• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which tequila to use for mixing

Kent Wang

Jeff, if you like the Herradura style (I certainly do), you MUST try to find the 100% agave El Jimador bottlings. If we were talking wine (esp. Red Bordeaux), we'd call El Jimador the "second label" of Casa Herradura -- (nearly) just as good for (nearly) half the price. I know they make El Jimador blanco and reposado, both at ~$20/750 around me, but I can't recall seeing an anejo. Outstanding product, great price-point, hard to go wrong. My wife does not drink much, but she do like some Margaritas, so we've been running taste-test comparisons with a variety of reasonably-priced 100% agave blancos over the past months. Bar none, the El Jimador Reposado is her favorite (and she can pick it out blind, without fail).

Other bargains that scored very well (for me, anyway) are:

Casa San Matias “Pueblo Viejo”

Tierra de Agaves “Lunazul”

Neither one of us were much impressed with the value-priced “Tenampa Azul” bottling from Gran Centenario. I know others love this stuff, but our bottle will probably become taco meat seasoning (not a bad thing!).

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is anyone using the Lunazul blanco? We have it at work as the well tequila right now. At home, just got my first bottle of Milagro blanco; haven't started fiddling with that yet.

I've only had the Lunazul reposodo which lent itself quite well to mixing, but I imagine the blanco is good too. I've also had the Milagro blanco and that's a very nice tequila, and a decent price for a 100% blue agave.

Disclaimer: I'm not much of a connoisseur of tequila, so take my assessments with a lick of salt.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

• 3 weeks later...

We've been using the El Jimador reposado at work lately. It's pretty tasty. Sadly, the PLCB has raised the price of the Siembra Azul astronomically. :angry:

At home, I've been working my way through a bottle of Gran Centenario Blanco a friend brought me back from Mexico. It's quite delicious and seems to be available here as well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Both the Lunazul blanco and reposado are very, very good at their price points. Highly recommended, along with the 100% agave El Jimadors.

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

I agree with Mike S - Lunazul reposado is a nice bargain tequila for sipping (I'm not much on the spendy stuff, it tends to get used up too quickly). I haven't dome much mixing with it though.

I don't like El Jimador as much for sipping, but it makes a damn fine paloma. They say that theirs is the "authentic" paloma recipe. I don't know about that, but it's definitely tasty.

It's not cheap, but I sure do like Charbay's Tequila.

My current favorite Blanco.

Smooth and well distilled. Nice vegetal apple/pear character. Incredible length. Very tasty.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA