• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shanghai: Michelin and Zagat

Kent Wang

I've read that both Michelin and Zagat have released their guides for Shanghai, yet can find very little information about the ratings.

A blogger posted on April 7, 2006 that the Michelin guide has been published for Shanghai.

World Travel Guide states that Sens is "Shanghai’s first three-star Michelin star restaurant".

This was about all I could find. I want to know which other restaurants received Michelin stars and high Zagat ratings and if those guides only covered the Western restaurants.

Michelin does not have any guides in Shanghai or elsewhere in Asia, something that few people seem to know in a region that puts a huge importance on Michelin stars. Concerning Sens, the quote should have read something like it being Shanghai's first restaurant "run" by 3 michelin star chefs, not the first 3 star restaurant itself. This was indeed the case, though since the demotion of the Pourcel brothers Montpelier restaurant to 2 stars, it is no longer. The only restaurant in Shanghai run by a 3 star michelin chef at this time is Jean Georges, since the publication of the Michelin guide to New York.

Zagat does have a guide though, and it covers Western, Chinese and all other restaurants.

According to Imperial Tours Jean Georges received the highest Zagat rating, though the guide went to press before Sens opened.

Bloomberg does report that Michelin has plans for Shanghai.

``If we begin with Shanghai, we could have a guide out as soon as 2006,'' Naret said. ``Tokyo is a complicated city, so if we start there, it probably won't be until 2007.''

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Shanghai is at the level (YET!) to have a decent Michielin Guide. Perhaps in about 5 years, then there can be some serious discussions.

I believe Jean-Georges is number 1 for Zagat, of course it would be!

There aren't too many restaurants in that level yet.

Laris is a cheaper alternative and Sens is a bit overrated. I want to give Jean George another shot however, but I feel its too difficult. Having been to the one in NYC, its hard to enjoy it in Shanghai. The scrambled egg caviar is amazing though, i'll give it that!

I don't think Shanghai is at the level (YET!) to have a decent Michielin Guide. Perhaps in about 5 years, then there can be some serious discussions.

I believe Jean-Georges is number 1 for Zagat, of course it would be!

There aren't too many restaurants in that level yet.

Laris is a cheaper alternative and Sens is a bit overrated. I want to give Jean George another shot however, but I feel its too difficult. Having been to the one in NYC, its hard to enjoy it in Shanghai. The scrambled egg caviar is amazing though, i'll give it that!

To be honest i think michelin would be a bit wasted as yet as theres only really five restaurants to be worthy of the guide I opened Jade on 36, Shangri-la Hotel, designed by Adam Tihany, as Head Chef under Chef de Cuisine Paul Pairet, Then there is JG in my view the best, Sens is ok but no more than 1 star and then there is Laris and one more i cant think of the name of in Xintandi which is an austrailian chef if i remember and would struggle with Laris to get one star.

If Michelin wouldn't even list more than five restaurants in Shanghai, they have their heads so completely up their nether quarters that they should NEVER put out any guides for China! Perhaps they wouldn't want to give a star to a restaurant that doesn't have the level of formality a one-star would provide in France, but there are Shanghainese restaurants in Shanghai with great food and reasonably comfortable accomodations, in rooms with nice decor, and surely these would deserve a listing. (Of course, I care a lot less about anything other than the food, but perhaps that's not Michelin's point of view.)

Perhaps what we should conclude is that if you have an accurate impression of what Michelin would do with a guide for Shanghai, such a guide would be completely beside the point. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. So if you go to Shanghai, you should spend most of your time eating delicious Shanghainese food. Right?

Michael aka "Pan"

Surely there are Chinese restaurants in Shanghai that rival Michelin-grade restaurants in creativity, complexity and formality? Can someone more knowledgeable with the area name some examples? Don't tell me all these rich real estate moguls are eating only in European/international cuisine restaurants.

Surely there are Chinese restaurants in Shanghai that rival Michelin-grade restaurants in creativity, complexity and formality? Can someone more knowledgeable with the area name some examples? Don't tell me all these rich real estate moguls are eating only in European/international cuisine restaurants.

Dont get me wrong there are many good chinese restaurants in Shanghai and there local cuisine is fantastic, some of the best food i had out there was when i ate with my chinese chefs at restaurants, that resemble peoples front room and you wouldnt have a chance of understanding the menu unless you were with a chinese speaking person.

There are a couple of very upmarket Chinese restaurants, i was only naming the European cuisine restaurants of a high standing, If you want something really crazy and good go to Jade on 36, very innovative and different, the Chef de Cuisine has cooked all over the world