• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tough wine pairing

sadistick

Well, I plan on making a beet stock to use as the liquid, reducing it and having a strong beet flavour. If when you say toasted you mean cooking the rice before deglazing till they become translucent, then yes...always :)

I plan on using a mild flavoured cheese to finish the risotto, havent decided on that part yet, but im sure there will be parmigiano and maybe pecorino.

Just need a wine pairing for this course.

What other clues do you require?

First pecorino in a risotto? I don't think so. Too intense for the delicate rice and too sharp for the sweet beets.

Matching a wine is not a problem. The sweetness of the beets requires a dry wine of with intense fruit sweetness. A modern styled Dolcetto is just the ticket. I would recommend the most current vintage available of Marcarini Dolcetto or another gem like that.

You can find my risotto method here

A really fruity Pinot Noir might work too, although I like Craig's suggestion of a dolcetto a lot.

Domaine Serene Yamhill Cuvee could be a worthy contender.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

That Domaine Serene is freakin' delicious!

The Dierberg 2004 Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir I tasted today might be a good match too.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

First pecorino in a risotto? I don't think so. Too intense for the delicate rice and too sharp  for the sweet beets.

Matching a wine is not a problem. The sweetness of the beets requires a dry wine of with intense fruit sweetness. A modern styled Dolcetto is just the ticket. I would recommend the most current vintage available of Marcarini Dolcetto or another gem like that.

You can find my risotto method here

A younger pecorinno would contrast the sweetness of the beets quite well actually. Especially when its a blend of cheese and not all that much pec.

You guys mention Pinot for the fruit etc...would a shiraz work? or would that be too big?

Cheers.

I guess I don't see the point in using a beet stock for a beet risotto. It will end up tasting like a plate of mushy beets. Use a veggie stock for the cooking process and add the beet "essence" at the end when you mount it with a little butter. Ditch the pecorino idea and mount the risotto with marscarpone in place of the butter.

Suggest a white - Maybe an Albarino or Gavi? Reds? Dolcetto is a great choice or a Barbera (Pio Cesare?)

I guess I don't see the point in using a beet stock for a beet risotto. It will end up tasting like a plate of mushy beets. Use a veggie stock for the cooking process and add the beet "essence" at the end when you mount it with a little butter. Ditch the pecorino idea and mount the risotto with marscarpone in place of the butter.

Suggest a white - Maybe an Albarino or Gavi? Reds? Dolcetto is a great choice or a Barbera (Pio Cesare?)

Nice recipe idea.

A lot of this depends upon how rich and

intensely beety this risotto will be.

also white wine would be ideal.

However, I would suggest a richer fuller bodied white.

Chardonnay with some buttery richness and with earthy notes.

A nice big Burgundy or one of the modern style Italians.

for red--I would stay lighter and dry, a Barbaresco or one of the

better Valpolicellas!

Gordon, it definetly wont end up tasting like a plate of mushy beets, at least not if I'm cooking it :wink:

If you use a reduced liquid which is strained properly, that will give an intense beet flavour to the risotto...adding a 'essence' of beet at the end will not achieve as strong a flavour, trust me.

I have done it this way for tomato risotto as well as mushroom - make a well flavoured liquid and use that as the cooking liquid, and it comes out amazing each time.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I have won a few risotto competitions in the past, so this method is tried tested and true.

Oh, and no marscapone will ever come near any of my risotto's :raz:

I actually have a Pio Cesare barbera...but its only a 98 and I wanted to hold on to it for a few more years...I am thinking a lighter fruity pinot at this point.

I actually have a Pio Cesare barbera...but its only a 98 and I wanted to hold on to it for a few more years...I am thinking a lighter fruity pinot at this point.

Should be delicious right now, I'd think.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Should be delicious right now, I'd think.

Even if it's Barbera D'Alba - it's ready to go. I guess I enjoy nice roasted beets but not enough to showcase them - even a world cup risotto.

A younger pecorinno would contrast the sweetness of the beets quite well actually.  Especially when its a blend of cheese and not all that much pec.

You just made every Italian reading this cringe. I'd have to disagree on that. A good pecorino is too pungent. Of course, the industrial version is almost flavorless so that would not be a problem.

Why would you want to do that? A regular Pio Cesare Barbera could be past its prime at this point. They certainly don't make it with aging in mind. This kind of barbera is all about the fruit - not about bottle age.

It's funny you mentioned beet risotto. In last the NY Times 2 weeks ago they reviewed Felidia in N.Y. and raved about a beet risotto with Humboldt Fog Goat Cheese and Balsamico Tradizionale. What a combo!

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??