineeck. We have one guy there sellling oyster mushrooms, but I could really go for a roasted Hen...

We were also in Hudson yesterday, at Baba Louie's. Love that greek salad, and their pizzas are very tasty too. Last night must have been baby night, as it seemed every table (ours included) had a baby sitting at it...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Thats funny my girl is trying to talk me into go to Baba Louie's in Great Barrington right now..

The same friend who introduced me to Baba Louie's also introduced me to a terrific specialty shop in Great Barrington called Rubiner's. If you haven't been, you should go. Right now. :biggrin:

Is Rubiners the place in the old bank.. Its very cool..Yesterday we drove all over the place and got lost. We ended up in Rhineback and went to this place 40 west.. I will post dinner shots when I find the thread..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Is Rubiners the place in the old bank.. Its very cool..Yesterday we drove all over the place and got lost. We ended up in Rhineback and went to this place 40 west.. I will post dinner shots when I find the thread..

That's the place. My friend calls it a "mini Dean and Deluca"

40 West, in my opinion, is horrible. I will not be back. Hope you experience there was better...

Adventurous menu, the food did not live up to the description.. The amuse was duck liver mousse served on a stale toast.. In one dish there was way too much salt, the other was completely killed by lemon. The couple next to us at the bar got a burger, it looked awesome.. They said it was too.. The room is very pretty. I will not be back anytime soon.

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 5 months later...

I realize I missed the weekend in question but there's a new place about 15 minutes outside of Hudson...(Philmont to be exact on Route 217 which is a right turn off of 23B heading east from Hudson) called Local 111. It's on Main St, Philmont (which is route 217) in a former service station across from the Stewarts. I know it sounds ridiculous but it is lovely atmosphere (really good renovation) and excellent food using lots of local produce and products, hence the name. We have had three good meals there including a simple brunch one Sunday. I did hear a story of a really bad night with very slow service and not fabulous food but the manager gave them their entrees free in apology. I imagine it was just that a bad night.