• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ludovic Lefevbre leaves Bastide

Swicks

In the LA Times Food section today there is an article about how Ludo has left Bastide over "creative differences" with owner Joe Pytka. The restaurant has been closed for redesign and menu/concept change and the chef and owner were working together on a new menu but apparantly Lefevbre had enough of Pytka changing his mind. I think in the end this will be a good move for Lefevbre, he is currently out looking for backing for his own restaurant.

Pretty big news if you ask me, though not totally surprising given Pytka's history with chefs. Doesnt seem like the restaurants "new concept" will be any good.

Here is the article:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo...ack=1&cset=true

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I am more interested to see where Lefevbre winds up. Will he stay in L.A.?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Do you think Los Angeles does want to go there? I'm not sure they do. The culinary landscape for the last year seems to be dominated by the ubiquitous steakhouse. They came as though lined-up, one after another, each trying to put a posh spin on a classic but maybe muddying the waters all the while? We could definitely use a shake-up, but I don't know if diners in the City of Angels want pina colada foie and what not. Time will tell.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I think if he is wise he stays in LA. I do agree that it is questionable if LA wants a restaurant that he could create. I would think he has the chance to really set himself apart and creat a unique place to call his own, I don't think this is as easily achieveable in New York for example. I can't imagine he would have too tough of a time finding backers for his own place.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

• 1 month later...