• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet Montréal

lamington

hey all sweet and creamy people:) I'm heading to Montréal in a week's time on a virgin visit, spending four days (Sun-Weds) there. My interest is sweet things (chocolate, pastries, gateaux, glaces) which are realllllly special in Mtl. What is almost unique to or exceptionally executed in Mtl?

I'm praying I'll make it to Havre aux Glaces at JTM, but my host groaned at the thought of trekking to JTM on public transport -- he lives in Anjou-Montréal (apparently "miles away" from JTM)... we'll see which stubborn person wins that one.

I am also NOT looking for good versions of stuff I can get in Paris or Sicily (both later destinations on this journey), but things which really are special to Mtl/Québec.

I'm on a bit of a budget so I live in fear of chocolatiers, but maybe you can persuade me to open the changepurse. I've read mention of truffles from un,deux,trois,chocolat... and a change of location? And what about those pecan caramels from Les Chocolats de Chloé -- are they really special? And the brownies from Olive and Gourmando sound intriguing, but perhaps not world-shatteringly special?

What more more more...?

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

I'm praying I'll make it to Havre aux Glaces at JTM, but my host groaned at the thought of trekking to JTM on public transport -- he lives in Anjou-Montréal (apparently "miles away" from JTM)... we'll see which stubborn person wins that one.

i think most people who've been to havre aux glaces/jean talon market would agree that you should win this one by any means necessary. maybe just try to go when it's not crowded (can any locals chime in on whether/when jtm has a time when it's not crowded?).

And what about those pecan caramels from Les Chocolats de Chloé -- are they really special

i think that the pecan caramels from les chocolats de chloe are really special. most chocolatiers are so focused on making fancy truffles that they might not think of making something so simple but so good. and, i think they'd be a great treat to take on the plane with you en route to your next destination.

can't believe it's not butter? i can.

Thanks for your comments so far folks... keep 'em coming!

Campofiorin: while Geneviève de Grandbois might be a 'no brainer', what makes it that way? Remember, I'm after very special or unique things rather than just an outstanding chocolatier. :biggrin:

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

There is the dragon beard candy maker on Lagauchetiere street in Chinatown. It is a small window near clark street I think. Unusual I think .

And starting on the weekend of the 30th of september , the sweet and spicy nuts at Marché Jean-Talon , in front of Marché des saveurs will be back !!!! ( We make them for our foundation...)

If you can manage to find the real chocolate covered blueberries from the trappist monks , they are very good. The season is comming to an end... Somebody elses makes these as well , but I've found that the chocolate is not as good as those from the monks.

Edited by toto2 (log)

visit my fondation: www.ptitslutins.org

I started a food blog : http://antoniodelaruepapineau.blogspot.com/

(in french)